• 1h 23m 01s
  • 7.11 miles
  • 11m 41s /Mi

You ever have one of those days where you just don't want to run? I think I'm so anxious about the car thing that I'm frustrated with having other focii. So I decide I'll go out without a plan. I grabbed Dash and we headed out in the opposite direction I usually go. I didn't turn at the place I usually turn but instead kept going up the hill and immediately found a little garden I've never seen. I ran more hills more hills and found that my soreness from yesterday's swim was gone. I found a park I haven't been to in ages, so we ran down there and what did we find, a few trails. So we started down the trails and I let Dash off leash and we were having a blast! He was "puppy running" (where the hind end is going so fast it doesn't quite keep up with the front end) and turning around every few 100 feet to look at me with a big grin. Mud from head to tail! We crossed a few little streams and slogged through some mud and listened to some frogs and it reminded me how much i LOVE trail running! It also convinced me I have to get Dash out there on the trails. It's slow, but it's just so peaceful (although a blackberry did grab my hat and hair and I was completely stuck for a few minutes). Unfortunately it was a very short trail but it was nice, nevertheless.

We ran home and he was about done at 6.5 miles, so the last bit was pretty slow. He's so cute, though. When we get to our drive I let him off leash. He runs to the porch and turns around for his "hugs". When I started running with him I always sat for a few minutes on the porch and gave him big hugs and head kisses and told him what a good boy he is for running with me. Now he won't go in until he gets that!

He's a good dog and it turned out to be a great run...a slow run (the trails lined with nettles and the hills contributed greatly) but a great run.

  • 50m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 14.40 Mi/hr

Biked out to the pool and then took a longer way back. Decided not to run today because I ran 11 yesterday (and was only supposed to do 8). So I figure I'm good for the day.

  • 08m
  • 0.56 miles
  • 14m 17s /Mi

LOL...pathetic, but I wanted to fill out my "run" for the day so I had a little mini tri!

  • 1h 04m 32s
  • 2200.00 yards
  • 02m 56s /100 yards

Yes, slow...but there is a reason. First of all, I did spend some time "coaching" Roy. He had a GREAT breakthrough today!! He said he's no longer afraid of the deep end and that he finally got the breathing down and kept talking to himself saying "You're not going to swallow the pool. Just breathe out." Man I remember how FREAKED OUT I was when I first started swimming, so I am SO proud of him. Normally if he is nervous about something and it isn't something he "has" to do, there's no way he'll even try it. But he's really taking the reigns on this and has decided we should swim two times a week before work. Awesome possum!

Plus it was "Play time" in the pool. So I swear every 5th length I had to stop and toss a noodle out, or a mat. I was getting kind of mad because the mats lay low in the water and I swam UNDER them a few times. Um, dangerous! So one of the girl lifeguards pulled them out because she said they weren't being used anyhow (and they kept getting in the lap lane). But one of the GUYS put it back in. At one point one of the really heavy "toys" floated over me and I hit it with my hand so hard I almost cried. DARN IT! If you are going to have lap swim open at the same time as the little kids and the toys, fix the lane delineators so that they are high enough to keep the toys from floating into the lap lane!

After awhile I just sited contstantly to keep from swimming into them. IT wasn't the kids either. Oh a few tims a random kid knocked something into the lane, but no biggie. It was the lane marker is under the water, the kids make waves, the toys float into the lane.

Run #1
  • 42m 50s
  • 3.26 miles
  • 13m 08s /Mi

Coaching out around Silver Lake. I had intended to go scope it out after the chiro yesterday, but that was when the car broke down so I didn't get out there. When we hit the turn it had changed due to construction that had been there last time I was running being gone. Since Roy was bringing up the rear I wasn't too worried, but unfortunately three of my group got confused and said they went all around the lake. I felt bad, but I'm glad they were together.

Run #2
  • 1h 38m
  • 7.98 miles
  • 12m 17s /Mi

Ran out to Starbucks with Roy and while we were there we got a call from the car place...the car is dead. It can be resurrected with a new engine to the tune of $5000, but that's not happening. Sometimes I resent being a teacher and our low incomes. It seems like every time we start rebuilding our savings (and we do EVERYTHING we're supposed ourselves first, etc.) something happens.

So the remainder of the run was part walking to find a private place to talk. The second this happened, we're both pretty upset, a lady comes and sits directly behind me even with 4 other open tables, and not across her table away from me. Went outside, and a couple sit down to we walked. Then running around to make arrangements for the car.

Bummer, but worse things have happened and we can afford a car payment. We just liked not having one. Plus we JUST put $2000 into this stinking car rather than get a new. That was our decision in June.

Hopefully we'll have one soon. I've already had to cancel a bunch of plans. Roy talked about not getting one until next weekend during sales, but um...I do have to get to work.

  • 46m
  • 3.61 miles
  • 12m 44s /Mi

Ran home from the pool. Did some walking because my ankle is tweaking and this does not make me happy.

  • 50m 52s
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 50s /100 yards

Went to the MPHS pool with Roy and met Shirley. I spent some time working with Roy on his breathing technique (or rather...gasping technique). My swim focused on my pull, not speed.

  • 3h 20m 35s
  • 18.10 miles
  • 11m 05s /Mi

Okay what a MESS! I was going to run with Jenny and Lisa, but my knee has been bothering me so the idea of running 12 miles alone didn't appeal to me. Roy agreed to ride with me, so I decided to run near home.

We got not even a mile from home when his tire went flat. I said I'd keep running up to the high school, and he went to change the flat. Five miles later I'm at the high school thinking "Oh great, now what do I do?" He had my water, I didn't bring my cell phone, nor did I have money." So I retraced my steps, figuring I had to run into him!

In the meantime he changed the tire, pumped it up, then ripped the valve off when trying to remove the pump. He walked home and got the car and instead of driving the direct route, he assumed I wouldn't take the direct route but go off into neighborhoods since part of 67th and 108th have no shoulder. I would NORMALLY do that, but since I hadn't said I would, I decided to just stay on the main roads. Somehow he drove 35 miles and didn't find me.

So I ran back all the way home trying to figure out what I should do if, when I got home, there was no way to get into the house. Plan was to get an empty bottle from the recycle bin and fill it with water from the hose. LOL! Fortunately before he left he put a water bottle, a key, and a note on the porch. I was able to get in. Looked for my waist pack. Huh. It's gone. Grab a different one, fill water bottles, go to grab my phone to call him. Okay, I knew I left it plugged in. So now what do I do? I can't call him! I know, I'll Skype him...but I can't find my headset (I know it's around, but didn't want to rest for too long as I still had 8 miles to go). I know, I'll text him! Sent 3 txt messages from the Verizon site, checked my email, he'd emailed me from his cell. Replied to that, grabbed my pack and headed out the door just as he pulled in.

He did the last 8 miles with me. We stopped at Sbux on the way home and while we were in there the heavens opened and it started to pour. Plus, sure enough, my ankle AND knee both really started singing opera about mile 16. Not sure if it is the new shoes, something I did in the HIM, or what but it hurt!

But alls well that ends well! Finished the run, iced the knee and ankle, took a hot bath and now...lunch is ready!

Rest day! Rather than run, I volunteered at the Danskin Triathlon. What a neat day! This is what I blogged yesterday:


I just got the spend the morning with 5000 amazing women. My friend, Lisa, Roy and I all volunteered at Danskin Triathlon in Seattle. I decided last year that at least once a year I would volunteer at a race, and once a year I would "support" at a race (run with runners and cheer them on). Last October I did race support at Portland for 6 friends, ended up running MORE than a marathon, and having the BEST time. I did it again for the Seattle Marathon, and again had a wonderful time. So I decided to do it again. I know how much I appreciate volunteers because these things don't happen without them.

So this year I decided to volunteer for Danskin rather than DO Danskin.

As expected, it was a fantastic experience! It is just so incredible to see so many brave women out there challenging themselves in such a fashion. There were large women, small women, women still dealing with cancer, bald women, happy women, emotional women, and all of them were amazing women.

I was positioned at the start of the run portion, so I got to see people as they headed out to their last leg. I screamed myself horse, clapped my hands raw, and loved every minute of it. I think my favorite experience was the woman who hurled herself onto the course, threw her arms in the air and shouted, "Cancer isn't going to beat me" while she pumped her arms in victory. Wow. What can you say to that, except, "You GO girl!"

Some of the other amazing moments were a little smaller; the mother and daughter who were teared up as they held hands. I'd like to think they were just so thrilled to be there together and finishing this feat that they couldn't hold it in. The MANY husbands on the sidelines calling out "I love you"s to their wives. The kids jumping up and down when they saw mommy as if she was winning the gold. The shy smiles of appreciation from women who were already swim and bike weary. The last lady, being accompanied by Sally Edwards who said, "I told my friends, 'I just don't want to have to walk with Sally'" and Sally's response, "I get that a lot." You could tell they were BOTH honored to be there. It was just a really special experience.

If you've never been to an event like this, you need to go. Even if you don't volunteer, just GO and see how TRUE athletes challenge themselves to compete. There are some amazing things going on in Beijing right now, but there were even more amazing things going on in Seattle today.

  • 1h 32m 51s
  • 5.26 miles
  • 17m 39s /Mi

This is how fast we "run" when we have pancreatitis. Roy and I decided to go to the Run the Mile today at Emerald Downs. You run a mile around the racetrack and the proceeds go to Little Bit Therapeutic. One of my former students was a client so I always feel good knowing that I have a personal connection (although I keep far away from this kid because his mother was IN-SANE and I simply do NOT need that...sad, too because the kid is a nice kid, the mother is nutbird). Anyhow, on the way in I started with that typical feeling. I kind of had an inkling I might be getting it soon from some symptoms I've noticed recurring. So I was bummed, but not surprised.

Decided to go ahead and pay for it and if I couldn't handle the run, Roy could run and my race would be a contribution. I ran a bit beforehand to see how everything felt and, as usual, I didn't feel any worse running and knew that with only a mile, I'd be fine.

Can I say that was the longest, hottest mile ever? Yes, I can say that because it was. Plus running on the freshly groomed track is like running in oatmeal. But it's fun and afterwards they feed you a complete BBQ (burgers, dogs, chips, and cookies...I did just the burger and the cookie and three diet sodas because I was so hot).

Race time was 8:39 which isn't great for me for a mile, but isn't bad considering how I felt.

Afterwards I was actually feeling a little better so in leiu of more running, since it was as hot as the seventh circle of hell, we walked on the Interurban Trail to see where that lead. It was a nice, easy walk. I was feeling MUCH better.

Unfortunately it all came back once I settled down so the rest of the day has been sleeping in the car, then sleeping at home, and now waiting for a friend to come stay with us, wishing I could just go to bed now.

teechur's Training Log

 August 2008 
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
  • July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2009 totals
  • 2008 totals