Run
  • 1h 02m 17s
  • 6.00 miles
  • 10m 23s /Mi

6am long run. Temp when I left the house was 77 degrees. Humidity 9 million percent (ok a slight exaggeration).

Sport
  • Walking
  • 25m

Warm up: walk one mile, 17 mins
Cool down: walk 1/2 mile, 8 mins

Got up at 5am to do my weekly long run.  Took an hour to feed cats, dogs and some of the poultry.  Ate a piece of pumpkin bread and drank some Gatorade.  Left the house 6am.  VERY humid and the deer flies were HORRIBLE.  Got nailed several times along the way.  Other than feeling a little sapped by the humidity, I felt really good.  I took a very short pee break at 40 mins into the run.  Legs felt a little tired the last 1/4 mile, but that's not bad at all.  1/2 mary plan calls for my long runs to be done at 10:30 min/mile so I was just a tad fast, but not too bad for someone who is new to pacing.

Oh yeah.  This is the first time I have ever ran more than one hour.  :)

Bike
  • 58m
  • 12.00 miles
  • -----

Biked the triathlon bike course and the run course too.

Swim
  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----

First open water swim in Lake Erie.

Well my first open water swim was today.  There were both positives and negatives.  I am trying not to focus too much on the negative, but it is hard because I got sort of sea sick feeling and even though it was several hours ago, I still feel kind of blah.

The positives: 1. water temperature.  I was afraid I would think 70 degrees was too cold, but it didn't bother me at all.  Thank goodness!  2.  My tri shorts and sports bra will work just fine.  Wore them biking immediately after the swim too.  3.  Learned that I need to breathe to just one side (away from the waves).  I am so use to bilateral breathing in the pool that this was tough to get used to, but worked much better once I did.  4.  I wasn't too freaked out about the low visibility in the water.  5.  My running shoes on the bike should work fine for the sprint.  I don't know what the problem was the last time I tried it and it wasn't working, but it was fine today.  I like the feel of the bike shoes better, but for 9 miles, it won't make a big difference.  I don't bike fast anyway. 

The negatives:  1.  I had a really hard time doing front crawl and breathing properly.  I was all out of breath.  Tried to relax, but never quite got there.  Hopefully this will be better with time.  Breast stroke will just have to be my default stroke.  2.  I was doing ok until the last little bit.  I was doing more and more front crawl and at one point I picked my head up to sight and was INCREDIBLY dizzy.  The lake swells were making me sea sick too.  I thought I would feel better once on the bike, but I didn't.  I may have to try something for motion sickness before my next practice swim.  I don't want to have to race feeling like that if I can help it.

Rest day is planned today unless I decided to go for a lake swim.  More likely though, the swim will be tomorrow or Sunday.

It's official (unless it thunderstorms)!  First OWS practice at the site of the triathlon tomorrow (Lake Erie Baby!  Yeah!).  Then we are going to ride the bike course immediately afterward.  I haven't swam in a lake in forever and I have never swam "properly", i.e. front crawl, in a lake.  This should be interesting.

Bike
  • 1h 32m 40s
  • 22.10 miles
  • 14.31 Mi/hr

Well my bike computer died today. RIP. It was old, but it is still sad. So all my stats are with my watch and gmap program.

Bike commute a.m.: 5.6 miles. Direct route in this morning.

Bike commute p.m.: 16.5 miles. First part of brick workout. Boy it was REALLY breezy out. I knew I was in trouble at one point when I was sailing along at 18 mph going uphill. That ain't good when you have to turn the corner! LOL! I've been trying to do easy spinning the last few miles before getting off and running, but that is hard to do when the wind is full force in your face and you are struggling to maintain even 10 mph. I was spinning a high cadence too, but the wind was buffeting me all over. Maybe next week's brick I can try again to lighten up a little on the bike toward the end.

Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 2.10 miles
  • 09m 39s /Mi

Brick workout part two. Transition at 3:29 was longer than most, but I really had to take the time to pee. Also I was getting REALLY hungry so I grabbed a piece of candy and a drink of water before changing my shoes then heading out the door.

Again, my pace was perfectly fine by me, but I felt like crap. Of course I had a tough windy bike ride home, I'd been on my feet all day doing surgery and probably wasn't hydrated/fueled enough. This should all be different for a morning triathlon. I hope!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 07m 20s

Walk 0.45 miles: cool down after brick

I am happy with the way June turned out.  Almost 6 hours in the pool is good for me and the crappy pool schedule.  Went over 200 miles biking in a month for the first time since last year (here's hoping July will be even better!).  Ran over 37 miles which is a PB for a month for me.  My PF is not gone, but it is the best it has been since it started last fall.  Most days I barely notice it which is good.  I'm still having the experience where my foot feels better after I run.  In fact last week I was getting a little recurrence of pain and then did my 10k race on Sunday.  Ever since the race, the pain is almost totally gone.  Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but I ain't complaining!

My first tri is two weeks from Sunday!  I need to get some OWS practice in ASAP.  I am planning on going to the lake this weekend.  Praying that the endless stream of afternoon thunderstorms stays away so I can get a swim in.  I am very excited about the possibilities for July especially with biking and running.  Tomorrow will most likely be a rest day and then I am off work and on play for the following four days!

Bike
  • 2h 05m 51s
  • 30.59 miles
  • 14.58 Mi/hr

Bike commute a.m.: direct route. 5.6 miles/approx. 23 minutes. An absolutely beautiful morning for a commute.

Bike commute p.m.: 25 miles. I was a little worried about the weather as there were thunderstorms around all afternoon, but fortunately they all went away by the time I was ready to leave work. Did a little exploring on some roads I had never ridden on. Did some practicing drinking while riding since I was on quiet country roads. Had to pee at about mile 15, but didn't find a spot until mile 23. Those were 8 painful miles. LOL!

Well I think I have a half mary plan ready to go.  Actually I start  started this week!  I looked at a lot of plans and settled on the one on Runner's World site based on the FIRST marathon plan.  It was originally written as a 10 week plan, but I didn't like some of the big weekly mileage jumps at both the beginning and the end, especially with my history of injury.  So I modified the plan and made it 17 weeks long being sure to add in a recovery week about once a month.  Now the weekly mileage increases will pretty much stick close to the 10% rule.   This should work perfectly.  The Inland Trail half is in 19 weeks.  The plan is 17 weeks.  This way I have an extra week to take off for vacation in October and an extra week because I will miss my long run when I do my century ride.  The other change is that for the next couple weeks until my tri, I am going to replace the short mileage track workouts with short mileage bricks.  After the tri, it is to the track!

Run
  • 35m 28s
  • 3.50 miles
  • 10m 08s /Mi

Went for a run with Sue over at her house. It was very nice to have company and we even got to watch a thunderstorm getting closer and closer. We beat the rain!

Today was one of those days when my workout plans kept changing.  Rained during the night and having extra poultry chores in the morning for the next several weeks, I decided not to get up early.  I thought I might be able to get my run in at lunch, but that didn't work out.  I worked until 6:30pm and still had three goals: RUN!, go grocery shopping and take care of the chickens.  I decided that chickens were my first priority so I did that first.  Took longer than expected as I had a few minor problems to deal with.  By the time I got over to Sue's house to run it was past 8:30pm.  We ran and finished around 9:25pm, I got to the grocery store about 9:40pm, store closed at 10pm so I had to shop quick.

Hectic evening, but I got everything accomplished!

Swim
  • 45m
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 02m 49s /100 yards

5pm lap swim. Pretty nice swim tonight. Purposefully left my watch in my locker and just wanted to swim. Warmed up with 100y bs. Then did 1000 yards free nonstop. Longest distance so far. Yippee!!! Then did a hodgepodge of bs, ss, fs for the final 500 yards.

I felt really good during the longer free set until about 900 yards. That last 100 yards I was getting VERY tired.

Race report is done.  Still smiling.

drdi's Training Log

July 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance
  • March's totals