I'm blowing off swimming today.  Yep that's right!  I don't do this very often, but I'm going to take the liberty of doing it today!  Minor reasons: I'm due for a rest day.  I swam 4 times last week so if I only swim twice this week it will even out my usual 3X's/week.  Aunt Flo just came for her monthly visit.  The major reason though is that we got several inches of snow last night.  It's still snowing and the roads are horrible.  I made the drive to the pool in snowy slippery weather all winter long and you know what?  I am sick of making that drive in bad weather.  Plain and simple.  If the drive were just a few miles, it would be different, but it's 15 miles of slip and slide.  I am not going and you can't make me.  ;)  ;)

Run
  • 33m 12s
  • 3.50 miles
  • 09m 29s /Mi

Lunchtime run. 35 degrees. 22mph wind with gusts over 35mph. Ice pellets coming down. No, sorry, coming sideways. Lovely! Not! Even with the lousy weather, I felt really good on this run. Good thing I ran, because a client brought in a tray of fresh homemade Easter candy. Oh that is yummy stuff!

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 10m

warm up: walk 7 mins
cool down: walk 4 mins
Bad me. Light on the walking and stretching with my run. That's what happens when trying to squeeze a workout into the lunch period. I'll try to do more stretching this evening before bed (if I can remember prior to watching the backs of my eyelids).

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 11m

warm up: walk 7 mins
cool down: walk 4 mins
Bad me. Light on the walking and stretching with my run. That's what happens when trying to squeeze a workout into the lunch period. I'll try to do more stretching this evening before bed (if I can remember prior to watching the backs of my eyelids).

Spring in the northern U.S..  75 degrees yesterday.  Today, 35 degrees and raining ice pellets.

Looks like I might have a new beagle (since we lost our old one this past summer).  Don't know for sure yet, but she's at the clinic right now.  She's been at the local animal shelter since late February.  One of the other vets at the shelter wanted to have her euthanized since she has heartworms and thought she was showing symptoms.  I did a quick check today and thought she looked pretty good.  She's middle aged though (maybe 5-6 years?  who knows for sure?).  I'm going to keep her at the clinic a bit and treat her for heartworms.  If all goes well, then she'll go home with me.  She is definitely a cute sweet beagle.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2200.00 yards
  • 02m 44s /100 yards

6am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
200y kick
200y pull (first 100 normal stroke, second 100 armpit drill)
50y free X 10 w/ 20s rest. 1:02, :58, :58, :58, :59, :59, :59, :59, :59, :59
50y breast
50y free w/ fins X 4 w/ 15s rest. :42, :41, :41, :41
50y breast
50y free w/ fins X 4 w/ 15s rest. :41, :41, :41, 42
100y breast
100y free X 4 w/ 20s rest. 2:10, 2:09, 2:09, 2:09
Cool down: 100y breast

Working on new stuff. My 50y times were slower than last week, but my 100y times were the same? Must not have been working as hard on the 50y sets. LOL!

Run
  • 29m 32s
  • 3.01 miles
  • 09m 49s /Mi

6:30am Gravel road run as the sun was rising. Just another beautiful spring morning and thankful to be able to enjoy it with a run.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Warm up: walk 0.9 miles
Cool down: walk 0.9 miles and stopping to talk to the neighbor on a beautiful sunny morning!

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 28m

Warm up: walk 0.9 miles
Cool down: walk 0.9 miles and stopping to talk to the neighbor on a beautiful sunny morning!

In the past 16 hours, I've done a swim workout, a bike and a run.   That's kind of cool.

I'm just soaking up this weather right now because we might get snow later in the week.  I was just getting used to the warm weather too.  Oh well, spring in northeastern Ohio.

Bike
  • 29m 53s
  • 7.57 miles
  • 15.20 Mi/hr

HA! 6:30pm. Snuck in a ride around the block after the thunderstorm and before the sun went down.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • -----
  • -----

My second private swim lesson. The new thing we worked on today was how I am pulling under water. I was keeping my arms way out to the side and not pulling underneath my body. I guess I've heard so much bad stuff about people crossing over with their stroke that I was going too far the opposite direction.

So my lats and arms are pooped right now! Good stuff!

Whoo Hoo!  I got a short ride in anyways!  :)  :)

I wanted to ride my bike some today.  Of course it rained all morning.  Then was dry from when I left to do errands and my swim lesson.  Now I am home and a thundershower is almost here.  Someday I'll get back on the bike!

Run
  • 39m 14s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 49s /Mi

9am Western Reserve Greenway Trail. Molly the dog and I headed down to the local rail trail for a workout this morning. Temps in the lower 40s and overcast. Perfect day to take the dog for a run. She did really well for a 10 year old doggie. I never used to be able to wear her out, but it's getting just a bit easier. Right now, she's happily snoozing at my feet.

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Walking before and after run.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 25m

Walking before and after run.

My longest run in about 9-10 months!  My right achilles felt normal.  Yay!  I still have some issues with tightness in my left calf, but nothing bad.  My left knee (which I haven't written much about and have had issues dating back 20+ years ..... i.e. old news) well that felt normal too.  Yay!  Boy it felt good to nudge the mileage up every so slightly.  :)

One my goals for 2007 is to bike more miles this year compared to the corresponding month last year.  Well, except January and February that don't count due to weather.  So March 2006 was 36 miles and March 2007 was 39 miles.  Just squeeked by.  I need to do better.  April 2006 was 100 miles.  I wonder if 150 miles is possible.  Some of it depends on how much time I continue to devote to swimming.  I do, after all, only have limited time to train per week.  :)

Swim
  • 35m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • -----

7am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
200y kick.
200y pull.
50y free X 4 w/ 30s rest. :57, choking fit, :55, :56.
100y breast.
50y free X 4 w/ 30s rest. :53, :55, :55, :56.
Cool down: 100y breast.

I wonder if it's possible to learn to like something that you really don't like.  For me, I don't like swimming.  I actually did enjoy the swim during my tri last year.  In fact,  I loved every part of my tri last year.  But the day in, day out training to swim, I don't like it.  I don't like the 25 minute drive to the pool and the 25 minute drive home.  I don't like getting wet with cold water.  In fact it's more like I HATE being cold in the pool which is most of the time.   I don't like having to time when I breathe.  I do like being able to take a breath anytime I dang well please, which is not compatible with my face being under water.   I don't like having to schedule my swim time on the pool's schedule and not my own schedule.  I don't like having to share a lane.  I don't like being slow.

Now the being slow part I am working on.  I am hoping that if I get proficient or even semi-proficient at swimming that I will learn to like to swim.  I am hoping that all those other annoyances will fade off into the background.  And of course there are one or two things I do like about swimming.  I do like how my body feels after a good swim workout.  Ok, there is one thing I like.  I wish there were more.  I guess only time will tell if my theory of more ability=more enjoyment is true or not.

Oh wait, I thought of one more thing I like a little bit.  I kind of like open water swimming.  I was having fun last year doing that.  Unfortunately, the opportunities for OWS around here are limited to around 3 months of the year.  I've done some cold water swimming with a wet suit.  Don't like it.  Again, there is the problem of being wet and cold (which I hate)  and having to schedule swim time when lifeguards are around or at least other people.  It's just not the same as bike/run that I can walk out my door and do whenever I please.

I need to become one with the swim.  Is it possible?

drdi's Training Log

April 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals