Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

My first private swim lesson. Oh this should be good. I am pooped! The coach comes from a competitive swim background, but she also used to do triathlons so she understands that part of the equation. Still there are some things she is having me do that are different from what I have read. What she said made sense though. She is having me do some things to get rid of some of my bad habits, but this is not the end point. So we will see where this leads. She didn't time me until the very end when I did my final 25y in 26 seconds. I was tired at that point too. If I could learn to maintain that pace, that would be the coolest! Actually, I will be tickled pink if I can maintain 2:00/100y for a decent distance.

Next lesson in a week and a half!

I just noticed that I passed my highest swim monthly volume ever and I still have a week to go in the month.  Maybe this darn injured achilles happened for a reason.  It is forcing me to learn to be one with the swim.  :)  Ok, at this point the swim karma is not there.  But if these lessons work, MAYBE I'll learn to actually like swimming.  Hmmmm, now that would be different.

Run
  • 30m 22s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 09m 35s /Mi

6am run from home.

Slight whine alert. I did NOT want to run this morning. I can run in the dark. I can run in the cold. I do NOT like to run in the dark and cold. But I couldn't come up with a plan to run either Thurs or Fri. The weather is going to turn rainy and my schedule is tight the next two days. The run had to happen this morning or it wasn't going to happen at all before the 5k on Sunday.

So off I went into the dark. I was in a foul mood. There was enough of a headwind to bring the windchill down into the 'teens. The wind was just biting. My hands were cold. My hood kept blowing off my head. whine whine whine.

Fortunately when I turned and the wind was to my back, everything started feeling much better. The sky was starting to turn rosy dawn. I heard my first woodcock calling this morning. A sure sign of spring! That made me smile. So I feel much better now that I ran, but it was a rocky start.

Swim
  • 30m
  • -----
  • -----

8pm rec swim. I was going to do my 50y sets, but when I got to the Y, I realized I forgot my watch. Even with my contacts, I can't see the clock well enough to take an accurate time. Dang astigmatisms anyway. The end result was that I just did a little of this and a little of that. Nothing structured and didn't count laps at all. Pretty much what I did tonight was exercise, but not training.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 16m

Walking split before and after run.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 12m 30s

Walking split before and after run.

Part one of today's plan is complete.  :)

Part two complete, but only half-heartedly.

Sport #1
  • Stationary Biking
  • 35m

Lunchtime workout at the community center.
Warm up: treadmill walking, 1 mile
Recumbent stationary bike. 1:2 interval program. 3:5 first half then 3:6 the second half. Keep rpm's over 90. This workout makes me SWEAT!
Stretching to cool down.

Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 15m

Recumbent stationary bike. 1:2 interval program. 3:5 first half then 3:6 the second half. Keep rpm's over 90. This workout makes me SWEAT!
Stretching to cool down.

Sport #3
  • Walking
  • 15m

Stretching to cool down.

pm update:  Felt better and better as the day went on.  Still a little sniffly.  I did get a chance to workout at lunch.  That was good!  The rest of the week is going to be all screwed up now that I missed today's swim.  Time to get creative!  I have a plan in my mind for tomorrow.  Might work.  Might not.  :)  Off to bed so I can get up early tomorrow.......................

So now I feel like I am getting round 2 of the cold viruses going on around here.  Decided to skip this morning's swim.  Might workout at lunch if I feel like it (and have time).  Otherwise I'll just take it a day at a time.  I hope this doesn't mess up my swim lesson on Thursday, but whatever.

Run
  • 35m
  • 3.59 miles
  • 09m 45s /Mi

Treadmill run after swimming. 10 mins at 6.0 mph. 25 mins at 6.2 mph.

I hate this everything has been feeling SO good for the past week and a half. I get so excited when I start feeling normal on the run again. But it has happened so often before over the past 6 months. Will this be the time it lasts, or will it all come crashing down again?

Swim
  • 58m
  • 2000.00 yards
  • 02m 54s /100 yards

7am lap swim.
Warm up: 50y breast, 50y free.
Main set: 500y free X 3. 12:47, 12:59, 13:01.
Then 250y free. 6:37. I was going to make this a complete 500y segment too, but I started getting REALLY hungry. When I get hungry in the water, I start getting seasick/nauseous. Not good! Was worried about tossing my cookies in the pool if I kept going (even though the cookie pouch was empty, LOL!). So I just rested a minute or two and swam 150y of breaststroke to finish out 2000y.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 23m

Treadmill walking before and after run. Warm up: 10 mins, 4.0 mph. Cool down: 10 mins, 4.2 mph.

Nice stretching session at the end of everything!

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 20m

Treadmill walking before and after run. Warm up: 10 mins, 4.0 mph. Cool down: 10 mins, 4.2 mph.

Nice stretching session at the end of everything!

Whoo hoo!  I scheduled my first private lesson with the swim coach for this Thursday evening!  I hope she can make me better because I am pitiful!  LOL!

I am going to try something a little different this week.  Going to put my runs on Monday and either Wed or Fri and then Sunday.  This will give me more time to swim on Tues and Thurs.  There is no way I can build my swim endurance swimming less than 2 hours/week which is what I have been doing.  This should bump me up to 2 1/2 to 3 hours of swimming per week.  My lats have been telling me they have been working and they need the work!  I would rather work them swimming vs lifting weights.  Blech.  I hate swimming, but I hate weights even more and that pretty much says it all!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 40m

6.2 miles. Greenway Corridor rail trail in Lake County. Decided to take Molly the dog on a little road trip one county over to walk part of a bike and hike trail that I haven't been on before. Nice little trail. Temps were right around 32F and partly sunny. Pace works out to just over 16 min/miles which is pretty good because it includes a doggy pit stop/clean up the trail on the way out and a human pit stop on the way back. So actually walking pace was probably 15 min/miles or just a little faster.

Run
  • 29m 35s
  • 3.07 miles
  • 09m 38s /Mi

I suck at prediction runs. LOL! Had fun though! See RR for full details.

Swim
  • 58m
  • 2100.00 yards
  • 02m 46s /100 yards

8am lap swim. First half there were only 2 of us in the entire pool swimming. Last half I was mostly swimming in the pool by myself because the other swimmer was talking to the guard. SWEET!
Warm up: 50y breast, 50y free X 3
Then 50y free X 10 w/ 20s rest. 1:03, 1:02, 1:02, 1:02, 1:03, 1:03, 1:04, 1:04, 1:04, 1:05.
Then 100y breaststroke.
Then 500y free (semi easy) 12:36
Then 100y breaststroke.
Then 500y free (easy) 13:02
Cool down: 100y breaststroke.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 17m

Did some good stretches when I got home after the race.

Ended up getting about 5 inches of snow overnight.  Decided to go ahead with my plans.  So out the door at 7:15am to go swim.  Roads were horrible!  I was rewarded with a mostly empty pool though.  :)  :)   By the time I was done swimming, it had stopped snowing so I drove over to the start of the 5k run.  Not many people showed up and the roads were horribly snowy in spots, but it was a fun run.

Ok, today is now an official rest day!

Had somewhat of a scare yesterday.  DH's father had an accident with his truck and got pinned between the truck door and the garage door frame.  Has a broken clavicle and the local hospital was worried about internal bleeding so they flew him to the trauma unit in Columbus.  So DH drove down there last night.  DH called this morning and everything looks fine.  No bleeding.  No surgery will be needed.  Going to send Dad home either today or tomorrow.

The weather forecast is changing minute by minute.  We are suppose to get snow, but depending on the moment, the forecast has changed from 1 inch to 5 inches to who knows what.  Might make for an interesting prediction 5k run tomorrow.  If the weather is too bad, I am not going!  So there!

drdi's Training Log

March 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals