• 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 11s /100 yards

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • 1h 00m

Sport
  • Aerobics
  • -----
I decided with a triathlon coming up in two days, to go ahead and take a rest day today. Work has me slammed and stressed, so a workout MIGHT have been good if the idea of doing it wasn't stressing me out more. I wasn't going to run or bike, so plan was to swim in the lake. But it was WAY too cold. Didn't want to go to the hassle of getting to the pool knowing Roy would have to sit and wait for me. I haven't had a full rest day in awhile so it was probably overdue.

Run
  • 2h 50m 18s
  • 14.07 miles
  • 12m 06s /Mi

OMG what a SLOW and painful run! I don't know what the deal is, but I was not feeling the running love. I decided for some STUPID reason to take the hilly route. Big uphills, big downhills and by the time I hit mile 8 my legs were DONE!

So the plan was, Roy would pick me up at 12 miles. But for some reason, he got his lines crossed and he showed up on his bike. I wanted to cry. It was SO cold and windy. Too warm to wear jacket, but too cold to take it off. So I was sweating inside the jacket, and then the wind came up and FROZE me. So when I called him at mile 11 and he said he was on his bike, I nearly cried. Here he was being SO sweet riding out to meet me with fresh water and a Reeses PB Cup!

So he turned around to go home and get the car and I ran back towards McDonalds. Right after I got off the phone from him (much of my slowness was walking while we talked) he got a blowout on his bike! That back tire of his has gotten a flat 6 times in 3 months! Poor guy!

It was apparently Jackass day in Starbucks (I blogged it on my regular blog), but I finally got a table and relaxed and had a sandwich. (Realized that since Roy had to walk home I might as well run on to Starbucks since I had a Starbucks card in my shoe and could get a sandwich and coffee and warm up.)

In retrospect I should have just run in with Roy and walked once I needed to. It would have only added two miles. But wow, my knees HURT tonight. I don't think it will impact my triathlon much on Saturday. They just feel tired hurt, not injured hurt.

Tomorrow, no running. Swimming...no running. Although I didn't run on Monday. Hmmm.

Run #1
  • 42m 28s
  • 3.34 miles
  • 12m 43s /Mi

Coaching, so we did a run/walk combination...but my ladies I ran with did almost the entire thing running! And here they thought it would take an hour to run the 5k! I'm so proud of them.

Run #2
  • 43m 40s
  • 4.30 miles
  • 10m 10s /Mi

Totally pouring down rain at work. I forgot my Garmin and I coach tonight, so I had to go get it. (They LOVE knowing how far they ran!) When I got home it was totally dry! So I gladly ran four of my miles at home. Legs felt tired tonight. Not sure why.

Swim
  • 55m 56s
  • 2100.00 yards
  • 02m 40s /100 yards

I will never ever get faster...ever.

Bike
  • 2h 34m 05s
  • 36.01 miles
  • 14.02 Mi/hr

Biked to work. Car is still in the shop, so I took off at 5:45. I can't even believe I'm UP at 5:45, much less out on a bike. I really have been thinking a LOT about the changes I've made in my life.

It was actually a pretty pleasant ride. Okay, I could do without big ass trucks spraying road spit in my face on the 529 highway. Nothing like a big rig coming at you at 55 mph! Whee! Actually, I am no longer afraid of the highway, so it doesn't bother me. I just clamp my mouth shut, hold onto the bike a little tighter, and breathe out when the blow hits me.

I actually biked a lot more efficiently today, for some reason. No going into grandma-ring. Not even once (and there are a few really steep hills on the way in). I got here a skoche faster than in the past, and my heart rate wasn't as high. (Which means I burned less calories...darn it.)

Car won't be ready until after 3 p.m. so I'm going to go ahead and bike home. Hope I don't crash as I'll be carrying a dozen eggs! LOL! Seriously. I buy eggs from a guy at work for my banana pancakes.

Tory's Banana Pancakes

1/2 small banana

1/4 cup rolled oats

1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp baking powder

1 Tbs ground flaxseed

5 or 6 dried cherries ('cause I like dried cherries)

1/2 tsp cinnamon (I actually toss in cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and ground cloves in small amounts)

1 or 2 egg whites

Mush bananas well. Mix in dry stuff. Drop in egg whites and feed the yolks to the dogs begging quietly at your feet. Mix well. Toss in the cherries. Add a packet of splenda if needed, but I use brown bananas. 

Pour into prepared frying pan and cook just like a pancake. Makes one really big pancake. It doesn't need anything on it because the banana makes it good and sweet. 

178 calories, 3 grams GOOD fat (from flaxseed), 29 grams good carbs, 6 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 8 grams protein, and 15 mg calcium. 

Run
  • 1h 35m 40s
  • 9.07 miles
  • 10m 33s /Mi

I ran and biked a total of 114.5 miles last week. Wow. When I think back to where I was seven years ago... Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd be able to do things like that.

Today was a typical example. Car is in the shop, we wanted to go see a movie, and Roy needed to go back to his classroom to unlock the piano because it's Baccalaureate today. So rather than sit home and watch gardening shows and DVDs, we hit the road at 9 a.m. Ran to the movie theater and watched Sex and the City (loved it). Then we ran on to his classroom. (Well I ran, he biked. He's still not able to run due to his knee.) He unlocked the piano and we ran out to lunch. Stopped by the pizza place and split a personal pizza (BBQ chicken) and had salad bars. After a nice lunch we ran home.

Tomorrow must get to work, so I'll be biking it again. I sure hope it isn't cold, but it will be so I just have to accept that and deal. I don't want to put anyone out driving me in, and I don't know the phone numbers of any colleagues coming from Marysville. I just hope I don't get a flat. I put a tire on that has that slime in it, so I hope that means I won't have problems. I also patched the other tire, since I was able to find the hole, and hope that will hold if I DO get a flat. Heck, if I get a flat I can call work and someone can come get me with the van. I work in a great place that way.

I just feel so blessed to be able to do all of this. It's interesting because someone said to me the other day that I am "lucky" to be able to. On the one hand, yes. I am fortunate that I have a healthy body, the leisure time, and the support to keep fit. But health is NOT about luck. The more I learn about health and aging, the more I understand that most age related health problems are really NOT age related. They are lifestyle related. But I think people want to believe that a person who runs by them, looking thin and fit, is "lucky" because then that lets them off the hook. Blessed? Yes. Lucky? No. I work hard to stay in good condition and while I enjoy it, it is very calculated. I plan to live a long time, and I want to be healthy doing just that. So I choose to control everything I can control related to my health.

But I do honestly feel blessed. While I was frustrated to hear my car wouldn't be out of the shop until Monday, I knew it wouldn't necessarily mean the weekend was shot. We managed to go out to breakfast yesterday morning, run to the store (to get a new tire for my bike), and spend the day gardening. Today we managed to run an errand, see a movie, and go out to lunch. (Ha! Have to say, "This pizza lunch made possible by 9 miles of running.) I love that I was able to say "Sure" to all of that because nine miles isn't that big of a deal.

I have a triathlon on Saturday of next week, and I'm very nervous about it. But I realize that really, it's just a "busy day" for me. I can swim a mile, bike 24, and run 6.3 with no problems...so why am I so nervous?

Sunday we want to run the Furry 5k. We'll run without Maddie this year, which is very sad. But the boy s will have a blast and we'll run in her honor. Maybe I'll bring some cash with me to make a donation to the animal shelter in her name. I miss my Maddie. The house still feels so empty without her.  

teechur's Training Log

June 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • July's totals
  • June's totals