Run
  • 47m 24s
  • 4.23 miles
  • 11m 13s /Mi

Wow, could I be any slower? Legs are tired and more sore today than yesterday, but by the end of the run they felt better. I even ran through the hills of Jennings Park and said to myself, "Self, why don't you run here more often?" There aren't a lot of trails, but they are nice and it's literally just down the street. I run past it on every run.

PFTD: Bike ride for sure, maybe bike out to Martha Lake and swim.

Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 5.04 miles
  • 14m 53s /Mi

Okay so it was more like a walk...sue me. But hey, I ran over 75 miles in the last 8 days! My legs are a little tired.

I actually feel more stiff than anything. I am amazed that I took two IBU at mile 23 and NOTHING since. I didn't even take aspirin or IBU before bed! Go legs! Nothing needed this morning either.

I am convinced that it was the ice bath. I had Roy get a bag of ice when he went out to the store, then put tepid water in the tub, poured on the ice, and sat there for 15 minutes singing ice bath songs until I could no longer feel my lower half.

I have a massage and chiropractic adjustment scheduled for Wednesday. I plan to swim tomorrow. (I wanted to today, but SOMEBODY told me no because I needed a rest day. Hmph.) So since we're going to the B-52s concert in Seattle tomorrow I'm going to have Roy bring the kayak and swim across Greenlake a few times.

Run
  • 4h 59m
  • 26.20 miles
  • 11m 25s /Mi

Were monkeys running this marathon? (2008)
Course: 4 Organization: 2 Fans: 2
T K from Pacific Northwest (6/29/08)
11-50 previous marathons | 4-5 SEAFAIR Marathons
I have run this race three times as a half marathoner, and this was my first time as a full marathoner and I could not believe how disorganized it was.

First of all, it was delayed by 15 minutes. Not a big deal, except that it was quickly getting hotter out by the minute. We live in the PNW. We wear shorts when it gets to 50, and start complaining about the heat wave at 62. (You think I'm kidding...) The loudspeaker guy was telling us all to line up on the course. The police office behind us was telling us all to get OFF the course because the road was still open. Never mind that literally if a car drove through the area we were on, they would have to drive over the start line. So we'd get off. Then the loudspeaker would say 'Start lining up! Get onto the course!' and the police loudspeaker lady would say 'Get off the street and onto the sidewalk!'

Finally the race started and we were on our way. The first water stop was so disorganized you had to stand and wait for water. I timed a two minute wait. Later on at mile 12 there were no cups at the water stop! They offered to poor water in our mouths. Um, I don't think so. Considering that by then it was mid-80s, that was NOT cool. Not only that, but they were within 2 blocks of a grocery store. Up until the point where we lost the half marathoners, every water stop was a scramble with no one who actually was holding water to hand out. You had to grab an empty cup and try to get the water into it yourself. What a difference from Grandma's marathon a week earlier where I practically had volunteers wanting to hold the cup for me while I drank!

I almost missed a turn because volunteers were talking, and it was spectators who told me which way to go. At another point I was directed INTO traffic. Another point I was held up so traffic could cross...only for a few seconds, but hey.

The worst, though, was that they ran the children's race on the same course at the end of the course, and funneled children and their parents INTO THE FINISHERS' CHUTE!

First of all, I just ran a marathon for which I payed a pretty penny. I deserve to be able to finish without having to dodge children (there were at least five in there when I was finishing) and mothers in capris and flip flops. The accomplishment of a marathon or half marathon is special and it was wrong of someone with half a brain to decide 'wouldn't it be neat if we had the KIDS there too?!' As I finished I ran up to the people with medals and was told, 'Oh, your medals are back THERE, these are for the kids.' Maybe not very PC of me, but I am sick and tired of every adult event being taken over by over-indulged children. (Nothing against kids. Love 'em to death and am a HUGE supporter of the children's races.)

Second of all, it was dangerous, especially at the time it was held. It was JUST as the 5 hour mark was coming up. I'm a runner trying to come in within 5 hours, I am tired, I am stumbly, I am dehydrated...the last thing I am thinking is 'Oh, I need to watch out for the four year old in front of me in case she stops...which she is doing and turning back and running towards me. Why is she doing that? She can't do that!' I nearly collided with a child, and saw other runners do the same. I had been focused on the word FINISH and the sound of the person trying to pass me in the chute behind me. Not on the children.

Third of all this meant that very tired runners who really needed water, and fast, were fighting for water with kids. (Well not literally FIGHTING...that wouldn't be very PC either.) A volunteer was trying to hand me a cup of water and a parent was saying 'Take it Johnny! Take that one!' and the volunteer is lifting it higher so he can't reach it, but I can, and the parent reaches for it. He just ran 100 meters. I just ran 42 KM...do ya MIND if I get a drink first?

Put the kids race on expo day, somewhere else in the park, etc. Don't NOT do the kids race, but DO NOT DO IT WHERE THE ADULT MARATHONERS ARE RUNNING!

Weather was unseasonably hot, but what are you going to do. It wasn't horrible when we ran along the lake but once we got into town...oy vey!

Two other friends and I (not running together) had GPS units and measured the course almost a full mile short.

Good stuff: Love the new course. It is REALLY challenging and anyone who says it is fast is on crack. Don't be fooled. This course will challenge you. First there are hills, then more hills, then even more hills. Then, there are hills. Now I don't actually MIND hills and hey, with the short course I still made it under my 'please don't let me be any longer than 5 hours' cutoff. (Although inside, the short course really harshes my mellow.) But it is not a great course for a PR! That's for sure!

There were more volunteers on the course than I've seen in years past and they were great. Supporters are still pretty sparse, but I think it's because they really need to learn how to make this a community event, not 'something that those runner types do...and you know, they are kind of strange.' Some marathons they need to look at for help with that: SLC, Grandma's, Eugene, Portland. There did seem to be more spectators than I remember in the past, but many of them waited for their runners and cheered only for them. We need some coffee shop or something to organize 'cheer zones' like they have in NYC (I think Tulley's Coffee gave away free coffee and doo-dads for supporters) so people get 'This is a sporting event and those people out there LOVE it when you cheer for them, no matter if they are 2:10 marathoners or 6:10 marathoners.'

Loved running across 520, and what a gorgeous day for it!

Pirates were awesome! Love the cannon at the start.

I will do this race again on the condition that they move the children's race to another spot. (Like they're just sitting around wondering what that chick in the skirt who came in at just under 5 hours wants before they plan next year.) Even with the problems, I'd run it again because it is a REALLY good challenge. Plus I had my own cheer squad (my husband) from mile 18 to the finish, and that rocked.

What is going on with BT? I save my data and it doesn't show up. I reopen the day, my run is in swim. I did it again, it didn't show up. I look again, my run is in bike. 

Today should probably be a rest day.

Meeting Lisa and Jenny in an hour to go to the expo. I have a blister between two toes. WTF? Maybe I stepped on something in the lake yesterday.

I'm jonesing to swim again, but Roy is doing a garage sale (God bless his soul, I freaking HATE doing garage sales), so no one to keep me safe. He did agree to go out with me 2 or 3 times next week. He made a face, but pffft on his face.  

Run
  • 1h 05m
  • 6.04 miles
  • 10m 46s /Mi

Took a little run with Dash this morning. Aren't dogs supposed to LIKE going on walks and runs? Poor Murphy was BESIDE himself when he realized he wasn't going. But Dash heads out the door like a lamb being led to slaughter on Easter morn. Then he dragged almost the entire way! WTF?

So it was a slow run, although I think I should get extra calories for having to drag a 70 pound dog behind me.

Swim
  • 38m
  • 1550.00 yards
  • 02m 27s /100 yards

Met Lisa for a swim. Unfortunately we got our lions crossed (I almost typed loins...hee hee) and started way late. Next time we set a FIRM place to meet!

We swam out to a spot about um...some distance away from the shore. It was WINDY so the water probably the choppiest I've ever swam in. I am proud that while the thought that I could be swallowed by a giant wave (ahem) crossed my mind, I didn't get nervous at all and eventually even set into my five stroke. I love my five stroke. When I am feeling good, I swim five strokes for every breath.

After heading back to shore and dropping Lisa off I swam back over to the boat launch to help Roy bring the kayak in. I swear there is a current in that spot! We talked about it when we finished the swim, too, that it felt like as you got closer to the dock it got really rough! It took me five minutes to hit that really rather short distance because I honestly felt like I swimming upstream!

It was a good swim, though. Unfortunately I forgot sunscreen and am now slightly burned. I'll have to make EXTRA sure to have it on on Sunday for the marathon.

Roy dragged me (not unwillingly) to see the midnight showing of Wall-E last night.

Turn off the computer and go see it. Now.

Why are you still reading this? Tory gave an order, and when Tory says jump, you ask how high!

No, seriously. It was SO good and had some really great messages about what humans are doing to the world, about love, about leading a sedentary lifestyle, about technology doing too much for us to the point where we suffer from it. But oddly NONE of this is crammed down your throat. If it were, I wouldn't have liked it. I think I'm the only one who hated to movie Crash because I don't like a movie telling me that I am bad, then wagging its finger at me. It was a very very SWEET movie and the animation...OMG. AmAzInG!

Race report for Grandma's is up! 

Run
  • 1h 13m 42s
  • 7.18 miles
  • 10m 16s /Mi

Sloggy slow run, but I did keep stopping to see how houses were priced. Almost every one we passed had a "new price" sign. I feel bad for all the people losing their homes. A lot of them don't even look like they're trying to sell. The houses look run down, yards aren't mowed, pain peeling. I think many are abandoned.

Had a scone and coffee at Starbucks then took the "longer" way home (and the "long" way there). Just trying out new routes. I always like finding a new way to add a little mileage without it feeling like I'm adding mileage.

Sport
  • Wii Fit
  • 25m

Bike
  • 2h 13m 19s
  • 28.50 miles
  • 12.83 Mi/hr

Biked out the mall today to see a movie. It was a nice ride. The way out is more challenging because it's more uphill. The way back always feels so speedy!

We saw the movie then had lunch. On the way home we stopped and picked up scones for breakfast at some point this week.

Roy got on my "list" though because he decided to try to beat me home by taking a different route. Only problem is, I didn't know he was doing that. All I know was that he was behind me, then he wasn't. I thought something might have happened so I waited for him. Then I went back. I called him. I freaked out a little. Then finally decided that I'd go ahead and go home and hope he wasn't under the wheels of a truck or stuck with a flat.

We have agreed that "no games" is the rule when we go on bike rides. Since he's slower than I am (heavier bike) I often go ahead him then wait for him to catch up. So I am always going to wonder if something has happened if I can't see him!

Wind was really whipping up when we were heading out! When five big rigs passed us in a row I got blown over a few feet on the highway, which was a little freaky! But overall it was a nice ride.

teechur's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • July's totals
  • June's totals