Run
  • 13m 26s
  • 1.06 miles
  • 12m 41s /Mi

9:08 p.m. run for pete's sake I did not want to do this! BUT I am committed to this run streak, so there you go.
Long day. Started with taking Ellie Mae to the vet for a dental super early, then an all day work summit plus dinner until 8 p.m. Luckily I was able to go and get Ellie Mae discharged before the dinner but it was a pain in the ass to have to then drive across town during rush hour for a super boring work dinner. I almost didn't even go, but I knew better. Also proud of myself for not drinking - that's part of what made the dinner fairly boring - but I'm in a "not drinking right now" phase because it's just not doing me any favors. It's been a month since I had a drink and I'm happy with the experiment and how I feel as a result.
Poor Ellie Mae was given anti-anxiety meds because she was such a hot mess after her (successful! no extractions or complications!) teeth cleaning. She was so out of it when I picked her up it was kind of sad/kind of funny. But I did get them to fill a prescription for it so I can potentially take her on a road trip at Christmas time and she won't be a hot mess for 5 hours in the car.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 18m

Also did not want to do this, but walked on my home treadmill because I'm still trying to get in 30 minutes of movement every day in addition to the run streak.

Run
  • 11m 17s
  • 1.01 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi
Sport #1
  • Walking
  • 10m
Sport #2
  • Yoga
  • 12m

Friday afternoon, my boss asked me if I would consider moving into a recently-opened role - it would be a lateral move. My immediate reaction was no, and when asked why, I said because it wouldn't be as exciting of work or as much exposure to senior leaders. This is the role of the guy who was told another role was "absorbing" into his and he hasn't been happy for a long time - but especially since that happened.

She then asked me if it would make a difference if by doing this, I would be seen as more versatile and better positioned for a Director role. And my answer changed - of course I want that.

I had a long talk with my Dad yesterday, all though I kind of already knew how I felt. My Dad is so smart and so good at asking the right questions. I decided that I would express my interest after clarifying the scope of the role, with the intention that it would set me up for the future. I'd see it as a "challenge" to do well in a role that's quite frankly, challenging, but would absolutely be a stepping stone. My boss mentioned that her timeline for moving on/retiring is 2-3 years, and that would be my opportunity to move up.

So, we'll see. Everyone here is hyper focused on how the team is changing and what's in it for them personally, or how they're being overlooked. It's exhausting. We also had our graphic designer resign today. So the tally on our larger team is: 3 internal, 1 external, 1 digital = 5 people have all left in the last three months.

Run
  • 2h 06m 35s
  • 10.01 miles
  • 12m 39s /Mi

So relieved I got this done.
We had a cool front move through so the high temps were in the 70s today (!). Knowing that, I didn’t feel I had to get started in the morning, and it was so nice. I enjoyed the first half of this run a bunch. I normally turn around at the 4-mile mark because the river walk boardwalk ends, but I needed another mile. The road went straight uphill in both directions so i picked one. LOL on me, it was a solid mile uphill (see elevation graph below) and I had to walk more than I intended.
I was also rationing water with the excuse that I wouldn’t need as much with temps 15 degrees cooler. WRONG. When I got to the only water fountain at mile 8, I ate a gel and literally chugged a bottle and a half of water. Jeez I guess I needed that. The last 2 miles I was on and off the struggle bus, but thankful I was able to get in a double digit run.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 10m

Ellie Mae

Bike
  • 3h 26m 37s
  • 55.21 miles
  • 16.03 Mi/hr

Solo ride on the Silver Comet Trail. The Tri club ride was actually out there today, but I just wanted to wake up naturally and not have a rushed morning. It was so nice. Had a solid headache for the first half, and the first 15 miles were crowded. But at my turn around, I was so grateful that I didn’t see a soul. I stopped and had a moment with the universe, and a prayer, and felt so peaceful. An uneventful, really nice ride.

Run
  • 11m 46s
  • 1.02 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Brick run. My right knee was feeling weird so just did a mile.

Bike
  • 55m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

Spin class at work, all though Shana was not teaching. This was boring but OK. The instructor kept yelling "PROPER BREATHING" but never elaborated.

Run
  • 11m 28s
  • 1.01 miles
  • 11m 21s /Mi

After spin class.

Swim
  • 46m 17s
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 01m 51s /100 yards

Good swim! Mind was 100% preoccupied with a work situation I’ve been asked to consider. More next week after I can process.

Question of the day: Do I book a trip to Paris for my birthday next year? Flight deal for nonstop on Delta - $508 round trip. 

Bike
  • 2h 00m
  • 31.49 miles
  • 15.74 Mi/hr

Trainer

Run
  • 12m 43s
  • 1.02 miles
  • 12m 28s /Mi

After logging off of work. Took Ellie Mae, even though it was still 93 degrees. She did OK. Can't wait for fall weather.

Have you ever had to 'break up' with a brand you loved? Yesterday, I had to 'break up' with the Whole30 brand, which you may know I adore and follow their food philosophy after doing four rounds over the years. Their founder has always been outspoken and grounded in her beliefs - and I admire her for overcoming drug addiction, sexual assault, divorce, etc. and she's been a source of motivation for me in the past. I even saw her speak in person in Atlanta a few years ago.

But one of the things she's big on is crystals and the power of crystals. She stories about them on her personal Instagram account, along with other personal things like weight lifting, yoga, hiking and talking about her hair extensions, botox and tattoo removal. Personal stuff, which is why it never bothered me that she mixed in crystals on her personal account. But recently, she hosted a podcast with someone who went into extensive detail about how she uses crystals as a tool for personal growth with her clients - it's her personal podcast that tackles non-Whole30 issues. Then I got an email from Whole30 with the subject line "Crystals" promoting the podcast. And then they started promoting it on all their official brand social media channels, which is when I couldn't take it anymore. 

On the Instagram post where they promoted it, I was one of many who made comments - mine was about how this felt inappropriate for a brand account. Melissa (founder of Whole30) personally responded to my comment with something salty about how the Whole30 was promoting HER podcast, HER being the founder of Whole30 and that was entirely appropriate. OK, well then, I'm out. They would never consider promoting the powers of a Bhudda statue and Bhuddism, would they? They would never consider promoting christian communion and how it cleanses your sins, would they? No, because they're based on religion and belief in something supernatural. And it completely alienates your customers with differing belief systems to hear the founder of a brand push and preach something you 100% don't believe in - from the company account. It has nothing to do with the brand or the company, but yet here they are latching on to it and connecting it to their brand. Again, I can get past someone posting from a personal account, but I just can't with it coming from a company brand account. As someone else commented on the IG account... "And here's where I get off the bus."

Run
  • 1h 05m 02s
  • 5.66 miles
  • 11m 29s /Mi

It's been awhile since I did such a hefty lunchtime run. Felt good on the treadmill today, probably because I was inside with no hills, ha! I do love freeing up my evenings - big plans to make a potato/kielbasa soup tonight. I KNOW! I'm one of those crazy people who makes soups in the blazing heat of summer. Soup is so good and so cheap though.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 08m

Ellie Mae

Feeling mildly guilty about deciding to (probably) not go home for Thanksgiving this year. I've got a bunch of travel, both work and personal, coming up and honestly don't want to pay $400 to go home for 48 hours - especially when we'll all see each other a month later at Christmas. Here's what I've got coming up:

• Augusta 70.3/Charleston (Sept 28 - Oct. 2)
  • Vegas work trip (Oct. 13 - 17)
  • Vegas personal trip (Oct. 19 - 22)
  • San Diego work trip (Nov. 6 - 8)
  • London personal trip (Dec. 5 - 10)

I've already paid for dog sitting for the first trip, but I just saw that my (new) gal upped her rate from $35 to $40 per night. So the remaining travel is going to cost me $560 + Rover fees. (I love my dog, I love my dog, I love my dog).

I'd honestly really like to run the Thanksgiving Day half marathon here in Atlanta. My sister and fam are considering coming here just to do something different, so maybe finding a restaurant open on Thanksgiving? Or if they don't come here, honestly just make a really nice dinner for myself or head to a friend's dinner (I've already been invited to a big solo-people-friendsgiving dinner by Jon).  I'm not the type of person to get bent out of shape about family traditions, but it's hard for my mom and grandma. 

lisac957's Training Log

August 2019 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • Ironman Augusta 70.3 (Triathlon)
    9/29/2019 Augusta, Georgia