• 02m 52s /100 yards

Warm up: 100y breast, 100y free.
50y free X 4. :59, :58, :56, :59.
100y breast
100y free X 4. 2:10, 2:12, 2:08, 2:12.
100y breast
400y free easy
100y breast

First time swimming since last week's post-swim disaster. I am really starting to feel the lack of pool time. My arms just get so tired and seem to have no stamina. The problem is that early mornings are really the only time I can get to the pool regularly. In the wintertime, it's not a big problem to get to bed by 9pm so I can get up at 4:30am. Now that it stays light outside so late, there are many outside farm chores to do and often we don't even eat dinner until 10pm. Early mornings are tough on that schedule. I may just have to accept my lack of swimming to some extent.

The other weird thing about today's swim was during my final set. I was going to do 500y of easy front crawl to finish, but about 350y into the set, my back started bothering some where I hurt it last week. So I quit the front crawl after 400y and finished with 100y breast stroke. Now why would swimming make my back hurt? I thought swimming was a good exercise for people with back problems. Ugh!

• Health data: Sick: 2
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s /Mi

Nice small local 5k race. I took it (mostly) easy because of my back. I say mostly because I passed a guy from the 60-64 age group with about 1/4 mile to go. The last 50 or so yards I could hear his foot steps behind me so I sprinted the last little bit. LOL! I felt relaxed and able to talk and chat the whole run. Pretty amazing that a 9min/mile race now feels easy. I did this same race last year, but some other guy organized the race and the course was just shy of 3 miles. This year, a guy that knows what he is doing organized the race and changed the course so it truly was a 5k. So my time is a little longer than last year's time, but the course was longer this year too, so my pace turned out better than last year's race.

Sue and I ran together until just about mile 2. Then she went on ahead. I was not going to push my pace today. She ended up 2nd in our age group and I took 3rd. Sue's husband took 3rd in his age group. Yay!

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

p.m. before bedtime. Nice stretch session and using The Stick on my calves and back. Boy did my back feel a ton better afterwards. Good stuff!

Race report will come later.

Bike
  • 1h 17m 36s
  • 18.78 miles
  • 14.52 Mi/hr

Noon. Quit raining long enough for me to sneak in a ride. Breezy, mostly cloudy, muggy summer day. Won't do this route exactly like this again because the section of Hall Rd that is chip sealed is in bad shape. Many other route possibilities though so no biggie.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 25m

Why the heck do the replacement dryer belt stores all close on the weekend?  Don't they know that is when most belts break?  And don't they know I need a dryer belt NOW!?!  And why would places like Home Depot and Sears sell dryers, but not the simple little parts like belts?  I'm am not spending $3:10/gallon to drive to the big city and get a belt.  (I was just kind of excited that I figured out how to open up the dryer to get to the belt.  It was simple too!  :)  )

Finally, the results from last week's tri are in.  My race report is done!  :)

Sport
  • Orienteering
  • 1h 30m

Northeast Ohio Orienteering Club. Score event. South Chagrin Reservation. I really like orienteering alot. Too bad I only go once or twice a year. I thought something a little different was in order to cheer me up. I did a little bit of trail running during my 90 minutes I spent on the course. It was hard running because the humidity was like 200% and I had to wear long pants to protect my legs from all the poison ivy. Mostly I walked though. No problems with my back while running, but it's still hard to go from a sitting to standing position. Still taking it easy.

Oh and control point 23 was evil. Never did find the dang thing and I took way too much time looking for it before going on to the next one. That really hurt my score.

Bike
  • 46m 19s
  • 11.24 miles
  • 14.56 Mi/hr

a.m. commute: 5.62 miles, 25:16. Back a little spasmy, but not bad.

p.m. commute: 5.62 miles, 21:03. Didn't feel my back at all. Could have been the fact I was being chased by a big black storm cloud. Fortunately I beat the rain and didn't hear my first rumble of thunder until I pulled into my driveway.

Bike
  • 49m 26s
  • 11.26 miles
  • 13.67 Mi/hr

am commute. leisurely ride into work this morning. 5.63 miles, 24:31, 13.78 avg. My back of course is stiff and sore. It did not like the part of the ride going over the railroad tracks. BUT, by the time I got to work, it was really starting to loosen up and feeling better.

pm commute: 5.63 miles, 24:55

Post massage:  Udderly unbelievable the difference.  I can move again!  :)  :)  Not normal, but what a night and day difference.  I love my masseuse!  :)  :)

If anyone wants to send some postive mental talk my way, I did start a thread in the injury section of the forum.  I have always been a positive attitude type person, but I am wearing down.   My mental state is much better now (lunchtime :)  ).  You can ignore all my whining.

My back is a tiny bit better this morning.  I decided to not go for a swim since I didn't get to bed until 11pm last night (no way can I get up at 4:30am with that bed time).  I'm going to try and get on my bike today and see how that feels.  Maybe I'll feel better and more positive after my massage tonight.

pm: Ok, I have a plan!  After a trip to the local feed mill, I am now the proud owner of a shiny new cowbell.  So if my back is not better by the 5k on Monday, then me and my cowbell are going anyway to be a loud and obnoxious cheering section.  :)  :)

MORE COWBELL!

back about the same.  I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow evening.  :)  :)  :)  Going to see how I feel in the morning, but I might try going for a swim tomorrow a.m..  To be determined.

OH, and I am an evil person.  I found out that the guy that I passed on the last mile of the run on Sunday was in my swim wave and he was in his early 20's and I beat him by 14 seconds.  Nothing like beating someone half your age to make you feel like gloating!  Sorry nice guy that I passed, but I do feel good about beating you.  :)  :) 

am: stiff, sore, hard to get vertical.  Once I am up and moving, I am fine.  If I stop and sit even for a minute, I have a hard time standing up.  I guess the key here is to never stop moving.  All day long.  :)  :)

• Health data: Sick: 3

drdi's Training Log

May 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • March's totals