Run
  • 1h 11m 25s
  • 7.02 miles
  • 10m 10s /Mi

Ran to the HS pool to meet a friend to swim. I carried my stuff in my trail running pack (just took out the water bladder). It was HOT to run in without the benefit of trees! Fortunately my wonderful husband decided to stop by and work in his classroom and offered to take my pack home after I finished my swim.

Swam 1.5 miles and then went out to lunch. Ran home from lunch (turkey pesto baguette at Sbux) in the warmth of the sun. A bit too warm for a run, but I am NOT complaining!

Swim
  • 1h 10m 21s
  • 2700.00 yards
  • 02m 37s /100 yards

Swam laps at the HS pool. Actually was doing a much better time than indicated, but must have slowed down at the end. It's all good, though. I was able to get my 1.2 mile goal in less than an hour, and that's with turning every 25 yards and no wetsuit, so I should be able to hit that in my triathlon. I sure hope so!

Bike
  • 27m 33s
  • 5.53 miles
  • 12.04 Mi/hr

Wow! Look at that DISTANCE!

Actually yesterday was day one of the Tour de France Challenge I do every year for the last three years. I challenge myself to ride my bike at least once a day for every day of the Tour. I figure if those guys can bike UP the damned French Alps, I can bike to the store or to a movie...which is what we did. We biked to see Wall-E again. I swear it was even BETTER the second time! And while I thought I hadn't fallen asleep when I saw the midnight showing, apparently I did. But it was so worth seeing again, I'd actually see it AGAIN again!

Run
  • 1h 00m 57s
  • 6.15 miles
  • 09m 55s /Mi

Ran to Starbucks this morning. Actually laid in bed until almost 7:30 (which is completely unlike me) thinking "Should I run? I biked a lot yesterday. I should take a day off. No, I should run because I only ran three miles yesterday. Yeah, but I biked a lot yesterday. Maybe my legs would like a break. But you BIKED a lot, you did not RUN a lot, so your legs will be fine to run." THEN I got up and ran to Starbucks, the longer way for a total of six miles. Enjoyed a scone, some coffee, the paper, and Roy's company. He drove because his leg hurts and his bike tire was flat, so it was a solo run and kind of nice. I listened to NPR's Most Emailed Stories on the way, and then Wait Wait Don't Tell Me that was recorded in Seattle. Curses on the man's soul because he did not find out that they were going to be in Seattle until the day after! I was denied of Peter Sagal, Paula Poundstone, Adam Felber, and Paul Provenza...and the great Karl Cassell. Sigh...

Run went well. My brain was right. My legs were fine to run.

Oh and I would LOVE to know what apartment the kids down the street live in. I so wanted to knock on their door this morning, wake the family up and say "Hey, why don't you send those boys out here to clean up the street. I'll be happy to help" (adding in my head "you worthless excuses for parents...") They left a HUGE mess. Now we aren't the Rockefellers, but we live on a "nice street" with one set of kind of icky but not TOO bad apartments, and two OBVIOUS rental houses (lawn mower meet renters, renters meet lawn mower). It's SO frustrating to try to keep a relatively nice looking yard and have the dirt down the street living in squallor with 37 dead cars on the lawn. The house across the street...beautiful, the house next to that...emaculate...our house "Okay" but nice. (We don't hire a lawn service, but a lot of our neighbor's do.) Our neighbor keeps her yard very nice. We have a bike path on both sides and a separate running path on one side. So this morning I bike past where the little miscreants spent the last three days blowing things up and wow, imagine that...the little buttheads didn't clean up after themselves. Apparently they felt the cleaning fairies would come and do it for them! *grumble*

Sport
  • Pilates
  • 50m

Okay wow. I've never done pilates. I put on one of the Netflix on demand videos and went into the "Studio" (I'm trying names for my home gym) and thought I'd just do one of the five segments. Did all five and holy CRAP! The arms one with the weights...jay-sus! Let me see if I can find the title...Rapid Solution: 10 Minute Power Pilates. It was good!

Holy crap...I just read that Troika has a 5 hour bike cutoff (from the start of the swim). I mean I THINK I can make that, but I'm not positive I can. I emailed the director to ask if I don't make it, can I still run unofficially. I will be DEVASTATED if I have given up this much time and effort to not even get a medal. :(

I should have signed up for Barb's with no cutoff. If I do get DQed, I will still do the distance even if I have to jump on the trail myself (it's not like they can keep me from running on a public trail) and I will buy my own damned medal.

I just have to set up a good race plan. It's like I know I can do it if I am careful with the swim (no freak out, no moments of panic), and work on my transition (need to practice that more), and stay steady on the bike. I need a lighter bike. I could do better with a lighter bike. Oh well. Go to happy place. Calm blue ocean.  

Bike
  • 3h 44m 01s
  • 52.44 miles
  • 14.05 Mi/hr

I was not looking forward to today, for some reason. It was raining when we left, and I hadn't been on my bike in a week. My legs were tired...so wasn't ready for a 65 mile ride.

But it actually went okay. We all stopped at Marymoor and Cheryl suggested that 50 was more than enough for me consider I ran a marathon last weekend. I agreed. Not because I was tired, but because I knew hills were a-comin' and while I really wanted to do 65 miles by this point, I wasn't sure I was too keen on 40 miles of hills. My knees just do not love hills.

Good call because at about mile 48 I tweaked something. Nothing major, but just enough that taking off at the stoplights was painful.

Strangely, as soon as I started to run all the pain went away! So it obviously isn't anything serious. I just haven't trained on hills like I should and the combination of hills and distance gets me.

Run #1
  • 44m 44s
  • 2.07 miles
  • 21m 37s /Mi

Poor Roy. His knee hurts SO bad. I think he really does have a soft tissue or cartilage injury. I hope it's nothing serious.

Run #2
  • 33m 17s
  • 3.27 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

Pretty good pace for a brick run. Surprisingly I felt great! I might have even been able to run faster if the lake weren't so congested. Roy came with me today (even though he didn't want to, and I told him he didn't have to), so when I called to tell him that I was only doing 50 miles he suggested I ride to him at Greenlake so we could see the milk carton races. Perfect! I ran around the lake and he hobbled over to Subway where we met and had lunch, then walked back around the lake.

Sport #1
  • Aerobics
  • 30m
Sport #2
  • Group Power
  • 30m
Sport #3
  • Yoga
  • 45m

Woot! I rocked the CENTER last night in the Firecracker 5000! I ran an average 8 minute 6 second pace. Splits:

Mile 1: 8:24

Mile 2: 8:17

Mile 3: 7:56

Last lap page: 6:49

Yeah baby!

I found Marie at the beginning with her husband and son. We hung around at the start then left our husbands (and her son) so that we could move up to the 8.5 min/mile pace area. I figured that would be about right with just having run a marathon, and actually being rather tired and not feeling great.

Got started together and she took off. I was fine with that. Suddenly right at about 1 km I just felt STRONG, we headed up a hill and I took off passing people right and left. No, I'm not the speediest wheel on the bike, but wow. I was amazed at how many people I passed! I passed Marie and called out to her and just kept on going. Decided to make a goal of negative splits, and hit that goal square on.

I really REALLY needed that boost last night. I have been feeling really horrible this week. My hormones are so messed up that yesterday was very ugly. I even hurt myself doing something really stupid in my anger and frustration. Poor Roy. When I asked him if he was mad at me (for my over the top reaction...and by over the top I mean Hulk x 1000), he said "No, I was just sad for you." Thank GOD he gets it. I have a friend who deals with similar issues and her husband just doesn't buy into the whole "PMS Thing." Where is that rusty bottle brush when you need it?

On a good note, I feel much more balanced today. I even managed to install a new video card into my computer without issues (other than unseating the RAM and trying to figure out the beep codes, and a frustrating thing where Microsoft in all its wonder, requires NVidia to disable cloning at a high resolution to a television, so the resolution I'm getting sucks ass). So now I can work on my computer in my room, and in the "gym" we can watch a DVD or workout video, or listen to music from the computer, or watch a movie from the computer, or watch TV through the computer. I feel so UBER GEEKY!

Today's plans are to have a very low key fourth. Our dogs need us to be around with all the fireworks. Murphy already has his valium on board (he's getting up there in age, and the fireworks make him IN-SANE). So we're going to have a fire in the firepit and watch the neighborhood explode around us. I have a long bike ride tomorrow so I may just stick with upper body workouts. Besides, I already got my run in today. Man I am STILL stocked from that run!

Run #1
  • 1h 10m 03s
  • 5.87 miles
  • 11m 56s /Mi

That's it, I need committment papers. My poor husband. MAJOR meltdown this morning over nohing. My hormones are so out of whack...

Ran in the rain. Ran home in the thunderstorm. Scary! That last half mile broke records, I'm sure. The first mile was pathetic because I walked most of it just because I was feeling so depressed.

Run #2
  • 25m 40s
  • 3.16 miles
  • 08m 07s /Mi

Woooo! Look at that PACE! I was ON last night. It was the Firecracker 5000. I love 5ks because I can just let it out and I know that I won't have to worry about trying to finish at the end.

I tried to go with about 80% RPE for mile 1, 90% for mile 2, and 95-100% for mile 3. REALLY felt great the entire time, except I strainged my left hamstring.

Swim
  • 48m 36s
  • 2200.00 yards
  • 02m 13s /100 yards

Swam across the lake and then some (swam out and then back in THEN across the lake). Good swim and felt solid the entire time.

Run
  • 1h 05m 55s
  • 6.04 miles
  • 10m 55s /Mi

Slow-ish run with Dash. He was pretty good, although he still acts like I'm leading him to the slaughterhouse and stealing his candy at the same time.

Had a nice day, although my hormones are so all over the place I'm ready to have myself committed.

Chiro first, then off to a massage appointment. Joel worked his magic. Felt SO much better afterwards. Roy and I went and had lunch, then I swam for almost an hour. Dinner with Lisa T (she was half hour late, though...grrrr)and sat and watched the storm for a bit last night.

Run
  • 47m 24s
  • 4.23 miles
  • 11m 13s /Mi

Wow, could I be any slower? Legs are tired and more sore today than yesterday, but by the end of the run they felt better. I even ran through the hills of Jennings Park and said to myself, "Self, why don't you run here more often?" There aren't a lot of trails, but they are nice and it's literally just down the street. I run past it on every run.

PFTD: Bike ride for sure, maybe bike out to Martha Lake and swim.

teechur's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • July's totals
  • June's totals