• 1h 35m 40s
  • 9.07 miles
  • 10m 33s /Mi

I ran and biked a total of 114.5 miles last week. Wow. When I think back to where I was seven years ago... Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be able to do things like that.

Today was a typical example. Car is in the shop, we wanted to go see a movie, and Roy needed to go back to his classroom to unlock the piano because it's Baccalaureate today. So rather than sit home and watch gardening shows and DVDs, we hit the road at 9 a.m. Ran to the movie theater and watched Sex and the City (loved it). Then we ran on to his classroom. (Well I ran, he biked. He's still not able to run due to his knee.) He unlocked the piano and we ran out to lunch. Stopped by the pizza place and split a personal pizza (BBQ chicken) and had salad bars. After a nice lunch we ran home.

Tomorrow must get to work, so I'll be biking it again. I sure hope it isn't cold, but it will be so I just have to accept that and deal. I don't want to put anyone out driving me in, and I don't know the phone numbers of any colleagues coming from Marysville. I just hope I don't get a flat. I put a tire on that has that slime in it, so I hope that means I won't have problems. I also patched the other tire, since I was able to find the hole, and hope that will hold if I DO get a flat. Heck, if I get a flat I can call work and someone can come get me with the van. I work in a great place that way.

I just feel so blessed to be able to do all of this. It's interesting because someone said to me the other day that I am "lucky" to be able to. On the one hand, yes. I am fortunate that I have a healthy body, the leisure time, and the support to keep fit. But health is NOT about luck. The more I learn about health and aging, the more I understand that most age related health problems are really NOT age related. They are lifestyle related. But I think people want to believe that a person who runs by them, looking thin and fit, is "lucky" because then that lets them off the hook. Blessed? Yes. Lucky? No. I work hard to stay in good condition and while I enjoy it, it is very calculated. I plan to live a long time, and I want to be healthy doing just that. So I choose to control everything I can control related to my health.

But I do honestly feel blessed. While I was frustrated to hear my car wouldn't be out of the shop until Monday, I knew it wouldn't necessarily mean the weekend was shot. We managed to go out to breakfast yesterday morning, run to the store (to get a new tire for my bike), and spend the day gardening. Today we managed to run an errand, see a movie, and go out to lunch. (Ha! Have to say, "This pizza lunch made possible by 9 miles of running.) I love that I was able to say "Sure" to all of that because nine miles isn't that big of a deal.

I have a triathlon on Saturday of next week, and I'm very nervous about it. But I realize that really, it's just a "busy day" for me. I can swim a mile, bike 24, and run 6.3 with no why am I so nervous?

Sunday we want to run the Furry 5k. We'll run without Maddie this year, which is very sad. But the boy s will have a blast and we'll run in her honor. Maybe I'll bring some cash with me to make a donation to the animal shelter in her name. I miss my Maddie. The house still feels so empty without her.  

  • 1h 23m 37s
  • 8.10 miles
  • 10m 19s /Mi

Nice warm and sunny run to Walmart to see if I could find a new tire for my bike. Of course not! Walmart customers do not RIDE road bikes, apparently. Saw a very scary woman who was probably in her mid to late 50s wearing a skirt so short her ass cheeks hung out the back. No amount of brain bleach in the WORLD will erase that image. Do Not Want!

Since we were out there I decided to run around the fountains at the casino 'cause they are fountainy and beautiful and oddly there is 80s music coming out of the rocks.

Ran back to Starbucks where I enjoyed a thumbprint scone (apricot raspberry) and a grande coffee, and watched a former student who had NO idea who I was, bounce his child on his knee. Um, since when do they think they are old enough to have children? This is just plain wrong!

I wanted to say hi to him because he was one of my favorites, but he was with his family and I didn't want to intrude and go through the whole, "No really, it IS me! I lost weight." thing. Now that I'm home, I wish I had.

Run felt great, but now I have to either ride into Everett or run to a local bike shop (although I don't know that we have one in M'ville) to get a new tire. I have one, but don't want to ride very far without another.

Off to change my tire!

  • 1h 23m 44s
  • 7.50 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi

Crazy run with some walking. I started out running from work. Roy was picking up the car after work and meeting me at the mall, if it was done. He called when I was about half mile down the road to tell me the car wouldn't be done until MONDAY!

So okay, talking to him, walked BACK to work because I'd left a bunch of stuff out (including all my GRADING which I needed this weekend) for us to pick up on the way home. It also included a dozen eggs, so I had to put those in the fridge.

Started running back again, realized about 3 miles down the road I was out of water. Zipped into Jack in the Box to get water. Ran past the Mall and out onto the Inter-Urban Trail, since I knew Roy would be awhile (he was taking the bus out to meet me). Got to pet a new puppy! He was just cute as a darn button! Chatted up a few people on the trail (it's undergoing renovations and we thought they were nearly done, but I guess not).

Ran back to TJ Maxx and did some retail therapy (2 pairs of long shorts and some leather flip flops). Finally Roy showed up and we walked over to dinner at Olive Garden. Had a lovely dinner together (it is date night, after all), then took a bus home.

The bus is icky. The people on the bus, mostly icky. Icky icky icky.

So I guess I bike to work again on Monday. I'll need to bike out somewhere and get an inner tube, though. I only have one left and I don't want to be at the mercy of just one.

Bike #1
  • 1h 24m 18s
  • 16.92 miles
  • 12.04 Mi/hr

Lap 1: 05m 29s, 1.00 miles, 10.94 Mi/hr
Lap 2: 04m 30s, 1.00 miles, 13.33 Mi/hr
Lap 3: 04m 42s, 1.00 miles, 12.77 Mi/hr
Lap 4: 05m 15s, 1.00 miles, 11.43 Mi/hr
Lap 5: 04m 16s, 1.00 miles, 14.06 Mi/hr
Lap 6: 05m 00s, 1.00 miles, 12.00 Mi/hr
Lap 7: 04m 35s, 1.00 miles, 13.09 Mi/hr
Lap 8: 05m 47s, 1.00 miles, 10.37 Mi/hr
Lap 9: 05m 22s, 1.00 miles, 11.18 Mi/hr
Lap 10: 05m 48s, 1.00 miles, 10.34 Mi/hr
Lap 11: 05m 30s, 1.00 miles, 10.91 Mi/hr
Lap 12: 06m 09s, 1.00 miles, 9.76 Mi/hr
Lap 13: 04m 46s, 1.00 miles, 12.59 Mi/hr
Lap 14: 05m 07s, 1.00 miles, 11.73 Mi/hr
Lap 15: 04m 06s, 1.00 miles, 14.63 Mi/hr
Lap 16: 04m 24s, 1.00 miles, 13.64 Mi/hr
Lap 17: 03m 32s, 0.92 miles, 15.61 Mi/hr

Bike #2
  • 1h 18m 02s
  • 17.90 miles
  • 13.76 Mi/hr

Lap 1: 04m 56s, 1.00 miles, 12.16 Mi/hr
Lap 2: 04m 30s, 1.00 miles, 13.33 Mi/hr
Lap 3: 04m 38s, 1.00 miles, 12.95 Mi/hr
Lap 4: 04m 10s, 1.00 miles, 14.40 Mi/hr
Lap 5: 04m 26s, 1.00 miles, 13.53 Mi/hr
Lap 6: 04m 54s, 1.00 miles, 12.24 Mi/hr
Lap 7: 04m 16s, 1.00 miles, 14.06 Mi/hr
Lap 8: 03m 48s, 1.00 miles, 15.79 Mi/hr
Lap 9: 04m 31s, 1.00 miles, 13.28 Mi/hr
Lap 10: 03m 55s, 1.00 miles, 15.32 Mi/hr
Lap 11: 05m 00s, 1.00 miles, 12.00 Mi/hr
Lap 12: 04m 08s, 1.00 miles, 14.52 Mi/hr
Lap 13: 04m 30s, 1.00 miles, 13.33 Mi/hr
Lap 14: 04m 03s, 1.00 miles, 14.81 Mi/hr
Lap 15: 04m 31s, 1.00 miles, 13.28 Mi/hr
Lap 16: 03m 26s, 1.00 miles, 17.48 Mi/hr
Lap 17: 03m 44s, 1.00 miles, 16.07 Mi/hr
Lap 18: 04m 36s, 0.90 miles, 11.76 Mi/hr

HILLY on the way in! I am so sick and tired of these stinking COLD mornings! I go out today in my bike shorts and am immediately pissed off. I checked the weather when I got up, the roads were dry. So when I go out to ride, I am slapped in the face with freezing cold spit rain. I hate spit rain. Rain or don't rain, but don't spit at me. I can't wear my sunglasses because it's too gloomy.

I went back in the house and had a mild temper tantrum, but realized it was silly to NOT ride. Threw some running pants on over my bike shorts, and took off glowering.

I love the idea of biking to work, I even have, once, enjoyed the implementation. But then there's the planning issue. I get to work and I'm freezing. It takes me three hours to warm up. I go to change and remember that I did not remember to bring an important article of clothing...undies. GRRRR! Then I notice that where I normally do not sweat, I have sweated a big circle on my CHEST! Underarms? Dry as a bone. Chest, big circle. It looks like I had one boob and I leaked.

I also nearly got mowed down by a Minivan Mommy who decided that stop was only a suggestion. Then she DOES stop when I yell "HEY!" and swerve to keep from being hit, and gives me an irritated wave through. Oh well THANK you, your royal effing HIGHNESS! Thank you SO much for LETTING me have the right of way when you have a stop sign and I don't. Do you want me to kiss your manicured toes too? By the way, I hope you're toasty in that minivan because I am freezing my ass off, and not in the mood to dodge people who can't pay attention while they drive. Just hope that someone else doesn't decide to blow off a stop sign while your CHILDREN (who are apparently honor students) are riding THEIR bikes!

Riding home too, which will be more pleasant. Way less hills, it'll be warmer, and no one will care if I have a sweat stain on my shirt. Oh, and undies won't be an issue. I have a drawer full at home.

Okay I lied. It wasn't pleasant riding home because I got a flat! WAH!!! I was so frustrated. First, I had to change it in an area covered with goose poop. Three cyclists rode by and no one asked if I needed anything. (I always do.) I finally got the damn wheel back on and went to inflate it, Roy had used my last CO2 cartridge, and put it back EMPTY! Fortunately I have a good hand pump. I was SURE I was going to get a pinch flat because it looked "pinched" right near the stem, but it appears to be fine. Took me FORTY minutes to change it. :\

Called Roy to let him know I was okay and heading home. Passed some taggers on MY trail. Called the police. I hope they caught the bastards.

Called Roy again to let him know I'd spent 10 min on the phone with the police station, so was still on my way. He informed me the car is in the shop OVERNIGHT again! (Insert multitudes of swear words here.) After a marathon and many bike rides this week, my knees are SINGING OPERA! No way did I want to ride to work again.

Oh well...I made it home in only 2:15! Pft!

  • 42m
  • 4.13 miles
  • 10m 25s /Mi

S L O W run this morning. My legs were definitely feeling the after-effects of the marathon. Took Dash out with me. He was a Very Good Boy, and didn't even pause when we ran by heavy breathing dog monster house. What a great running dog he is.

Just couldn't find a groove, but I did enjoy this week's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me." Hee hee. That's the best podcast EVAH!

Plan for tonight is ride my bike home from work (since car is going into shop), and then do some gardening and get to bed at a decent time! No drama tonight, please! No burying dogs by moonlight. No calling 911 for passing out clients. No idiot lights.


  • 1h 32m 22s
  • 21.64 miles
  • 14.06 Mi/hr

Lap 1: 05m 05s, 1.00 miles, 11.80 Mi/hr
Lap 2: 03m 30s, 1.00 miles, 17.14 Mi/hr
Lap 3: 04m 14s, 1.00 miles, 14.17 Mi/hr
Lap 4: 04m 10s, 1.00 miles, 14.40 Mi/hr
Lap 5: 08m 42s, 1.00 miles, 6.90 Mi/hr
Lap 6: 04m 25s, 1.00 miles, 13.58 Mi/hr
Lap 7: 04m 00s, 1.00 miles, 15.00 Mi/hr
Lap 8: 03m 59s, 1.00 miles, 15.06 Mi/hr
Lap 9: 04m 15s, 1.00 miles, 14.12 Mi/hr
Lap 10: 03m 36s, 1.00 miles, 16.67 Mi/hr
Lap 11: 04m 05s, 1.00 miles, 14.69 Mi/hr
Lap 12: 04m 02s, 1.00 miles, 14.88 Mi/hr
Lap 13: 04m 08s, 1.00 miles, 14.52 Mi/hr
Lap 14: 03m 48s, 1.00 miles, 15.79 Mi/hr
Lap 15: 04m 23s, 1.00 miles, 13.69 Mi/hr
Lap 16: 03m 17s, 1.00 miles, 18.27 Mi/hr
Lap 17: 03m 29s, 1.00 miles, 17.22 Mi/hr
Lap 18: 04m 33s, 1.00 miles, 13.19 Mi/hr
Lap 19: 03m 57s, 1.00 miles, 15.19 Mi/hr
Lap 20: 03m 46s, 1.00 miles, 15.93 Mi/hr
Lap 21: 04m 04s, 1.00 miles, 14.75 Mi/hr
Lap 22: 02m 54s, 0.64 miles, 13.18 Mi/hr

Run #1
  • 40m
  • 2.90 miles
  • 13m 47s /Mi

Coaching...what a NIGHT! First I was anchor, which was fine. I'd already run 6 miles and my legs were feeling it from Sunday. I noticed one of my run/walkers walking. As I came up to her she was in the midst of an asthma attack (coming down from it), so I slowed and walked with her talking to her to make sure she was okay, and then stayed with her. I had one after the race on Sunday, so I totally felt her pain and panic. She agreed that, from now on, she would carry her rescue inhaler on every run. (please!)

We finished up and got back. I was standing outside with the ladies stretching, a few were inside, when someone called my name. Another lady wasn't feeling well, was disoriented and really woozy. So I go in and she's wobbling like a weeble. I get her to sit down and she goes out. Oh great! So I'm talking to her, "Are you with me? Hey! Are you with me?" She comes to for a few second, "Yes! I am with you. I'm fine!" and then *slump*

AIEEE! Called for someone to help me get her to the floor (I was afraid she was going to throw up and aspirate) and call 911. She was out 20-30 seconds, but as soon as we got her to the floor she started to come to. Insisted she didn't want 911, she was fine. They canceled, but then came anyhow (which I'm glad for). Then it was the argument, "I don't want to go to the hospital" "But you need to go." Thank the LORD one of our runners is a doctor. But her BP was really low, she was probably dehydrated (it was a warm run and she'd pushed herself to run further than she ever has in the past). Finally we talked her into going so she rode off in the ambulance.

We agreed afterwards that from now on, 911 is just plain policy. If someone goes out or down, no argument, no asking. That's the way it is.

I'm learning a lot of things on this internship! Oy vey!

I think she'll probably be fine, but better safe than sorry!

Then on the way home the check coolant light came on. Why? Because we just SPENT $1200 on the car, that's why! So I had to stop off and top it off. The temp gauge didn't go high, but it was losing coolant fast. so back to the shop it goes, and the drive was over an hour instead of 40 minutes.

I'm through with drama, okay? Thanks!

Run #2
  • 1h 01m 26s
  • 6.08 miles
  • 10m 06s /Mi

  • -----
  • 3.20 miles
  • -----

Walking all over Spokane in the morning. Walked to breakfast then all over Riverside Park. It was a beautiful morning.

  • Hiking
  • 1h 30m

Hiked in the Gingko Petrified Forest on the way home. We saw a dead snake, a lizard, and lots of pretty desert plants. It was a really nice diversion. Unfortunately we ended up sitting in traffic for over an hour. Not sure if we would have missed it or not if we hadn't stopped off.

Sadly our wonderful weekend was marred by the death of our wonderful collie, Madison. We came home to find she'd gone to sleep and just not woken up. I was upstairs and Roy went to let the dogs in from the kennel. (They have a big kennel with access to our basement, so nice and warm and dry and lots of room to play.) Dash and Murphy came up, but Maddie didn't. I heard sobbing coming from downstairs and ran outside to find him stumbling up the stairs crying.

She was such a beautiful, sweet, gentle girl. She'd look at you with these gorgeous chocolate eyes as if you were the most wonderful person in the entire world...and then she'd burp. The entire house was always covered with "tumble fur" from her blowing coat CONSTANTLY. She loved to play...for awhile, and then she got cranky and would go all "Cujo on your ass" at Dash. Poor Dude, he never quite got that when she was done playing, she was DONE.

Last weekend we took them all to the dog park, which is her MOST favorite place EVER. If you even mentioned "Dog Park" or even "Swog Mark" or "Log Snark" she would go INSANE! Because her hips were starting to bother her, we kept her on leash until we got out to the lake. On the lake she assumed her role of herding the rest of the dogs to try to control chaos. She'd run up and down the beach trying to get the dogs in the water out of the water, snapping at the dogs running around to "behave" and "stop running! It's dangerous!" and just having a HELL of a time. I'm so thankful we took them. Who knew it would be her last trip to the park?

Friday Roy and I were in the "used food store" and I saw a toy that I knew she'd love, so I told him "Maddie told me to get this for her." We brought it home and I enjoyed watching her and Dash play with it that night, until Dash performed a Squeak-ectomy on the poor thing. Even after that, she ran around with it's "shell" in her mouth, shaking it and trying to get Dash to tug on it for a good game of tug of war. Last night we buried her with that toy (or what was left of it), and planted a hydrangea over the top. The dogs got me the hydrangea for mother's day, so I thought it was fitting. (On a rather crass note, do you have any idea what a challenge it is to get a 90 pound collie up the stairs and then dig a grave deep enough to bury her in in the dark? Yeah. I'm sure the neighbors are STILL talking.)

Here is my beautiful girl. She's the one second from the front. The merle 'Sandy' colored collie at the Dog Park last week. (In fact, her first "acting" role was as Sandy in Roy's first play, "Annie.") She found two other collies and fell in with them like, "Hey! Kin!"

 The Collie Crew

teechur's Training Log

 June 2008 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     
  • July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2009 totals
  • 2008 totals