Sport
  • Walking
  • 18m

Ellie Mae walk

Run
  • 16m 23s
  • 1.33 miles
  • 12m 19s /Mi

Had an all-day team off site + happy hour so this was kind of short. I'll get back on track this weekend.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 15m

Longer walk with Ellie Mae

Our team off site today was interesting. It felt a little like our leaders suddenly either listened to feedback or realized that they don't to any of this important team building stuff, then wonder why out team isn't tight. They also heard that their counterparts on our external comms team did an exercise that's basically your love language for work - how you prefer to be shown appreciation/rewarded professionally. Not surprisingly, almost 100% of our team had the highest scores in "words of affirmation" and almost 100% of our team's lowest scores were "receiving gifts" (which was clarified as NOT including salary or bonuses). Yet our leaders are the worst at verbally affirming when people have done a good job. Hopefully this opens their eyes and they start to do it organically.

My result is truly how I want to be appreciated, but I was also intentionally scoring "gifts" low because  I think it's really lazy leadership to just throw rewards points (we have a point system where points actually = money) at employees and not actually have to interact or be genuine. I can't tell you how many times my leaders have realized I was wildly overwhelmed or that I did some magic tricks to get a large volume of work done - only to have points thrown in my account with a "great job!" note attached. No conversation. No actual acknowledgement. SO LAZY!

Run
  • 34m 53s
  • 3.01 miles
  • 11m 35s /Mi

Treadmill after work - trying to get back on track!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 06m

Super brisk walk with Ellie Mae. Cold out, and I was still in my gym shorts.

Finally home and don't have another trip until December! I got out of my November San Diego work trip thank goodness. Vegas with Christina was fun. Her and her boyfriend had just broken up, so she was a little sad, but we had a great time. Mostly just lounging by the pool and eating. The Lady Gaga concert was something I'll never forget. TEARS streaming down my face. If you ever have the chance to see her, please do.

We ended up spending a lot, which I felt weird about because I know Christina is struggling with money. But I was never the one to suggest things, it was always her, so I guess it just comes down to choices she makes. I don't ask a lot about finances, because I think it's too personal, but I know she came out of her divorce with a ton of debt (her ex-husband was secretly embezzling money and doing all kinds of illegal stuff that she's now tied to financially - he's currently disappeared and "on the run" - I mean!!!!), school loan debt and she now struggles hard with medical out-of-pocket that piles up in January/February that she has to make payments on for the rest of the year. And now the IRS is coming after her for money she took our of her 401K for her then-husband who also claimed it on HIS taxes a few years ago. Ugh.

Anyway, in addition to staying at a nice hotel and paying $$ for Lady Gaga tickets, we sipped on a lot of $20 drinks poolside, got fancy champagne cocktails at the Chandelier Bar and went to the spa. I only do spa stuff like once every 5 years, but she insisted on getting a few services for herself so I did too (it was LOVELY). And she picked the restaurant we ate at the last night where we each spent $100+ without batting an eye. So all that to say, it was a great time, but I'm going to ask her to Venmo me a bunch of money that I'm not sure she has. 

Run
  • 11m 11s
  • 1.01 miles
  • 11m 04s /Mi

Last run on the Strip for hopefully a long time. Ready to be home!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 20m

Airport walking

Run
  • 11m 03s
  • 1.09 miles
  • 10m 08s /Mi

Vegas strip again.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m