• 4224.00 yards
  • 01m 38s /100 yards

Starting line inspiration: 

Finish line inspiration:

Swim
  • 49m
  • 2050.00 yards
  • 02m 23s /100 yards

Putzed a lap of the swim course with Pseudoyams and Birkierunner. Water was oh so perfect!!!

Started the day with a snack at the hotel and met up with the BT crew at the Gatorade swim.  JSzat, Yams, Cubie, rstocks, Sue, Reggiemom, Birkierunner, Lori and I were all there.  Beautiful morning swim.  Then we walked the transition routes to figure out the flow of things.  Headed back to the hotel to get the transition bags packed and give the bike a final once over.  This took way longer than I thought it would--making a list, getting everything together, packing and taking inventory as I put it in the bags so that if I doubted anything I could check my list and hopefully avoid needing to go to the transition bags in the morning.  The smartest thing I did today was buy some flourescent pink tape to put on my transition and special needs bags.  IM transitions are so different from any other tri, the transition bags are on the floor of a conference hall organized by number but the bags are all identical!  The tape will make it much less of a thinking exercise to pick out.

We checked out bikes in, dropped off our transition bags, and went to State Street for some pasta around 2:30.  Then back to the hotel around 4 to meet my mom and a friend of hers who had arrived.  Shower, shave the legs for possibly the last time, and then took my mom to the Terrace to show her where she should be and where she can see us.  Finally, to an Italian place by the hotel for a light late dinner of a potato and a few ravioli, and now it's 8:30 and I'm about to mix my bottles of Perpetuem and put the last of my stuff in the special needs bags before tipping into bed to read and sleep early.  Much busier day than I had hoped, but this IM stuff is heavy on the logistics!!!

It.  Is.  Go.  Time.

P.S.  FishrCutB8--I hope you approve of my special IM modified edition of pace booty!

Greetings from Madison!!!  All registered and checked into the hotel--which seems great.  Met up with Jszat to caravan but he drives slower than my great grandma so really we saw him when we left Brookfield and again when we got here.  Meet up w/FirstNet911 and went through the reg lines.  Met CubeFarmGopher and Trixie, Trigods, and rstocks.  Lunch at the great dane and then...  To the bike shop!

Last night I was lubing the drive train of Lori's bike and noticed that where the carbon fiber joins with metal in the rear triangle had separated.  NOT safe!  Had it checked out today and bike shop confirms the frame is broken and unsafe...  So, she is renting a bike for the freakin' Ironman!  I'm sure it will be fine as the rental is a Madone 5.2, but riding something unknown is never fun when you have trained thousands of miles on a bike you know.  The bike shop on Machinery Row she is is renting from is putting her seat, bars and pedals on and copying the setup from her Orbea.

We're off momentarily to take a spin on the bikes and then to the athletes dinner.

Run
  • 40m
  • 4.14 miles
  • 09m 40s /Mi

Run. Didn't take the watch. Just wanted to run by feel. Didn't feel all that fast but could have kept on keepin' on!

Everyone else doing wrap up blogging, and I'm kind of a joiner, so I'm going to do it today too! 

Holy crap.  Today is my last work day before IMWI weekend.  I am excited!  The days are clicking off pretty fast this week so I'm sure 7 a.m. Sunday will be here before I know it.  The journey has been amazing--I'm strong and injury free right now so my second biggest goal has been met (finish under 16:59:59 is #1).  I thought about throwing down some goal times but I don't want the feeling of seeing a goal times slip by if things don't go as planned.  I've never blown up in a race but I have had my legs not show up for the run (see Wildflower this year).  I think I may take off my watch when I hit the run and just distribute all I've got over the course of the 26.2.  Even numbers on the clock seem significant to us triathletes, whether it be a 3 hour oly, 6 hour half, or 14 hour IM, but the bottom line is my goal (after that whole train injury free thing) for this race is to DO MY BEST.  So that's what I'm going to do.  Cruise the swim.  Easy job through T1.  EASY PEASY on the bike at least until the second loop (The 27 will be used generously!), run as much as I can between aid stations but remember to save some juice for the last 6 miles. 

For the last nine months, the number 140.6 has been in front of me on my desk.  It's been on the dashboard of my car.  Reminding me of what I've been working for. 

Now it is time to:  SOAK.  IN.  THE.  EXPERIENCE. 

I dont know if I'll do this again.

I've put so much work into the prep.

I've experienced complete bastardly grumpiness after sweating my ass off for (a hair shy of) 112 miles in heat and humidity.

I've felt my legs carry me on long runs the day after long rides, tired, but still there--and thinking this is probably what I'll feel the afternoon and evening of 9/9.

I've smoked Lake Mills and had great races at Elkhart and Racine in spite of backing off on the runs.

I've made some great friends on this journey.

My favorite place in the world these days is the finish chute of a tri--I can't fathom what the IM finish chute will feel like.

BT rulz.  Thanks for the support gang, training with everyone here is just awesome.  I can't wait to see many of you on and next to the course, and at the finish line!!!

Swim and run on the calendar for today, likely to just run and pack.

Thanks for the well wishing for my brother.  He is doing fine, still drugged up and in discomfort, but able to lay flat or stand up.  My mom went to Cali yesterday to see him and I think once she got there found that he is going to be okay and probably didn't need to go.  But you know how mom's can be!  She is still planning on being in Madison this weekend!

Scheduled rest day.  Started making piles of stuff for the T1, T2, and special needs bags along with the rest of the stuff to take for the weekend.  I can't wait to get this show on the road!

1:26 p.m.  I could totally take a nap right now.

Bike
  • 1h 12m 32s
  • 24.00 miles
  • 19.85 Mi/hr

Final shake down on the tri bike. Felt okay but not fantastic... Have some rubbing on the outside of the front der. when I'm in the 12 in back. Need to adjust that out, a bit frustrating as I just had my mechanic go over it so I wouldn't have to deal with this type of thing!

Run
  • 22m 25s
  • 2.60 miles
  • 08m 37s /Mi

Brickage. I feel kinda heavy.

Sport
  • Massage
  • 1h 00m

Holy shit that was awesome. Went to Sonia Hoff who specializes in distance athletes. She goes to Kona every year and works for four days on athletes. This was my kind of massage, none of that frilly stuff with a soft voice asking you to roll over... We talked tris while she wrenched on me. I wish I had been doing this all season! We have another appointment Wednesday next week for post moo rubdown.

Mornin.'  Not so good news.  My brother was surfing yesterday and got mashed on the bottom of the ocean when he fell from the top of a wave.  He landed on his shoulders and tweaked his lower back when his legs were pushed into his chest.  He managed to get out of the water and went to the ER.  CT scan shows some hairline fractures in two of the vertibrae just above the pelvis.  At the moment he is on Vicodin and resting on his back, and the job of today is getting in to see the best orthopod he can in the bay area.  I talked to him last night and he was a bit doped up but okay.  Your thoughts or prayers are appreciated!

In more exciting news, I'm feeling ready for Moo.  Clean eats and lots of rest are the order of the week.  Crappy night sleep last night as I found out about my bro when I was getting into bed at 10:30 last night and I have a bunch of mosquito bites from a bit of yard work and hanging out in a friends back yard yesterday.  They are everywhere now!

Looking forward to a massage at 3 p.m. today.

Swim
  • 50m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 02m /100 yards

Lake Michigan swim. 15 people showed up and it was fun to head out into the perfectly calm and crystal clear water with the group. For those of you who haven't swam in one of the Great Lakes on a perfectly calm day, put it on your list of things to do in this life. It is one of those experiences that makes you glad to be alive. Even out in the deep water, the sandy bottom looked like it was right in front of you. There are no fish, but between the calmess of the clean water, the sun shining, and the feeling of moving through the water, it is amazing.

Legs were a bit tired this morning when I woke up and stretched.  Chose to skip the bike workout today as fresh legs are key at this point.

Less than a week to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeterAK's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Time
Distance
  • July's totals
  • June's totals