Run
  • 3h 53m 51s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

Official Vegas time. First marathon is done. Not bad for completely blowing up at mile 7. More on that when I do my report.

Unfortunately, Tom missed Boston by 63 seconds. A 20mph headwind for the majority of the course did him in. Sucks.

2 things today as I get ready to pack. Heading out to Vegas tomorrow morning. Had no idea it was a 4 hour flight. Oh well...

Anyway, I had a dream last night that I was getting ready to start a big race. Not Vegas as it seemed like I was out in the middle of nowhere, kinda like where I grew up. The race was a completely backwoods operation, yet they still had timing chips. Unfortunately, they were still putting the chips together the morning of the race...with screwdrivers. Weird.

So I'm waiting in line for someone who can only be described as Mabel. A lady in her 70s (who looked a lot like my great aunt Mabel....go figure) that was the only one manning the chip handout table. So it's 5 minutes before the race starts and I'm still waiting for my timing chip. Completely nuts. I'm sure there was more to it, but that's all I remember. Thank heaven for no race day packet pickup.

Next, so I'm at Walmart yesterday (isn't that how all good stories start in Texas?), getting some stuff to wrap Shannon's Christmas presents - yes, I do my own wrapping. It looks like crap, but it's from the heart....

Anyway, so I have both boys with me going down the aisle trying to find the wrapping paper. Some chick asks me if I would like to try an energy drink. Being the mad athlete that I am, I'm always trying new stuff in the blind hope that it will instantly transform me into a fire breathing, 1:20/100m swimming, 30 mph biking, 5 minute per mile beast. So of course I tried it.

Quite possibly the worst stuff I've ever tasted. I was expecting something orangy since it was orange, but it was more like out of date grapefruit juice mixed with vinegar. My options at that point were:

• spit it back in her face and tell the truth - that it has replaced Big Red as one of the vilest substances on the planet
  • make some lame excuse and hand it to Drew
  • suck it up and drink the whole thing

I ended up with option 2. I said something about having just brushed my teeth (the whole OJ after brushing teeth phenomenon) and gave the cup to Drew. The chick freaked out. She wouldn't let me give it to him. Instead she grabbed the cup from my hand with lightning quick reflexes and replaced it with a cup of Sunny D. Makes me wonder how good the drink could be if they are scared to let kids have it.

• Health data: RHR: 52 Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 23m 21s
  • 2.40 miles
  • 09m 44s /Mi

EZ Z1 run with 6 30-second bursts around race pace. Last run before Sunday.

Good golly it's almost here. Work should be settled down today and Friday. That means I have 2 days to obsess before flying out on Saturday, starting now.

• Health data: RHR: 48 Hours slept: 6

Another rest day today. Entering my favorite stretch (early on) of the taper - carbo loading. I love pasta. Intentionally haven't eaten it for a week, because I know by Saturday night I'll be completely sick of it but will still force myself to eat some spaghetti for dinner.

Looking at the list of on course entertainment, and it's pretty cool. Blue Man Group at the start, Elvis impersonators, and Ozzy Osborne tribute band, some Texas Swing and rockabily (SWEET), a burlesque dance team (!), and so on. Tom said last year there was an aide station with exotic dancers. That'll get you moving at mile 20.

• Health data: RHR: 52 Hours slept: 7

Rest day today. Had a swim planned, but I felt more like sleeping in. It is a taper week, after all.

Luckily work has been crazy busy again, so I've had less time to think about Vegas. Did check the weather - overnight low of 43, high of 60. Perfecto. If that holds up, I'll probably go in short sleeves.

• Health data: RHR: 56 Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 31m 36s
  • 3.66 miles
  • 08m 38s /Mi

10 minute WU
4 sets of 2 minutes sprinting, 2 minutes recovery
5 minute CD

This was tough. Had lots of lactic acid buildup midway through the first sprint. It subsided during the recovery and didn't come back. Good, hard, short workout. Didn't quite make it to 4 miles, too much recovery and WU/CD running for that. No worries.

4 miler on the books today.

Officially into freakout mode now. So most of you know I'm running Vegas with my brother, trying to pace him into a Boston qualifier time (3:15 for him). So we were talking on the phone yesterday, and he let this gem slip - "Yeah, we'll try to keep it around 7:20 for the first 15 miles. Then we'll drop it down to 7:05 or 7:10 for the last 11 just to bank some time."

Gulp.

• Health data: RHR: 56 Hours slept: 7.5

apw0397's Training Log

December 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance