Run
  • 1h 28m 34s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 06m 46s /Mi

Blue Moon Half Marathon
13th overall runner
10th overall male
4th in 35-39

Finally!! A good race after a huge string of disappointing results. I felt great for the entire race...it took a while to get comfortable though, the first three miles I was still very nervous about how I'd feel later in the race. But by Mile 8 when I still felt good and then Mile 10 when I actually felt like I could go faster...that made me smile!

FINALLY A SUB 1:30 HALF!!!

What amazed me was that I was 13th overall...10 of those were men...and 4 of those 10 men were in MY AGE GROUP!! Sheesh...it was fast out there today. I'm still all kinds of thrilled though...a great PR, a decent result, and I finally figured out my nutrition problem! YAY!!

Lap Data
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR
1 06m 30s 1.00 miles 06m 30s /mile
2 06m 45s 1.00 miles 06m 45s /mile
3 06m 52s 1.00 miles 06m 52s /mile
4 06m 54s 1.00 miles 06m 54s /mile
5 06m 48s 1.00 miles 06m 48s /mile
6 06m 48s 1.00 miles 06m 48s /mile
7 06m 45s 1.00 miles 06m 45s /mile
8 06m 47s 1.00 miles 06m 47s /mile
9 06m 43s 1.00 miles 06m 43s /mile
10 06m 47s 1.00 miles 06m 47s /mile
11 06m 44s 1.00 miles 06m 44s /mile
12 06m 45s 1.00 miles 06m 45s /mile
13 06m 43s 1.00 miles 06m 43s /mile
14 00m 43s 0.11 miles 06m 49s /mile

1315 - Feeling good about my race today for a bunch of reasons. 

Number 1...I have been sick for the past few days...praying that I'd just be able to get thru the race before it really set in.  I think now it may take over since after a race I'm usually a little bit immune reduced.  Racing "injures" your body so your body tries to repair itself, kind of as if you were sick.  Having a sore throat, body aches, and some fatigue for a few days doesn't help.

Number 2...nutrition is finally in order again.  I should have realized it was the e-gel a while ago, but it took me three more races to get it through my head.

Number 3...I think I may be a Newton runner again.  I went back to the Newtons and I ran fast again.  I guess I need to give the next road race a try with the Spiras and the Powergel, but it seems to me the Newtons just give me more power.  I can feel my hamstrings have worked hard, something that I never felt with the Spiras.  It was always in the calves.  I think I'd rather have the tight hamstrings for a couple days than the painful calf cramps.

Number 4...the big PR.  I was afraid I was incapable of PRing anything else long this year.  Sure I had a nice 15K PR, but the last time I ran one was before CrossFit came into my life, and it was a trail 15K.  I'd PR'd some shorter races this year, but I have been slower in all of my long distance runs so far.  Looks like I'm slowly coming back.

Number 5...no music.  I think from now on I will not race with music...I need to concentrate on how I'm breathing.  With music, I tend to surge too much.  Not anymore...I'll pay more attention to pacing from now on.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 5

2200 - Today was a good day.  I tracked my friends during their Iron day...I went to Disney with the boys...and I had a bunch to drink (maybe not the best idea before a race day, but oh well...I do this stuff for fun and if I can't have fun before, during, and after, it's not worth it) so here goes nothing! 
               Stuff I will do differently on race day this time...
1.  Powergel instead of e-gel
2.  No pre-race supplements, other than some caffeine (in the pre-race powergel) and a multivitamin.
3.  No mid-race supplements other than salt pills.
4.  No music (I think it distracts me from concentrating on my breathing and pacing)
5.  Newtons instead of Spiras (all of my best races were run last year in Newtons...maybe I was too quick to switch out of them??)
6.  Always make sure I take water within 2 minutes of eating a powergel, to dilute the amount of nutrition entering my system

Hopefully these things will help me overcome the problems I've been having this season.  I'm really disappointed in myself that it took so long to realize that the problems I've been having have been all about my stomach locking up.  If everything goes well tomorrow, I'll know it was the e-gel, if it doesn't...it's my stomach, and THAT is a problem...then I need a doctor visit...which will suck since I have no health insurance. 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9.5

2330 - I made today a rest day.  Motivation was an issue.  I was gonna run before boot camp but I just didn't feel it.  It was only a mile, so I figured, what the hell...skip it.

1530 - Thinking alot about my military friends right now.  All of them.  BTers and non-BTers.  I have a bunch of friends in most branches (I don't know anyone in the Navy) of the Service.  I have ALOT of friends who are Police Officers and Firefighters too...so I'm thinking of all my friends in dangerous job situations (although, after seeing that the shooting in Orlando was in an engineering office, maybe I'M in a dangerous job too).  Seriously though...I have HUGE AMOUNTS of respect for my military friends.  I have been doing a lot of praying--yes people, I pray--for their safety. 

0735 - Another good night's sleep.  I seem to go in cycles.  I'll sleep really well for a while and then have a period of crappy sleep.
               Tonight's workout will be a short one.  Just a one mile run.  My legs are feelin' good and hopefully will be all set for a good run on Sunday.  Definitely feeling better than after MCM and I've got the old nutrition plan ready to be put back into action so I hope this works!  Much less calf and back soreness today than yesterday (which was probably from the massage on Wednesday night).  Lots of hydrating today and tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8
Run
  • 12m 58s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 06m 29s /Mi

CrossFit run splits.
1:35
1:37
1:36
1:39 (6:29 mile)
1:38
1:37
1:35 (don't know where that came from!)
1:39 (couldn't hold the negative splits!) (6:29 mile)

Well at least I even split both miles. Didn't expect that!

Sport
  • Crossfit
  • 18m 56s

Another Q-created CF workout!
Run 400m x 8
In between runs, do 10-8-6-4-4-6-8-10 rep rounds of:
Burpees
Situps
Then after last round, do 100 jumpropes.

Total time - 18:56

Burpees on grass...wow...

1655 - Bri and I are gonna go running on Bayshore tonight.  He has to do 3 miles and I only have to do 2, so since I had to do CF today, I'm gonna incorporate it into my run and we should be done at the same time.  Bri will run with the dog so I'll have plenty of time.
       My workout shall be...
         Run 400m x 8 
         In between runs, do 10-8-6-4-4-6-8-10 rep rounds of:
         Burpees
         Situps
         After last set, do 100 jumpropes.

That should take about 30 minutes or so...plenty of time for Bri to complete his run and get the dog back into the car.  Then we can go have naughty food.  I am in the mood for Cappy's pizza, and I'm gonna have it.

0740 - I didn't sleep as much as I wanted to last night, but I did sleep well.  I am very thirsty today...which means I definitely need to drink a lot of water over the course of the day.  I really sweated out a lot of toxins during Yoga last night, but I also dehydrated myself...which is probably why I almost passed out from what felt like heat exhaustion during class.  I drank over a half gallon of water over the 90 minutes I was in there.
               Today's workouts are simple...CrossFit and a 2 mile run.  CF will be short and sweet...maybe Fran or Elizabeth.  I'll do my 2 mile run on Bayshore like last night.  I want to do well at Blue Moon on Sunday so no extra pushes today or tomorrow.  Saturday I'll do NO workouts...of course I'll be on my feet all day at Epcot, but no problem with that.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 14m 32s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 07m 16s /Mi

Part 2 of my crazy night was a quick run on Bayshore in between CrossFit and Yoga. Nothing special, just up a mile and back a mile.

Sport #1
  • Crossfit
  • 11m 53s

The first part of my long bunch of workouts...

50 situps
Then...
5 rounds of:
5 burpee cleans, 75#
4 overhead squats, 75#
3 split jerks, 75#
2 hang power snatch, 75#
1 shuttle run
Then...
50 pushups

Total time - 11:53
I think this was like 2 seconds slower than last time I did this workout. Oh well.

Yoga...holy hell was it hot in there tonight. Hotter than last time. And the room was fuller too, so there was more body heat as well. OUCH. I almost passed out about an hour and 15 minutes in. During Half-Tortoise. Rabbit was hard tonight cuz I just had nothing left after Half-Tortoise. Almost did a toe stand tonight though. Proud of that. Still can't get into Eagle. Arms too big.

Massage was part FOUR of my string of workouts...and lemme tell ya, it was a workout. I had a deep tissue massage on my shoulders and back...firm on the legs...but holy hell...my traps are gonna be SORE tomorrow.

Sport #2
  • Massage
  • 50m

50 situps
Then...
5 rounds of:
5 burpee cleans, 75#
4 overhead squats, 75#
3 split jerks, 75#
2 hang power snatch, 75#
1 shuttle run
Then...
50 pushups

I think this was like 2 seconds slower than last time I did this workout. Oh well.

Yoga...holy hell was it hot in there tonight. Hotter than last time. And the room was fuller too, so there was more body heat as well. OUCH. I almost passed out about an hour and 15 minutes in. During Half-Tortoise. Rabbit was hard tonight cuz I just had nothing left after Half-Tortoise. Almost did a toe stand tonight though. Proud of that. Still can't get into Eagle. Arms too big.

Massage was part FOUR of my string of workouts...and lemme tell ya, it was a workout. I had a deep tissue massage on my shoulders and back...firm on the legs...but holy hell...my traps are gonna be SORE tomorrow.

Sport #3
  • Yoga
  • 1h 30m

50 situps
Then...
5 rounds of:
5 burpee cleans, 75#
4 overhead squats, 75#
3 split jerks, 75#
2 hang power snatch, 75#
1 shuttle run
Then...
50 pushups

Clean bathroom
Clean kitchen
Cat litter boxes
Laundry
Pay bills
Race registrations
Clothing dropoff
Wash car
Debbie L's nutrition plan
Dog park
Nap
CrossFit
Run
Yoga
Massage

2225 - Well I got ALMOST everything done.  I'll finish up the rest tomorrow.  At least my chore list doesn't look so bad now.  Back to work tomorrow morning!

0820 - Taking a mental day today.  Called out of work, still not feeling 100%.  I figure I just need to get things done here and rest (yeah like that will happen) and at least my brain will be in it again.  If I can quit being overwhelmed by my to-do list, maybe my body will follow.

Yoga tonight...so that should help as well...and I may go get myself a massage too.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 23m 46s
  • 3.22 miles
  • 07m 23s /Mi

Bridget, Shaun, and I went to the Four Green Fields run tonight. It was fun. We started in the back and I ran about a mile with Bridgie before I took off and tried to catch as many people as I could. It was fun. We went for Tijuana Flats after we were done. YUM!

Sport
  • Crossfit
  • 17m 09s

I made up my own CF workout today. I needed a long one. So I decided on...
21 hang power snatches, 75#
21 pushups
21 situps
50 jumpropes
18 hang power snatches, 75#
18 pushups
18 situps
50 jumpropes
15 hang power snatches, 75#
15 pushups
15 situps
50 jumpropes
12 hang power snatches, 75#
12 pushups
12 situps
50 jumpropes
9 hang power snatches, 75#
9 pushups
9 situps
50 jumpropes
6 hang power snatches, 75#
6 pushups
6 situps
50 jumpropes
3 hang power snatches, 75#
3 pushups
3 situps
50 jumpropes

This was a fun workout. It wasn't too long but wasn't too easy either. I was pretty drenched when I was done.

Total time - 17:09

0800 - And so begins my first four-day week at Sprinkle.  It was odd yesterday not to be going to the gym to work.  I went to do a CF workout, but it was really nice passing by the training desk and not having to stop at it to bring up my schedule.
           I slept really well last night again, so I am nice and refreshed today.  My toe is still painful, but I can move it, bend it, etc. so I don't think it's broken.  Must have just jammed it a bit. 
           Gonna go to Four Green Fields after work tonight, there's a running group that meets there on Tuesdays...they usually do 5K to 5Mi...depending on the day I guess.  So I'm gonna go check that out with Bridgie and then have a beer or two afterwards.  Yay beer!
           I can't wait til Yoga tomorrow...I wish it was tonight...I really need to stretch!

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 4
Run #1
  • 15m 54s
  • 2.02 miles
  • 07m 52s /Mi

First two miles on my own, before boot camp.

Run #2
  • 08m 10s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 08m 10s /Mi

One mile with the campers.

Sport
  • Crossfit
  • 16m 10s

5 rounds of:
95# snatch (3 reps)
95# overhead squat (5 reps)
55# DB swing (7 reps)
Pushups (9 reps)
Run 400m

This was tough! By round 3, the overhead squats were really difficult to do correctly. I did the whole workout in my Vibrams, as usual, so the runs were a challenge...I think I might have messed up a toe. I ran in shoes after the workout and I was fine...so...hmmmm. Guess we'll see tomorrow!

1020 - Awake and feelin' much better today!!  Time to get back at it.  Bri and I had a nice breakfast with Shaun and Kelly this morning.  I will run today, probably in the afternoon.  I also have a bunch of marketing/advertising to do...so I can build up my boot camps!  New signs, flyers, business cards, etc.  Gonna try and run 4 miles every day this week except Saturday.  Gonna do Yoga again too...and I think I'll get a massage sometime later in the week too.  I am determined to have a good race on Sunday.  I'm over having bad races.  I have thrown up and bonked in my last three races...it needs to stop!  No more e-gel.  I hate to think of what else might be wrong if it happens on Sunday again...in which case I would be back to square one on figuring out the problem.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 5 Overall Workout: 4

DivergentQ's Training Log

November 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • June's totals