Bike
  • 29m 53s
  • 7.57 miles
  • 15.20 Mi/hr

HA! 6:30pm. Snuck in a ride around the block after the thunderstorm and before the sun went down.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

My second private swim lesson. The new thing we worked on today was how I am pulling under water. I was keeping my arms way out to the side and not pulling underneath my body. I guess I've heard so much bad stuff about people crossing over with their stroke that I was going too far the opposite direction.

So my lats and arms are pooped right now! Good stuff!

Whoo Hoo!  I got a short ride in anyways!  :)  :)

I wanted to ride my bike some today.  Of course it rained all morning.  Then was dry from when I left to do errands and my swim lesson.  Now I am home and a thundershower is almost here.  Someday I'll get back on the bike!

Run
  • 39m 14s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 49s /Mi

9am Western Reserve Greenway Trail. Molly the dog and I headed down to the local rail trail for a workout this morning. Temps in the lower 40s and overcast. Perfect day to take the dog for a run. She did really well for a 10 year old doggie. I never used to be able to wear her out, but it's getting just a bit easier. Right now, she's happily snoozing at my feet.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Walking before and after run.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 25m

Walking before and after run.

My longest run in about 9-10 months!  My right achilles felt normal.  Yay!  I still have some issues with tightness in my left calf, but nothing bad.  My left knee (which I haven't written much about and have had issues dating back 20+ years ..... i.e. old news) well that felt normal too.  Yay!  Boy it felt good to nudge the mileage up every so slightly.  :)

One my goals for 2007 is to bike more miles this year compared to the corresponding month last year.  Well, except January and February that don't count due to weather.  So March 2006 was 36 miles and March 2007 was 39 miles.  Just squeeked by.  I need to do better.  April 2006 was 100 miles.  I wonder if 150 miles is possible.  Some of it depends on how much time I continue to devote to swimming.  I do, after all, only have limited time to train per week.  :)

Swim
  • 35m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • -----

7am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
200y kick.
200y pull.
50y free X 4 w/ 30s rest. :57, choking fit, :55, :56.
100y breast.
50y free X 4 w/ 30s rest. :53, :55, :55, :56.
Cool down: 100y breast.

I wonder if it's possible to learn to like something that you really don't like.  For me, I don't like swimming.  I actually did enjoy the swim during my tri last year.  In fact,  I loved every part of my tri last year.  But the day in, day out training to swim, I don't like it.  I don't like the 25 minute drive to the pool and the 25 minute drive home.  I don't like getting wet with cold water.  In fact it's more like I HATE being cold in the pool which is most of the time.   I don't like having to time when I breathe.  I do like being able to take a breath anytime I dang well please, which is not compatible with my face being under water.   I don't like having to schedule my swim time on the pool's schedule and not my own schedule.  I don't like having to share a lane.  I don't like being slow.

Now the being slow part I am working on.  I am hoping that if I get proficient or even semi-proficient at swimming that I will learn to like to swim.  I am hoping that all those other annoyances will fade off into the background.  And of course there are one or two things I do like about swimming.  I do like how my body feels after a good swim workout.  Ok, there is one thing I like.  I wish there were more.  I guess only time will tell if my theory of more ability=more enjoyment is true or not.

Oh wait, I thought of one more thing I like a little bit.  I kind of like open water swimming.  I was having fun last year doing that.  Unfortunately, the opportunities for OWS around here are limited to around 3 months of the year.  I've done some cold water swimming with a wet suit.  Don't like it.  Again, there is the problem of being wet and cold (which I hate)  and having to schedule swim time when lifeguards are around or at least other people.  It's just not the same as bike/run that I can walk out my door and do whenever I please.

I need to become one with the swim.  Is it possible?

Run
  • 34m 57s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 09m 19s /Mi

Came home from my doctor's appointment and did my run before I had to go back to work. I think I went faster to work out all my frustrations. heehee!

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Warm up: walk 1 mile (15:03)
Cool down: walk 1 mile (15:07)

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 30m 10s

Warm up: walk 1 mile (15:03)
Cool down: walk 1 mile (15:07)

Doctor visit was very frustrating to me.  I THINK it is a matter of not going to the right doctor and not the fact that he told me my goals might not be possible.  All I told him was that I wanted to be a 15-20 mpw runner.  He said we are all individuals and some people can't run that much.  Heck that mileage goal is peanuts compared to most runners.  Sarah Reinertsen can run an Ironman with one leg.  Dick Hoyt can do an Ironman and umpteen marathons while pushing his son.  I don't want to do any of that.  I just want to run 15-20 mpw.   I think the biggest problem is that this orthopod is a surgeon that has a serious case of "a chance to cut, is a chance to cure".  Since I am not a surgical candidate, well then he can't help me. 

On the plus side, I talked to the nurse afterwards.  She gave me the name of another sports medicine doctor that she thought would be more appropriate for me to go to.  Since I am feeling halfway decent right now, she thought I should wait a couple months, but if I was still having problems, then call this other doctor.  Sounds like a plan.

Rest day!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)
Run
  • 30m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 10m /Mi

7am Treadmill run after swimming. Ok, you might ask how can I run on the treadmill when it is 70 degrees outside. Well I wanted to get my run into today and this morning before work was really my only opportunity since Tuesdays are my long surgery day and my late office hours day. There is no good place around the Y to run. So the treadmill was it. Took it short and easy today since my legs are still a tiny bit sore from Sunday. My achilles feels good though.

Swim
  • 31m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 35s /100 yards

Warm up: 100y breast.
500y free: 11:32
100y breast
100y free X 3 w/ 30s rest. 2:12, 2:11, 2:11
Cool down: 100y breast, 100y free.

I cut the swim short today because my upper body was just getting fatigued. Probably from yesterday's drills. Ok, no probably. The cool thing about today. I did my 500y swim (the length of my first tri this year) and took 1 minute off my previous best time. Did the swim at a 2:18/100y pace. This is a BIG achievement for me. A long way to go, but amazing what one lesson and a minor change will do.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 21m

Treadmill walking before and after run: 10 mins each, 4.0 mph.

I love to STRETCH!

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 20m

Treadmill walking before and after run: 10 mins each, 4.0 mph.

I love to STRETCH!

Thursday I have the appointment with the sports orthopod about my achilles issue.  It took me almost 6 weeks to get this appointment.  Of course the last 2-3 weeks I've been feeling really good.  However, it is still sore to the touch, just no pain when I run.  So I am going to go ahead and keep the appointment since this all started last July.  I really need another opinion on this because my PT seems frustrated every time I call and tell him the tendon is still sore.  I am concerned about how/when/why/where to increase my run volume.

Bike
  • 1h 01m 18s
  • 14.43 miles
  • 14.12 Mi/hr

Noon. Well I just had to take advantage of March temps in the 70's and a day off of work. Starting to rebuild my biking base after virtually no riding all winter. I'm slow, but not as slow as when I was just starting out.

The biggest factor in today's ride were the winds which were gusting over 20mph. It was great to be cruising along at 26mph with the wind at my back. It sucked trying to maintain 10-11mph with the wind in my face. Or did it blow? Either way, the headwind was quite noticable today.

Swim
  • 45m
  • 1400.00 yards
  • -----

7am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
200y kick
200y pull
50y free sprints X 4 w/ 30s rest. :55, :57, :57, :58.
100y breast
100y free X 4 w/ 30s rest. 2:15, 2:09, 2:10, 2:08.
Cool down: 100y breast.

I think the sprints and kicking drills are going to kill me. LOL! Ah, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger, eh?

The cool thing is that when I was done with the workout the swim coach wanted me to do, I then swam some 100y sets. Dropped 6 seconds off my previous best for 100y. This was after I almost died doing the sprints. The best part is I felt much less fatigue at the end of the 100y sets. Yay! Faster, less fatigue. I like this!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

Did some nice stretching right before bed. AH, that felt good! Went over my calves and quads with The Stick too. Muscles just a little bit sore from Sunday's effort.

RR is up, but I'll have to go back and fill in some of the blanks such as number of people in the race.  It wasn't a very large race and there were a lot of walkers, so I'm not sure how many were entered in the run.

drdi's Training Log

April 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals