Run #1
  • 42m 50s
  • 3.26 miles
  • 13m 08s /Mi

Coaching out around Silver Lake. I had intended to go scope it out after the chiro yesterday, but that was when the car broke down so I didn't get out there. When we hit the turn it had changed due to construction that had been there last time I was running being gone. Since Roy was bringing up the rear I wasn't too worried, but unfortunately three of my group got confused and said they went all around the lake. I felt bad, but I'm glad they were together.

Run #2
  • 1h 38m
  • 7.98 miles
  • 12m 17s /Mi

Ran out to Starbucks with Roy and while we were there we got a call from the car place...the car is dead. It can be resurrected with a new engine to the tune of $5000, but that's not happening. Sometimes I resent being a teacher and our low incomes. It seems like every time we start rebuilding our savings (and we do EVERYTHING we're supposed ourselves first, etc.) something happens.

So the remainder of the run was part walking to find a private place to talk. The second this happened, we're both pretty upset, a lady comes and sits directly behind me even with 4 other open tables, and not across her table away from me. Went outside, and a couple sit down to we walked. Then running around to make arrangements for the car.

Bummer, but worse things have happened and we can afford a car payment. We just liked not having one. Plus we JUST put $2000 into this stinking car rather than get a new. That was our decision in June.

Hopefully we'll have one soon. I've already had to cancel a bunch of plans. Roy talked about not getting one until next weekend during sales, but um...I do have to get to work.

  • 46m
  • 3.61 miles
  • 12m 44s /Mi

Ran home from the pool. Did some walking because my ankle is tweaking and this does not make me happy.

  • 50m 52s
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 50s /100 yards

Went to the MPHS pool with Roy and met Shirley. I spent some time working with Roy on his breathing technique (or rather...gasping technique). My swim focused on my pull, not speed.

  • 3h 20m 35s
  • 18.10 miles
  • 11m 05s /Mi

Okay what a MESS! I was going to run with Jenny and Lisa, but my knee has been bothering me so the idea of running 12 miles alone didn't appeal to me. Roy agreed to ride with me, so I decided to run near home.

We got not even a mile from home when his tire went flat. I said I'd keep running up to the high school, and he went to change the flat. Five miles later I'm at the high school thinking "Oh great, now what do I do?" He had my water, I didn't bring my cell phone, nor did I have money." So I retraced my steps, figuring I had to run into him!

In the meantime he changed the tire, pumped it up, then ripped the valve off when trying to remove the pump. He walked home and got the car and instead of driving the direct route, he assumed I wouldn't take the direct route but go off into neighborhoods since part of 67th and 108th have no shoulder. I would NORMALLY do that, but since I hadn't said I would, I decided to just stay on the main roads. Somehow he drove 35 miles and didn't find me.

So I ran back all the way home trying to figure out what I should do if, when I got home, there was no way to get into the house. Plan was to get an empty bottle from the recycle bin and fill it with water from the hose. LOL! Fortunately before he left he put a water bottle, a key, and a note on the porch. I was able to get in. Looked for my waist pack. Huh. It's gone. Grab a different one, fill water bottles, go to grab my phone to call him. Okay, I knew I left it plugged in. So now what do I do? I can't call him! I know, I'll Skype him...but I can't find my headset (I know it's around, but didn't want to rest for too long as I still had 8 miles to go). I know, I'll text him! Sent 3 txt messages from the Verizon site, checked my email, he'd emailed me from his cell. Replied to that, grabbed my pack and headed out the door just as he pulled in.

He did the last 8 miles with me. We stopped at Sbux on the way home and while we were in there the heavens opened and it started to pour. Plus, sure enough, my ankle AND knee both really started singing opera about mile 16. Not sure if it is the new shoes, something I did in the HIM, or what but it hurt!

But alls well that ends well! Finished the run, iced the knee and ankle, took a hot bath and now...lunch is ready!

Rest day! Rather than run, I volunteered at the Danskin Triathlon. What a neat day! This is what I blogged yesterday:


I just got the spend the morning with 5000 amazing women. My friend, Lisa, Roy and I all volunteered at Danskin Triathlon in Seattle. I decided last year that at least once a year I would volunteer at a race, and once a year I would "support" at a race (run with runners and cheer them on). Last October I did race support at Portland for 6 friends, ended up running MORE than a marathon, and having the BEST time. I did it again for the Seattle Marathon, and again had a wonderful time. So I decided to do it again. I know how much I appreciate volunteers because these things don't happen without them.

So this year I decided to volunteer for Danskin rather than DO Danskin.

As expected, it was a fantastic experience! It is just so incredible to see so many brave women out there challenging themselves in such a fashion. There were large women, small women, women still dealing with cancer, bald women, happy women, emotional women, and all of them were amazing women.

I was positioned at the start of the run portion, so I got to see people as they headed out to their last leg. I screamed myself horse, clapped my hands raw, and loved every minute of it. I think my favorite experience was the woman who hurled herself onto the course, threw her arms in the air and shouted, "Cancer isn't going to beat me" while she pumped her arms in victory. Wow. What can you say to that, except, "You GO girl!"

Some of the other amazing moments were a little smaller; the mother and daughter who were teared up as they held hands. I'd like to think they were just so thrilled to be there together and finishing this feat that they couldn't hold it in. The MANY husbands on the sidelines calling out "I love you"s to their wives. The kids jumping up and down when they saw mommy as if she was winning the gold. The shy smiles of appreciation from women who were already swim and bike weary. The last lady, being accompanied by Sally Edwards who said, "I told my friends, 'I just don't want to have to walk with Sally'" and Sally's response, "I get that a lot." You could tell they were BOTH honored to be there. It was just a really special experience.

If you've never been to an event like this, you need to go. Even if you don't volunteer, just GO and see how TRUE athletes challenge themselves to compete. There are some amazing things going on in Beijing right now, but there were even more amazing things going on in Seattle today.

  • 1h 32m 51s
  • 5.26 miles
  • 17m 39s /Mi

This is how fast we "run" when we have pancreatitis. Roy and I decided to go to the Run the Mile today at Emerald Downs. You run a mile around the racetrack and the proceeds go to Little Bit Therapeutic. One of my former students was a client so I always feel good knowing that I have a personal connection (although I keep far away from this kid because his mother was IN-SANE and I simply do NOT need that...sad, too because the kid is a nice kid, the mother is nutbird). Anyhow, on the way in I started with that typical feeling. I kind of had an inkling I might be getting it soon from some symptoms I've noticed recurring. So I was bummed, but not surprised.

Decided to go ahead and pay for it and if I couldn't handle the run, Roy could run and my race would be a contribution. I ran a bit beforehand to see how everything felt and, as usual, I didn't feel any worse running and knew that with only a mile, I'd be fine.

Can I say that was the longest, hottest mile ever? Yes, I can say that because it was. Plus running on the freshly groomed track is like running in oatmeal. But it's fun and afterwards they feed you a complete BBQ (burgers, dogs, chips, and cookies...I did just the burger and the cookie and three diet sodas because I was so hot).

Race time was 8:39 which isn't great for me for a mile, but isn't bad considering how I felt.

Afterwards I was actually feeling a little better so in leiu of more running, since it was as hot as the seventh circle of hell, we walked on the Interurban Trail to see where that lead. It was a nice, easy walk. I was feeling MUCH better.

Unfortunately it all came back once I settled down so the rest of the day has been sleeping in the car, then sleeping at home, and now waiting for a friend to come stay with us, wishing I could just go to bed now.

  • 1h 04m
  • 6.07 miles
  • 10m 32s /Mi
  • Kayaking
  • 1h 20m

We made a discovery today. Poor little kayak suffers from shrinkage. On the slough we can go left to the warm waters or right to Puget Sound. When we go out towards the sound it feels like the damn thing is deflating. Last time we quit, sure it had a small hole. Nope! Left it up for three days and no loss. So today we went out right and sure enough, shrinkage that would make George Castanza cringe. So we paddled back, added more air, and took off to the left. No problem! So we decided we'd rent a regular kayak for a trip out to Puget Sound next week. We are also going to watch for end of season sales.

  • 3h 36m 30s
  • 50.51 miles
  • 14.00 Mi/hr

Hopped on the Burke Gilman Trail and rode out to Marymoor. OMG it was HOT! I mean like really really hot. Like Africa hot. Like seventh circle of hell, hot.

teechur's Training Log

 August 2008 
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
  • July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2009 totals
  • 2008 totals