Sport
  • Walking
  • 2h 00m

Another 10+ mile day

I really wanted to experience changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, and I had researched the best places to post up to see things. One of the great articles I read said to just hang out on the "mall" road that leads to the palace - you won't get to see the physical changing of the guards (that actually happens BEHIND palace gates and hardly anyone can see it happen) but you'll get to see the procession and parade. This was GREAT advice as I didn't really want to be in the middle of the 1000s of people right by the gates. 

Churchill War Rooms was close by, so I decided to walk over there as I've heard it's cool. It was pretty neat, but I'm just not a huge museum person. It worked out well though, because they had a self-guided audio tour and you could just hit the highlights and go as fast or slow as you wanted. 

Then I decided to do Kensington Palace to continue my a Royal themed day - it was again self guided so great for me to breeze through at my own pace. Learned a lot about Queen Victoria.

Tower of London was next on my list and I didn't realize what a huge place this was. There wasn't a lot of guiding, you just wandered around the different areas. The biggest thing I wanted to see was the Crown Jewels, so I headed there first. They didn't allow photos, and you had to stand on a moving walkway to see them, but it was still cool.

I was pretty pooped at this point, but having bought the London Pass I was determined to get my money's worth LOL! Since I was right next to Tower Bridge, I popped over there to go up into the structure at the top, which was fun to see views of the city at night.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 2h 00m

Walked 10+ miles per my Garmin.

Today was the day I had a ticket for the London Eye, so I decided to do that first. It was pretty neat. After that, I looked at the London Pass app (I had purchased a 3-day pass) to see what was close by, and decided to hop on a River Thames boat tour. I sat in the open air section on the top so I could see better - and it was cool! I only took it one way, because I saw that stop was close to The Shard and I wanted to do that.

Went to the top of The Shard (70-something floors), which was neat and had great views of the city. Then I finally grabbed some food and roamed around Borough Market before heading back to the hotel. On the way back I stopped in a department store that seemed popular - Primark? It was like a way better version of H&M. I had very limited room to bring back extra stuff (carry on only) but I did buy a black wool coat, a work top and work skirt. The coat was only 20 pounds ($26!) and I have been meaning to get a black coat this winter. It's PERFECT. For dinner that night I walked to Chinatown and ate some fantastic Pad Thai. 

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Overnight flight from Toronto to London wasn't bad at all. My knees started hurting for some reason, so had to stand up a few times. And props to Air Canada - I must have checked "gluten free" when I was buying my ticket because I was specifically given special gluten free meals and snacks! I was so impressed!

I decided NOT to do the Heathrow Express train because I didn't realize it was so expensive. It's much faster and a NICE train, but since I hadn't bought the fare in advance it was going to be 25 pounds each way, as opposed to 5-ish on the regular Tube. So I did the regular Tube and didn't have to transfer lines, so that was easy.

Was able to check into the hotel almost right when I got there (10:30 a.m.) so that was great. Took a couple hours nap then got ready for the food tour! Food tour was AMAZING. Five restaurants with a great, enthusiastic guide and four other Americans. The food was both eclectic (tacos, dim sum) and traditional (meat pie) - with cocktails included. Was happy and full at the end.

I ended up hanging out with two of the gals from the tour afterwards - we split a bottle of wine then they invited me to a meet up with one of their co-workers (they work for Visa) who was celebrating his birthday. We hopped in a black cab and went to this SUPER SWANKY bar where we were all woefully under dressed. But no one seems to care much there. We met up with the friend and chatted with a few of his friends for awhile, then everyone was dispersing so I walked back to the hotel. Wonderful start to the trip.

Partial travel day to London.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 09m

Here's a dose of cuteness for ya - after two failed attempts, on my third try I finally found Christmas pajamas that fit Ellie Mae. One pair was too short for her long body (by far), and one pair was too long and too big, even though I had measured her before purchasing online. These are from Target and they have a ton of super cute options. I almost couldn't pick. I can't get over how cute she is in these!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 06m

Same as yesterday - just taking a little break.

Having a kind of funny but hot mess type of day. This morning, I went to take the lid off a can of hair spray that has been under my sink for awhile. Apparently it had leaked out the top (?) and liquid, sticky hairspray that had collected in the cap flew everywhere. On me, on the floor, on my sweater. Was running too late to go and change, hoping it would dry clear, but I have splotchy hair spray on me all day. Then, I spilled coffee all over some papers at a work event first thing this morning - always a great start. Then at Target over lunch, I was trying to use a $15 off $75 purchase coupon and it wouldn't be accepted by the computer. An associate spent literally 10 minutes reading off the fine print trying to determine what I had purchased that would void the coupon (no Disney, Barbie, Playstation, GoPro, etc.) but I was clean! After telling me he didn't know why I couldn't use the coupon and shrugging his shoulders, he read the date and it's not good until TOMORROW. Are you kidding me?! I felt a little bad about voicing my annoyance at the associate, but he was absolutely not pleasant or helpful either, so I guess it goes both ways. Happy holidays! LOL

Sport
  • Walking
  • 06m

Only a super short dog walk today. Total laziness for once.

Stopped myself from getting an Instant Pot on this Cyber Monday - it's super on sale through our company points website. But I realized that I don't really ever wish I had one for cooking stuff from frozen - and I really love the process of cooking on a stove top. I did try to get a Ring Doorbell on that site but they were sold out by the time I tried to add to cart. The only thing I did buy (not on the company site) was 2 bottles of a new makeup foundation I'm in love with - Crunchi brand. It's "safer" with no harsh chemicals and actually looks great. On sale for $33 instead of $48 today. That's it! 

lisac957's Training Log

December 2019 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time
Distance
  • February's totals
  • January's totals