Bike
  • 3h 37m
  • 45.50 miles
  • 12.58 Mi/hr

What fun!

Today was Bike to Work day, so I decided to, you guessed it, bike to work. I've never biked to work in the morning so I was a little nervous about being late. But not so nervous that I left before the park had their freebies (open at 6). Roy and I biked over to Comford Park and picked up a free scone, water bottle, and some other schwag. I made it just maybe 4 minutes late. I did the short hilly route, which is 13 miles. Usually I do the 16 mile long flatter route when I ride home.

During the day Roy and I both emailed each other, at the same time, asking if we wanted to meet for dinner. He'd bike out to me. So we agreed (after jinxing) that we'd bike out to Alderwood Mall and meet. I'm thinking that would be about a 20 mile, total, round trip. Why? Because I am stupid.

I beat him out there by a few minutes (he stopped home to feed the dogs), and we sat in the GLORIOUS sun for a little while drinking iced coffee, then went over and had dinner at Panera. After farting about a bit, we headed home. It was a great ride, although my knees both started to bother me on the way home. At least it was both knees and not just one.

As soon as I got in I iced them both really well, hoping that it wouldn't be an issue. I have a marathon in a week. My plan to ride home from Greenlake tomorrow was canceled after I saw the total on my Garmin. Funny thing is, Roy didn't know the mileage and didn't complain at all. When we did almost the same mileage a few weeks back he acted like he was being led to slaughter.

Run
  • 51m 27s
  • 5.05 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

Hot hot hot!!!

Beautiful SUNNY HOT run from work to the mall to meet Roy. So since we agreed to meet at the mall, why was he waiting for me in Best Buy? Inquiring minds want to know!

Good run, though, even with the long run yesterday. Loved the weather...every second of it. Listened to my new dorky favorite "We Love to Mambo" album. Great running music.

Met at the mall then went to Cheesecake Factory then to the Kids in the Hall Concert...OMG they are SO freaking funny and so freaking OLD! Okay, not really old, but you know how time flies when you're watching syndicated shows with Canadian comedy troupes? Yeah, well when the hell did almost 20 years fly by? They still have it, though.

I love telling people at work what I do on the weekends and evenings. I swear they all curl up in a filing cabinet with only this week's "Dancing with the Stars" and that's it.

"Kids in the Hall...they're a comedy troupe."

"No...hmm."

"Okay, um. Did you ever watch Newsradio? Dave Foley was on Newsradio."

"Newsradio? I listen to..."

"No, no. It was a TV show. Quite popular."

"Hmmm...no."

"Okay, how about, oh I know. Did you see "A Bug's Life?"

"That movie about bugs?"

"No, the one about Moose...yes, the movie about bugs."

"Yeah, I think I took my niece."

"Okay, remember Flik?"

"Flik? Who was Flik?"

"The Ant"

"hhhm...no, I don't remember an ant."

"Okay, he was only the pivotal lead character, but well um...nevermind. Anyhow, they are this really funny comedy troupe and well...we're going to see them."

"Oh. Well have fun."

"You can go back to sleep now."

"Thanks."

So we had an awesome time. They were hilarious as I remember them, and now I must go to bed.

Run
  • 3h 04m 01s
  • 16.11 miles
  • 11m 25s /Mi

Dang! My pace FELT faster. But I did stop to walk for awhile when Roy and I missed each other. I love my husband, but sometimes... He was supposed to meet me on his bike. So I gave him my route and told him exactly what street I'd be on. So what does he do? He takes ANOTHER street then can't figure out how he missed me. So I call him because I'm wondering if we missed each other and I'm going to head into a restroom at a park. So he tells me he's way past me, I tell him "I took Colby, I'm now at Legion Park. It won't take long for you to get here."

I run back towards the direction I THINK he's coming, call him. No answer. Call him again, no answer. I start walking back towards the park. He calls. "Where are you?" "I'm on Walnut..." "What are you doing on Walnut that's the other side of town?"

That man!

We did finally meet up for the last five miles, but he had to have gone about 8 miles out of his way. Dork!

Probably the strongest long run I've had in a long time. Finished at home at mile 15, but decided to add an extra mile. I've decided I think I want to keep running at least one 15 miler per week, even when I'm not training for a marathon.

Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 8.41 miles
  • 09m 31s /Mi

Swim
  • 1h 05m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 02m 43s /100 yards

Good swim today! Feeling better and able to breathe better for most of it. My head has cleared dramatically since yesterday.

Lots of kick drills, so slower average time.

Warm up

• 4 x 100yd Backstroke Swim (Kick every 4th 25yd), rest 0:20 / 100yd
Backstroke swim for 75yd then Back Kick with arms loosely by your side for 25yd.
Build up (repeat 6 times)

• 1 x 50yd Freestyle Kick with fins (25yd Easy, 25yd Effort), rest 0:15 / 50yd
Freestyle kicking with fins, alternating every 25yd between easy and fast kicks. Use the easy kicks for recovery.
• 1 x 50yd Freestyle Breathe and Kick with fins, rest 0:15 / 50yd
Freestyle drill to isolate the breathing action and practice control of the body and head position. One arm holding the back of the kickboard, the other arm loosely at your side. Keep your ear on your shoulder while kicking. Roll your body to breathe on the side not holding the kickboard.
Core

• 6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:26 / 50yd
Freestyle swim, starting every 50yd set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have.
• 6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:20 / 50yd
Freestyle swim, starting every 50yd set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have.
• 6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:26 / 50yd
• 6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, leave on 01:16 / 50yd
Warm down

• 4 x 25yd Backstroke Easy, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Backstroke swim at a slow, relaxed pace. Concentrate on long slow strokes.
• 4 x 25yd Freestyle Push & Glide, rest 0:10 / 25yd
Freestyle swim, pausing at the end of every stroke with arms out-stretched, one held out front, the other held loosely against the body.

Still hacking some, but much better than yesterday. Had to stop mid-swim and hack up a few lung lobes. Hope the other swimmers didn't mind. I fished most of it out of the water. Okay, that even grosses ME out and I teach high school boys, so it takes a LOT to gross me out. The important thing is, I got the new Barenaked Ladies CD, "Snacktime" which is all children's music and will be played all day to torture the children.

I managed to pull a muscle at my incision site today coughing. By the time school was out I was in so much pain that I not only SKIPPED my run, but I intentionally went to Urgent Care and said "Okay" when she said the wait would be three hours. (It was only one.) OMG I was almost in tears, okay was in tears, a few times today when I coughed or sneezed without sitting down first.

So now I have an inhaler, cough pills (?), vicodin, and antibiotics. Lord I hope it can stop my coughing long enough for that to heal. I don't have time to be in pain! I coach tomorrow!

• Health data: Sick: 4

Explain to me how I've burned...let me check...9200+ calories this week in exercise and GAINED almost 2 pounds? My body reacts so strangely to high intensity workouts. Or maybe it doesn't.

I am officially SICK! Bad cough (at least it's productive...which is gross, but good), completely stuffed head, throat sore. WTH? I thought I was getting BETTER! I guess not. Maybe yesterday's brick was too much too soon.

Someone just asked me (via email) about taking a rest day every week. Um. Do as I say, not as I do. Today will be a rest day, though. Actually Thursday was too. The day after 22 miles there's no way I'm doing much. (Although if I'd had a way to bike home I would have.)

Friday is bike to work day and I'm going for it!

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 5
Bike
  • 4h 06m
  • 56.07 miles
  • 13.68 Mi/hr

Today was training with Team FAST (my tri training team) but I have bronchitis. So I asked my coach, Cheryl, about the route and explained I'm on day three of bronchitis so a hilly route might be too challenging for me. If I can keep my HR relatively low (140 or lower) I am fine, but if I start having to breathe heavily I cough so I wanted to go flat. She suggested it might make more sense to just do the trail as the course was challenging.

So I asked Lisa (my friend) if she wanted to ride any of it with me. It's always nice to have company, even though we don't talk too much on rides. She said she'd love to, so we planned to meet late enough that we could get some sleepin' in going on. No sense starting at 7:30 if we didn't have to! We met at Logboom Park in Kenmore and headed out toward Woodinville. It's actually a really beautiful trail, but I've biked and run it so many times that it's not very interesting. We biked out and back for 26 miles, and then Lisa peeled off so she could go throw a birthday bash for her son. (She really does birthdays great for her kids.)

I continued on trying not to look at my car beckoning to me from the parking lot. My goal was 56 miles, which is how long I'll have to ride in the half ironman. I'm telling you, my legs did NOT want to keep going after about mile 30. My knees were kind of cranky, probably due to the 22 mile run earlier in the week. I did fuel well; fig newtons, peanut butter filled pretzels, pumpkin flax bars (a recipe I made up), and a gu. I turned around a bit early and decided that if I still felt good, I'd just go past the car and do the whole 56. I knew, in my head, I wasn't fooling anyone. I never cut a workout short.

Hit the parking lot and kept going to finish up the full 56 miles. It took me a bit to rack the bike and change into my running gear, but I managed in about five minutes. Our car rack is tall so it's always hard for me to get my bike up there! Hit the trail and ran 3 miles.

It's interesting...I like to bike. I really do. But I love to run. I swear, I ran the trail I'd just come off, and I noticed 30 more things on my run than I had on my bike. I think that's a lot of what I enjoy about the run. I love seeing the flowers, the birds, the leaves on the trees, all the details that I miss on the bike.

Run
  • 29m
  • 3.03 miles
  • 09m 34s /Mi

• Health data: Sick: 4

teechur's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24