Run
  • 34m 33s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 09m 43s /Mi

6pm Nice run on a sunny evening after work. The only part that sucked was a section after the turn around that was directly into the wind. Otherwise, I felt good.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 23m

Warm up: walk 1 mile. Cool down: walk 1 mile.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 30m

Warm up: walk 1 mile. Cool down: walk 1 mile.

The plan was to run this morning, but for some reason I set my alarm for 4:45pm instead of a.m..  DOH!  Woke up too late to run.  I did manage to get it done after work, but I think I like mornings better.  I am more tired after I get off work.  In the morning, I am ready to go!  :)

Brought Cutie the beagle home today for the first time.  Should be an interesting few days/weeks as the pack order works itself out.  Poor Molly the brittany feels all put out.  Cutie has taken over Molly's blanket in the computer room so I had to get a new one for Molly.  Such is the life of a pack animal.

Swim
  • 45m
  • -----
  • -----

5pm lap swim.
Another swim without counting laps. Did my usual 100y breaststroke warm up. Then did some drills. I forget what it's called, but it's where you swim up on one side and back on the other. Then start stroking every so many kicks. Then just a couple laps with the pull buoy so I could really concentrate on my stroke.
Then 50y free X 6 w/30s rest. :58, :58, :58, :56, :56, :56.
500y free (2:16, 2:19, 2:20, 2:23, 2:19=11:37)
Then some misc. stuff to cool down.

pm update: was able to leave work and make it to the lap swim only 15 minutes late.  That gave me 45 minutes to swim.

Did not run this a.m..  Going to either do an evening workout or take this as a rest day.  I'll decide after work.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

6am lap swim. I totally lost count of laps since I was doing some drills at the beginning. Other than the drills and easy breaststroke in between sets, here is what I remember.

50y free X 6 w/ 50s rest. :58, :58, :57, :58, :58, : 59.
100y free X 4 w/ 50 rest. 2:04, 2:07, 2:04, 2:05.
500y free. 11:33.

My arms were really tired today. That seemed to be the limiting factor today.

I was a little concerned yesterday.  My bad achilles ankle was really stiff in the morning.  This is not really unusual per se, but I would say it was a little worse than normal.   Warmed up nicely and felt fine on my run.  Afterwards, I stretched and iced as usual.  Within a couple hours, my ankle became VERY painful to walk on.  I could stand on it, press on it, move it around with no pain at all.  Actually, I could run on it fine.  Only walking made it hurt.  There was no swelling.  It was not coming from my achilles.  Oh great, another problem!  Yikes!  Iced it again last night and today it feels normal.  I'm going to try and squeeze a run in tomorrow morning so I'll see what happens then.   All this stuff is just too weird.  Could the kicking drills on Sunday be an issue?????  I left the kicking drills out of today's swim workout.

Run
  • 33m 58s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 09m 32s /Mi

7:30am Chose the gravel road route this morning as a continuation of be kind to knees and ankles week. Cold, windy, but it's done.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 25m

Warm up: walk 1 mile, 14:47
Cool down: walk 1 mile, 14:48
Weird how close those two times were. That doesn't happen very often.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 29m 35s

Warm up: walk 1 mile, 14:47
Cool down: walk 1 mile, 14:48
Weird how close those two times were. That doesn't happen very often.

Today's run is in honor of all those braving the conditons in Boston this morning.  Weather here is chilly (34F) and windy (22mph, gusting over 30mph), but at least it's dry.  So no whining from me because it could be much worse.  Uh, like in .........  BOSTON!

Good luck to all who are running in Boston!!!!!

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

Swim lesson. According to the coach, I did one of my 100y sprints in 1:55. Really? That would be a PR!

Next lesson is not for three weeks. Let's see what trouble I can get into in between. LOL!

Bike
  • 47m 17s
  • 11.32 miles
  • 14.36 Mi/hr

3pm Too cold for biking but I went anyway. 39 degrees. There is just someting not right about riding down the road with snow in the roadside ditches. My legs were really stiff the first few miles, but then loosened up. I couldn't feel my feet when I was done in spite of wearing my warm smartwool socks. I should have put on shoe covers, but I don't have any. I typically refuse to bike in temps in the 30's, but I really need to start getting bike time. With the cold weather, the theme of today's ride was be kind to my knees. Tried to keep cadence 90-95+ the whole time. That meant lower gears and slower speed, but my knees were happier that way.

Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 2.20 miles
  • 09m 13s /Mi

Brick run. 2:20 transition. Into the house to switch shoes and get a drink of water. Then off and running. Should have pee'd too. Oops. Ran from home to the RR tracks and then back to the state route then walked home from there.

Typical brick with legs feeling like lead. I had the added pleasure of running on feet that felt frozen. Wait, I couldn't feel my feet. Whatever.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Cool down: walk 1/2 mile

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 07m 21s

Cool down: walk 1/2 mile

It's official.  Tomorrow's race has been postponed until April 29th due to the possibility of snow on the course.  I'll leave the race as scheduled for now, but I have a decision to make since the new race date is during turkey season.  I don't miss turkey hunting days for just any ol' reason.  I can trade the race registration for another upcoming race so I may do that.  I need to think about it a few days.

I took advantage of getting off early from the WITO event.  Came home, ate lunch, short nap then off to do a short bike/run.  Just trying to get in a workout before the weather goes all to hell.

11:30am  Just found out the RD MAY postpone the race on Sunday if the weather is bad.  Mostly because of safety and it is a hilly course.  Final decision to be made tomorrow. 

Rest day.  My brain is telling me "I want to run!"  My body is telling me "no, no, no!"  Better listen to my body.  This will mean two rest days in a row because I am working at the Women in the Outdoors event tomorrow.  That's ok. 

Just to see how often this changes:
4/13 6am forecast for Sunday  Periods of rain and snow. High near 39. North wind between 9 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
4/13 4pm forecast for Saturday night:  Occasional rain and snow, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 32. North wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.   Forecast for Sunday:  Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 42. North wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

drdi's Training Log

April 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals