Bike
  • 49m 26s
  • 11.26 miles
  • 13.67 Mi/hr

am commute. leisurely ride into work this morning. 5.63 miles, 24:31, 13.78 avg. My back of course is stiff and sore. It did not like the part of the ride going over the railroad tracks. BUT, by the time I got to work, it was really starting to loosen up and feeling better.

pm commute: 5.63 miles, 24:55

Post massage:  Udderly unbelievable the difference.  I can move again!  :)  :)  Not normal, but what a night and day difference.  I love my masseuse!  :)  :)

If anyone wants to send some postive mental talk my way, I did start a thread in the injury section of the forum.  I have always been a positive attitude type person, but I am wearing down.   My mental state is much better now (lunchtime :)  ).  You can ignore all my whining.

My back is a tiny bit better this morning.  I decided to not go for a swim since I didn't get to bed until 11pm last night (no way can I get up at 4:30am with that bed time).  I'm going to try and get on my bike today and see how that feels.  Maybe I'll feel better and more positive after my massage tonight.

• Health data: Sick: 2

pm: Ok, I have a plan!  After a trip to the local feed mill, I am now the proud owner of a shiny new cowbell.  So if my back is not better by the 5k on Monday, then me and my cowbell are going anyway to be a loud and obnoxious cheering section.  :)  :)

MORE COWBELL!

back about the same.  I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow evening.  :)  :)  :)  Going to see how I feel in the morning, but I might try going for a swim tomorrow a.m..  To be determined.

OH, and I am an evil person.  I found out that the guy that I passed on the last mile of the run on Sunday was in my swim wave and he was in his early 20's and I beat him by 14 seconds.  Nothing like beating someone half your age to make you feel like gloating!  Sorry nice guy that I passed, but I do feel good about beating you.  :)  :) 

am: stiff, sore, hard to get vertical.  Once I am up and moving, I am fine.  If I stop and sit even for a minute, I have a hard time standing up.  I guess the key here is to never stop moving.  All day long.  :)  :)

• Health data: Sick: 3
Swim
  • 52m
  • 2000.00 yards
  • 02m 36s /100 yards

6am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breaststroke.
1800y free continuous.
Cool down: 100y breaststroke.

I've been concentrating on the short set workouts getting ready for my tri that I have not done a one mile continuous swim in many many months. That's what I decided I wanted to do today. I'm not sure, but this may be my first 1800y set of nothing but front crawl. I think in the past that I have always done a lap or two of breaststroke in the middle.

Uh oh!  After my swim, I was bending over to tie my shoes and felt a stabbing pain in my lower back.   The pain is all in the back, i.e. nothing going down my legs or anything like that.   I thought for a few minutes I was going to pass out.  Took me about 10 minutes before I could stand up and move.  I've never really had back problems before so this is new to me.  Took some ibuprofen and I'll just see what happens throughout the day.

pm update:  Well this really sucks that this happened on my longer surgery day and then I have office hours until 6pm and then I had to do a c-section on a lab that had a stuck puppy.  And the puppy was dead and stinky.  Yum!  And I didn't leave the clinic until 9pm.  So the word is that I am functional but sore.  I have a call out to massage guy.  Hopefully he can get me in soon.  I'm really gun shy about moving though.  I mean, my gosh, I was innocently sitting on a bench and tying my shoe.  Maybe I need to get Yankz for all my shoes!  :)  I am going to be positive that I will recover quickly, but obviously, I'm not working out until the pain is all gone.  Well except some leisurely walks maybe.  Walking seems to make my back feel better.  My girlfriend that just ran the half marathon has had this happen twice.  The first time she was shoveling snow so that kind of makes sense.  The second time she was brushing her teeth and then sneezed and her back went out.  It sucks getting older sometimes.

• Health data: Sick: 4

Yes, I have become one with the society who wants everything right now.  And I want my results

NOW!

Ok, I'll wait.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

You know when you think about it.  "Now" is kind of a funny looking word. :)

Did my monthly stint at the APL today doing spays and neuters.  I got to hear about Sue's race today.  I am so SO proud of her and what she has accomplished.  It was just so cool to hear about the race and all the excitement.  She had family run in the 10k so they were cheering her on at the finish line.  YAY!!!!! 

Now off to mow some grass.  Going to have to bale it I'm a-feared.  :)  :)

Bike
  • 45m 34s
  • 12.00 miles
  • 15.80 Mi/hr

Official results. I messed up the route map some (the starting point), but the general idea is there.

Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 08m 32s /Mi

Official results. I think I messed up the route map a little, but it is close.

Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 500.00 yards
  • 02m 27s /100 yards

Includes the run to T1.

I am done and I am happy!  My goal time was 1:35:00.  My double secret goal time was 1:30:00.  My finish was 1:25:44.  84th out of 129.  23rd out of 50 females.  5th out of 8 age group.  I have no idea what my splits are until they are posted due to some confusion at the start of the swim.   I got to meet two BTers.  ovspmike who completed his first tri ever (and who is coming back into action after breaking his foot and having it surgically repaired last year, ouch!).  GREAT job Mike!!!!!  And psycofish (Dave) who placed third in his age group.  Awesome!  It was great meeting you guys!

My second triathlon ever is in the books!  :)  :)  :)

Footnotes and other random thoughts:  I have no idea why, but I was EXTREMELY nervous before this race.  I don't remember being this anxious before my first tri last year.  Maybe I was, but today seemed different.  It was torture standing and watching the swim waves before me for almost a full hour before my turn.  There was some confusion at the start of my swim wave which you will read about in my report.  I am so happy it didn't affect the rest of my race.  My swim actually felt good.  I never felt tired.  Wish I would have timed the swim because the split time will include the run to the timing mat.  I was just so startled by the confusion at the start that I forgot to start my watch.  I don't think I was that much faster/slower than normal, but I don't know? 

Oh crap!

That about sums it up.  :)  :)  :)

Bike
  • 28m 33s
  • 7.59 miles
  • 15.95 Mi/hr

6pm Shake down ride to make sure all systems are in order. Of course I use a total of 3 gears on my ride around the short block from home. I'll probably use 12+ gears at the tri on Sunday including two hills that I'll have to slip into to the third chainring to make it up.

Swim
  • 25m
  • 900.00 yards
  • 02m 47s /100 yards

7am lap swim.
Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
500y free. 2:11, 2:16, 2:18, 2:18, 2:16 = 11:19 (11:21 with hundreths added)
Cool down: 50y breast, 50y free X 2

MUCH better swim than Wednesday. Short swim too. Just to keep loose.

My friend Sue (snines) is running her first half mary on Sunday (same day as my tri). 

GO SUE!!!!!!  You are going to ROCK girlfriend!

drdi's Training Log

May 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals