Unplanned trip to Columbus and back today.  Seven hours of driving.  :(  Hot here, just like practically everywhere in the U.S..  Still feel good about the race yesterday.   Next two goals: get my achilles tendon healed (decrease run volume, increase bike and swim, do all my exercises and stretching, and all that jazz) and increase my biking to get ready for a century ride.  Hmmmm?  Funny how those two things go together!
  • 32m 21s
  • 9.25 miles
  • 17.16 Mi/hr
  • 28m 12s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 09m 24s /Mi
  • 10m 53s
  • 440.00 yards
  • 02m 28s /100 yards

Just got back from my first tri.  Sue and I had a GREAT time.  We finished only about a minute apart from each other.  Times are off my watch.  Official times will not be posted for a couple of days.  My total watch time was 1:15:41. official time 1:15:43.  The official times are in my race report.  The swim/bike/run times in my log are off my watch. 

Oh and I got 2nd in my AG!  Pretty amazing!  Race report later.  11pm: race report done!  I am tired and need to go to bed.

And now it is the day before.  Spent the day volunteering at an outdoor education event for kids.   Sue picked up my race number for me so I stopped at her house on the way to home to pick it up (and drop off her son who was at the event I was working at).  Came home and finished cleaning out the chicken pen I started before all the rain hit last week.  I got my bike tires all pumped and ready to go, but still have to organize everything else. 


  • 40m
  • -----
  • -----

OWS in Lake Erie.

Sue and I had a very nice swim this evening.  The bacterial count advisories that had been posted the last couple days have been taken down.  (We had a LOT of rain earlier in the week and advisories always go out due to the heavy runoff of water into the lake.)   The big ol' lake was REALLY calm tonight.  Made swimming in it very nice.  Sue's son came along too to help watch over us since the lifeguards aren't on duty in the evening.  There were quite a few other groups of people swimming, or playing, or snorkeling.  Kind of fun!

I had a brief bit of dizziness again on our first leg of the swim.  I got mad and said to myself, "NO!" and then put my head down and started swimming again.  It went away almost as quick as it came and it never came back.  I really started to enjoy the out and back legs of the swim.  It was fun swiming for about 5-7 minutes at a crack without having to turn at a wall.  Cool feeling!

I spent about 40 minutes in the water and while I didn't notice until about the last 5 minutes, I was getting pretty cold being in 71 degree water.  Took me quite awhile to warm up after I got home.

Overall tonight was a positive experience.  I am as ready for Sunday as I can be.  I just hope I don't freak too much with all the bumping of bodies on the swim. 

  • Walking
  • 1h 03m

Walked at lunchtime today. 4.3 miles. 14:39 pace.

I didn't quite know what to do for exercise today.  I forgot to set my alarm to get up early to bike commute so that was out.  I knew I had a lot of farm stuff to do in the evening so after work would be a challenge.  I didn't want to run and risk messing up my achilles tendon before Sunday's tri (it has been doing better but not 100%).  So I decided to go for a nice 1 hour walk at lunch since I had a little extra time.  I had a really nice walk on some roads I haven't been on before.  Found some really pretty new homes going up.  It was warm and muggy out though.  Ended up taking off my t-shirt and just had a sports bra on top (and shorts on the bottom!  :)  ).  Hope I didn't offend anyone in the neighborhood by walking around in a sports bra.

  • 40m
  • -----
  • -----

8pm swim at the Y. No counting laps tonight. I just swam. Most likely the last swim before Sunday's tri unless I happen to squeeze one in on Friday. I felt good tonight. Getting a little nervous about Sunday's swim though.

4 days and counting until my first tri.  I have been calm, cool and collected up to this point, but the reality is starting to set in.  This is going to be SO MUCH FUN!  (I hope, I know it is!)

  • 36m 21s
  • 3.50 miles
  • 10m 23s /Mi

Ran after work on the gravel road near my house.

  • Walking
  • 33m

Warm up: walk 1 mile
Cool down: walk 1 mile

Trial run after 1 week rest.  Achilles felt a little tight during the run.  Didn't affect me really, but I think I am going to have to keep the run miles light for awhile yet.  Did a lot of stretching when I got home and then iced it down.  Will see how it feels tomorrow.

Had to run right after a thunder shower tonight.  Temps were in the mid70's and humidity around 90%.  I hate that.  'nough said.

On the fun note, my neighbor has his heifers and dry cows in the pasture by the road.  Every time I go by, the girls all notice me and follow me down the fenceline.  It's pretty comical getting followed by a herd of cows.

The new bike computer showed up.  :)  Now all I need is some time to put in on the bike.

drdi's Training Log

 July 2006 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2008 totals
  • 2007 totals