Bike
  • 1h 27m 51s
  • 23.52 miles
  • 16.06 Mi/hr

a.m. commute: 17.87 miles, 1:07:31, 15.88 mph average. I can not say enough good things about this morning's ride. It was warm, but not too warm. The skies were clear. I saw red tail hawks, Canada Geese, and wild turkeys. All the cattle in the pastures along the way looked so peaceful and happy. Ok that's kind of weird, but you know what I mean. It was the perfect summer morning for all the critters both wild and domestic. I felt like I was riding my bike through some fictional pastoral scene. I am so blessed to be able to ride to work along these beautiful country roads. (Now stay tuned for the p.m. commute because temps are suppose to get into the 90's again. Hot and steamy!)

p.m. commute: 5.65 miles, 20:20, 16.67mph average. This is a new PR for the commute home. Temps were only in the low 80's when I left the office. That was because a thunderstorm was brewing! I was packing my stuff up at the clinic just as the radio came on with a severe thunderstorm warning for my county. Oh boy! Decided to try and beat the storm home. Actually, I know about 70% of the people that live on the 5.6 mile stretch of road between my office and home so I figured if I got caught in the storm, I could take refuge almost anywhere. I encountered some sprinkles the last 1.5 miles, but made it home in plenty of time. That storm made me pedal faster though. LOL!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summertime.  :)  :)

p.m. update.  The bad part of summertime.  One of our nicest clients with the nicest 2 year old yellow lab came rushing in this afternoon.  To make a long story shorter, the dog's temp was 108+ degrees.  The dog goes to work with the owner every day and just got over excited in the heat of the afternoon.  We got the dog's temp down and started on an I.V. but an hour and a half later it started having seizures (the dog was previously diagnosed with epilespy so I'm sure that didn't help).  We got that under control, but about an hour after that it went into cardiac arrest and died.  So sad.  The poor owner didn't really do that much wrong.   :(  :( 

• Health data: Sick: 2
Bike
  • 1h 15m 06s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 14.89 Mi/hr

a.m. commute. 13.01 miles, 51:31, 15.15 mph average. I've been dang lazy about this lately. First commute in maybe 2-3 weeks I think. Gosh it was a beautiful morning for a bike ride.

p.m. commute: 5.63 miles, 23:35, 14.3 mph average. Dead legs, growling stomach, head wind and near 90 degrees does not make for a productive ride. Just wanted to get home. That's ok though because I got my good ride in this morning while it was still cool.

Picked yellow beans and grape tomatoes tonight.  [sarc]None of the tomatoes accidentally fell in my mouth while picking.  No, that would never happen.[/sarc]

Bike
  • 56m 38s
  • 14.42 miles
  • 15.28 Mi/hr

7:30pm. Ok, how could I NOT got for a bike ride tonight when I was only 11 miles away from reaching 400 miles for the month. I just had to do it. So even though I worked late, I got home, rushed through the poultry chores and headed off on my bike. Finished as the sun was just setting. What a glorious warm, calm evening for a ride. So cool!

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

6am. Walk 4 miles. 15:03, 13:34, 13:21, 13:32. 1st mile warm up. Last 3 miles did 4:4 racewalking/normal walking intervals.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 55m 30s

6am. Walk 4 miles. 15:03, 13:34, 13:21, 13:32. 1st mile warm up. Last 3 miles did 4:4 racewalking/normal walking intervals.

I know I'm behind on my inspires.  Will play catch up later today or tomorrow.  :) 

Well, I am taking a new direction with my physical issues.  My back has been bothering me some lately and of course I still have soreness in both achilles.  So I have entered the realm of chiropractic care.  This stuff is all kind of weird for me since I was schooled in traditional western medicine.  I felt pretty comfortable though because the other vet I work with has some serious neck issues and was referred to this chiro by his neurosurgeon MD.  Well, heck if an MD is referring to this chiro, then I thought it might be worth a try. 

I don't know if this route will help, but the good doctor is already doing way more work/thought processes to find out why all this stuff is happening than my fancy sports medicine orthopod ever did.  Actually when I told my orthopod last year that all I wanted to do was to be able to run 3 days/15-20 mpw, he told me that some people just can't run that much.  He never mentioned anything about correcting biomechanics or even referring me to someone who could help me.  Never even watched me walk or run.  He just told me I couldn't run.  Well after my chiro visit and radiographs yesterday, I find out that I have lordosis developing in my spine.  There is some thickening of the facets on the lower vertebrae where they are impinging on each other from the sway back so this has been going on for years.  I could actually see the bony changes.  Also my right leg is shorter than my left, part functional and part real.

Like I said, time will tell if this chiro can help me, but I have to try something. 

Canning day!  Green and wax beans are today.

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 30m

Actually more like five hours of yard work, but that would make my log look too weird. Besides, first 3 1/2 hours was just sitting on the riding lawn mower. Then about 1 hour of weed wacking and 1/2 hour with the push mower. Tired, sweaty and smelly. Ahhhhhhhhhhh summertime!

Bike
  • 2h 01m 32s
  • 30.19 miles
  • 14.90 Mi/hr

Two part bike ride. Left home around 3pm and rode over to a client's farm where they were putting on a big event for Rhodesian Ridgebacks. All sorts of different events from agility, herding, conformation, weight pulling and racing. It's really just a fun show and not a competition per se. I am the vet on call for the event so I decided to go see what was happening. Spent about an hour and a half there. Pretty cool watching the dogs do their thing. So 16 some miles on the first leg (most of it uphill into the wind) and 13 some miles coming home.

Tour de France bike challenge done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Sport #1
  • Stretching
  • 20m

9pm. 4 mile walk. 15:06, 14:11, 13:44, 13:50. Last three miles I tried racewalking for about 5-6 minutes then finished the mile regular walking. My legs were tired from standing all day so I had an even harder time with the racewalking thing than the other day. At least I got some exercise done. That was doubtful for awhile.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 56m 51s

9pm. 4 mile walk. 15:06, 14:11, 13:44, 13:50. Last three miles I tried racewalking for about 5-6 minutes then finished the mile regular walking. My legs were tired from standing all day so I had an even harder time with the racewalking thing than the other day. At least I got some exercise done. That was doubtful for awhile.

What a weird afternoon at work.  5 emergencies squeezed in at the end of the day.  Dog not eating, dog can't pee, cat can't breath, cat can't close mouth, dog chewed on by another dog.  Every one legitimately needed seen today.  Got out of work 2 hours later than normal.  Then had to go home and get the eggs ready for market and pick a peck of green beans.  I was very surprised at the end that I felt motivated to go for a walk.  But I did.  That is good.  :)

drdi's Training Log

August 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • March's totals