Springfield,VA 
Run
  • 2h 21m 31s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 10m 48s /Mi

And the icing on the cake, a great atta gal phone call from our very own Cavu9. Great to get to talk to you!

Race report is up! I'll get the final time fixed whenever I get it.

First, HOLY CRAP!!!!! Let me just say that Chippy and I had an EXCELLENT day. I am still in complete shock, but can say with confidence, ass was well and duly kicked today.

We're assuming this was all gun time tracked, as neither one of us saw a timing mat at the start. The time is Garmin + 55 secs it was off from the gun time + 1:12 that they said they would have to adjust the times - I'll get the actual number when they get them adjusted/posted on Monday, but this is pretty darn close.

Nothing quite like a 16+ minute improvement over 13.1 miles in six months.

And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sergeant came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy girl."

See ya on the flip side.

Ahh, better living through chemistry - benadryl + heat + nap = no ear wonkiness.

OMG, Comet!!! CNBC is covering the whole "Borat getting turned away from the White House" thing and how Kazahkstan is trying to deal with the fallout from the movie.

Mmmm, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns. :) Debating the swim. One ear is feeling ever so very slightly wonky and I'm thinking adding chlorine to the mix might not be optimal. May pop a benadryl this afterngh noon to ward off any ear issues and take a nap instead.

So, goals for tomorrow...
-- Go out, have fun, don't worry about pace or HR unless I'm approaching a cardiac event, be a sexist pig and enjoy the eye candy.
-- Sub 3 hours = slow, but nothing has gone horribly wrong
-- Sub 2:45 = firing on all cylinders
-- Closer to 2:30 than 2:45 = rockin'
-- Sub 2:30 = the course is short. ;)
-- Oh, and try not to throw up on the infield at Butler Stadium.

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!! Off to get some real breakfast here in a bit (day before ritual), swim if time allows this afternoon, laundry, pasta and then trying really hard to get to bed early. (Which probably won't work, but I'll try.)

Run
  • 36m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 46s /Mi

Strict Z2. Felt fantastic.

So, I've got a class kicking off next week (writing & research methods) and the class site has a note from the prof signed off, "Have a fine Navy day and Semper Fi."  Gotta love it. 

What an absolutely great day to be alive - totally gorgeous out there today. Run felt just terrific. Gotta say, I'm pretty pleased with myself for sticking with the Z2 runs this summer/fall. They may be slow as all get out, but there is so much to be said for not wanting to throw myself under a moving car at the end of it.

Oh, and I see all y'alls sub 10 minute run paces this morning. Nice try but I will NOT succumb to your peer pressure and my slow butt will remain slow on my run. ;)

They posted the course map for Saturday - looks like the same route as the 15K loop with a 3 mile loop tacked on at the beginning. Water stops every 2 miles. I'll be sticking with my same strategy from Shamrock - it's not 13.1 miles, it's just 6 water stops and a run to the finish. ;) Looks like we're gonna have a gorgeous day for it. Really hoping I can beat my time from March. I know it's a different course, different conditions, but, still...

Convo w/my guy last night:
"So, are you nervous about Saturday?"
"No, I'm actually pretty stoked!"
"Cool. Well, I'll be nervous for you."

Good to have someone else to take care of that. :) Short run later today to remind my legs what we'll be doing on Saturday.

And the best thing youve ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously
Its only life after all
- Indigo Girls, Closer to Fine.

The other fun part of cooking is getting to feed people.  My guy has been working some crazy hours and has had a ton going on lately - and like anyone, he's eating like crap as a result.  Nice to be able to say, "Sit down, here is the wine.  Here is your dinner.  Eat!"

Happy hump day. :) Gonna make today a rest day, short run tomorrow, swim or possibly rest on Friday and then the Quantico Half on Saturday! Even though it's technically a "training run", I know there is no way on earth I'm going to be able to be out there and treat it as one, so I'm not gonna kill my legs leading up to it.

18 miler will be midweek next week and the 20 midweek after that, and then it's all about the taper, baby.

Swim
  • 21m 13s
  • 650.00 meters
  • 03m 16s /100 meters

Gotta say, having the time & energy to really cook again absolutely ROCKS. I really, really enjoy it - it's quite the scene in my kitchen - glass of red in left hand, spatula in right hand, music cranked, dancing and singing and trying to keep things off the ceiling and not set fire to anything.

The satay I made Sunday night and grilled up yesterday kicked ass, and tonight was tonkatsu with garlic-pepper green beans and a very nice Grenache to go with it. (I'm on an asian food kick this week.) Also, a new local wine shop has a customer for life - the owner helped me find some wine a week or so ago, it was *perfect* and I called today to see if they had gotten more in, and as soon as I gave the name of it, I got, "Ahhh, signora!! I remember!" :)

And my chef should be coming over to hang out in a little bit - it's so much fun to have someone around that "gets it" when it comes to me & food & wine.  He's also gotten some intel on a very good German restaurant that we'll be hitting soon - we'd been lamenting the lack of good German restaurants just last week. 

Perked up after some coffee, got a nice, very relaxing swim in. Life is good.

Very, very tired today.

Run
  • 1h 39m 14s
  • 7.80 miles
  • 12m 43s /Mi

Had the time to do 18, however about 2.5 miles into it I came within about 6 inches of being smushed by a car and just couldn't get my head back into it after that. Still have some play in the overall schedule, so the 18 will happen by MCM, just not today.

Due to some not quite thinking it through when I planned things out for the week, long run may have to be moved to tomorrow. I'll get something in today, though, just not quite sure what just yet.

QOTD: "You are a badass cook."
Sorry, Comet!

The shrimp is *very* close to what I was shooting for - already know what variations I need to make for the next go round on it.  The "just in case the shrimp is a disaster" satay that is marinating in the fridge will get to wait until tomorrow. :-D 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Little more taming of the yard on tap today, and an attempt to recreate a kickass shrimp dish I had overseas, and the only restaurant here that had anything close to it has closed, so it's experimentation time...

Oh, and for the guys scratching their heads about the jeans - going from a 4 to a 2 because my body comp has improved without losing weight is freaking AWESOME.

BodyCheck's Training Log

September 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time