Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 16.38 miles
  • 14.04 Mi/hr

I am SO proud of my ride today! I am generally a fair weather cyclist. Riding in the rain scares me, but of course I have to deal with the fact that I live in the rain capital of the world. So this morning Roy dropped Dulcy (the bike) and I off at work. He has a lock-in until midnight tonight with his students, and the easiest way was for me to cycle home. After all, the snow wasn't supposed to start until TOMORROW. By noon is was snowing up a STORM. (Heh. Yeah.) So I called him, "Uh. It's snowing. I've never ridden in the snow. I might need a way to get home."

He called a friend who is also a district employee and mom of one of his kids and another teacher and arranged for them to spell him if he needed to get me. Problem was, I'd have to stay an extra two hours at work..on a Friday...after already going to work 40 minutes early.

So I just decided that as long as it wasn't actively snowing heavily (which would translate to crazy snowblind PNW drivers), and there was no snow on the road I'd try. I would head to the trail. If it was too slick I'd just pull off into a coffee shop and wait it out until he could get me, but at least I'd try.

Well I made it all the way home! It wasn't snowing as I started to get ready, so I figured "I'm going for it." I emailed him to let him know, got my gear on, thanked God that I had both hand AND foot warmers in my pack (always ready!), suited up, headed out and...wha!?? It's SNOWING again! Oh well! I've come this far.

No real problems, except the neanderthal who felt the need to lay on his horn at me and yell for having the AUDACITY to be cycling on, what was apparently, his street. I didn't see his name on it, but maybe he lifted his leg on it or something yesterday and I wasn't aware. Asswipe. (I'm such a lady.) Dude you are passing me, the traffic is light, you have to actually only SEE me and maybe move to the far left of your lane for all of ten seconds. I think you need take a CHILL PILL! Of course it scared White Knuckle Tory about to death! So I willed myself to settle down because if I was tense, I was more likely to biff.

Didn't biff. LOVED the trail all covered in snow on the sides (most of the trail itself was just wet). It was really foggy so I had to take of my glasses. Unfortunately I stupidly left my light on my hat last time I ran in the dark (not always prepared!) so I only had my front light. Saw a beautiful hawk in the tree and stopped to ogle him. Trail was TOO SHORT, though, and soon I was back in the city. North Everett, no snow! Yay! A bit of rain, but not bad. Got to Legion Park and called Roy to let him know I was fine and near the highway (which scares me and makes him nervous) and I'd message him when I got home safely.

As soon as I started up again it started snowing and then it started HAILING! Big hail hitting me in the face! Glasses back on! You could put an eye out with that, Kid! I biked down to where it's easy access to get on the highway without having to lift the bike over the guard rail, hopped on and white knuckled it JUST a bit across. There are four bridges and the bridges have wooden slats on the walkway which are slick on a DRY day. Plus you can see the water and I always get this mental image of my bike slipping, sticking in the crack, and me pitching over the side into the Snohomish River only to be found by an innocent little boy ditching school for a day of fishing and peanut butter sandwiches. I really do NOT want to do that to a small child. (Or maybe I should stop reading so much Stephen King.) Last time I biked over the bridge I actually just skooched every time I was on the bridge (it's away from traffic so it wasn't bothering anyone) but this time I actually stayed on my seat, no skootching, and rode slowly. Hit all the bridges and my knuckles weren't nearly as white by the last one. I love the inbetweener part, though. It's a WIDE shoulder (like the width of a car lane) and it's flat and you can get going REALLY fast, which helps make up for taking the bridges at 3 mph.

As I was coming into Marysville the hail turned into heavy freezing rain. Made it in, even had my KEY, and was amazed that I was actually not at ALL wet from the knees up. I had bought some rain gear on closeout last year and wow, it REALLY works. My shirt was completely dry, and the pants I had on under my rain pants and my bike shorts, dry, even my hair was dry. (I, um, wear a Spiderman cover over my helmet 'cause it gives me Spidey Powers.)

Things I learned:

• Need to have that light with me at all times.
  • Weather is a reason to be careful not completely cancel a ride.
  • Need some clear glasses so I can see in foggy and dark weather.
  • Need to pack one of my reflective vests in my gear because my rain gear is black.
  • I am not as big a wimp as I thought I was.

Actually it made me realize that if I can face this fear (the biking thing) and overcome it to the point of respect. I do RESPECT that cycling can be a dangerous activity and that I must be on my watch at all times and keep my machine in good condition. Then maybe I can learn to respect swimming in triathlons and NOT have a panic attack during or before each swim. That's a VERY exciting thought to me!

Now I am going to have coffee and watch the snow fall because you know how lovely a nice April snow can be! (WTF?!)

Run
  • 1h 25m 49s
  • 8.41 miles
  • 10m 12s /Mi

Started out a little sore, but once my legs warmed up it was fine. Unfortunately I was cold again. It's that time of year when it's hard to judge just how much or little to wear on a run. I'd say it was at least 70 when I left work, so I dropped a layer. Then when I was running it dropped into the low 50s. BRRR!

Stopped at Sbux to use the bathroom at mile six and decided to stay for a tall coffee and a mini scone (I live their petite scones). Warmed up for ten minutes, and then finished the run feeling MUCH better.

I am increasing mileage in my mid-weeks (I'm doing an advanced intermediate training program) and I think I am not quite fueling enough prior to the run. I think from now on I need to do coffee before the run, and something substantial (200 cals or so) before the run. I did remember Shot Blox, though. That was good.

Swim
  • 58m 38s
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 02m 21s /100 yards

Worked with fins and paddles today. Did the catch up drill the entire time (except when I was doing backstroke). Still feeling REALLY awkward, but I know it is for the best!

Duration 45-60 mins
Distance 2200yd
Pool length 25yd

Issued Mar 19 2008

Warm up

• 2 x 200yd Any Stroke (even pace), rest 0:20 / 200yd
Swim your choice of stroke at a steady pace.

Build up

• 4 x 100yd Freestyle Swim (kick every 4th 25yd), rest 0:20 / 100yd
Freestyle swim for 75yd then kick with arms in a streamlined position for 25yd.

Core (repeat 2 times)

• 1 x 200yd Backstroke Swim with fins, rest 0:60 / 200yd
• 4 x 50yd Freestyle Bilateral Breathing, rest 0:15 / 50yd
Freestyle swim with breathing on alternate sides, typically every 3 strokes.
• 4 x 50yd Freestyle Swim with paddles (25yd Easy, 25yd Effort), rest 0:30 / 50yd
Swim at a slow, relaxed pace for 25yd, followed by a fast pace for 25yd. Recover during the easy part of the swim.

Warm down

• 5 x 100yd Freestyle Easy Freestyle swim at a slow, relaxed pace.

Bike
  • 1h 07m
  • 15.70 miles
  • 14.06 Mi/hr

Biked around town. Now why in the WORLD do people feel the need to yell at cyclists? I am minding my own damned business. I don't need some junior high school freak screaming "Hey lady!" then laughing with his buddies. And the girl who SCREAMED behind me out the passenger side window then yelled "GO GO GO BIKER CHICK!" Well I wanted to clock her ignorant little ass. Scared the CRAP out of me. I was on a flat doing 20 and the last thing I need is some mental midget trying to scare me. Of course an ADULT was driving. My kid harassed an innocent bystander and she'd be canceled! Seriously! Parents, think about what your kids are doing. There is no reason for them EVER to catcall, scream at, or mock a runner or cyclist...ever. And if you allow it, shame on you. Let's just hope they're never out riding and have someone come up behind them and try to scare them, causing them to fall and get hurt.

Reminds me of being a kid on the playground. I'd be minding my own business and Marysville's Finest "Mean Girls" would come up and harass me. I didn't have three eyes. I wasn't picking my nose. I wasn't doing ANYTHING to anyone, and yet these nimrods would come up to me and start threatening me, or tease me because I had curly hair. (How DARE I! Yes, I spent my 5th-8th grade years being mocked because I had the curly hair gene.) I didn't get it then, I don't get it now.

Possible rest day, although I do need to bike tonight. I'm playing that one by ear.

Run
  • 2h 47m 13s
  • 15.08 miles
  • 11m 05s /Mi

Ran home from work today. I just don't feel the running love when I run home from work. Well actually mile 7 on was just fine. It was very cold and rainy and I'd worn a running shirt and tank top, but it just wasn't enough. I was running through Everett, zipped down a street to avoid a light, and saw Goodwill! AH HA! Ran in there and went through their pathetic selection of "active wear" and found the ONE running top in my size that was actually new. $5 later, I was running down the street MUCH warmer!

Got honked at by a few a-holes. Why does it bother people in cars that I'm running down the street? I'm not running IN the street, and if GOD FORBID you actually have to slow down so I can cross the street, grow the HELL up! Don't speed up and lay on the horn. What are you trying to prove? Do you think I honestly am scared you'll run me down? Did that make you feel like a "big man?" Jerks.

OMG, I just saw the Jillian (from the Biggest Loser) is 5'2" and 120 lbs. THANK GOD! Someone who is my size (1" shorter) and weighs about what I do! Sometimes I feel like I "should" weigh less and I get bummed when I gain. Right now I'm "up" and in my head I know it's muscle since all my clothes still fit. In my heart I think "I'm getting FAT again!" and I'm frustrated about it. Roy had to hide the scale (I asked him to) because I just couldn't take that I'd "gained" 5 lbs in the last month. That would mean I'd have to overeat 680 calories PER DAY for 30 days, and my "net" calorie intake is closer to 1200 calories a day. So this week my goal is to actually eat closer to 1400 calories per day (net) because despite 'gaining' I am not eating enough to maintain my workout level.

Sometimes I wish I just wasn't so obsessive.

Run
  • 1h 00m 52s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 09m 44s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 07m
  • 2600.00 yards
  • 02m 35s /100 yards

OMG swimming SUCKED today! I did catch up drills the entire time, for the most part. Sometimes I'd forget to, and then I'd remember and grumble and get back to it.

Ironically I didn't go slower, although it sure felt like it. I guess that's the point, though, isn't it? If you stroke RIGHT you GO FASTER!

Kara is making me do this in hopes I can get faster. I sure hope it works. I have spent hours literally reading up, watching Youtube videos, and practicing on dry land my stroking. There were a few times today I actually felt like I was moving through the water faster. Was I? I don't know. I guess we just keep trying.

Run
  • -----
  • 5.04 miles
  • -----
Strength
  • 40m

Bike
  • 3h 31m 03s
  • 45.65 miles
  • 12.98 Mi/hr
Run
  • 21m 34s