13 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? Man I'm tired this morning. I got home late from Wynn and Teresa's last night but I had a great time on the ride. I am taking the day off from training and it will be a rest day sort of, I need to catch up on all my chores that did not get done this weekend. I will be doing that this evening instead.

The taper has begun and is in full effect LOL! Damn, 13 more days! I'm excited, nervous and boderline scared if that is possible. Really it's all good, I just keep telling myself I'm ready and I can do it.

One thing that Derrick mentioned to me on the long ride yesterday as we discussed my upcoming IM is that I should not underestimate myself. That really stuck with me, I guess I have been selling myself short. He's not the first person to say that but I guess it hit home yesterday. I can do this.

No workout this evening I instead caught up with my chores that I did not get to do yesterday. I also got Luna out for a few walks today. I hardly saw her at all yesterday and she didn't get walked yesterday so I wanted to make sure she got a few in today. Other than that I didn't do much. Not trying to think about Wisconsin.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6
Bike
  • 5h 40m 45s
  • 100.43 miles
  • 17.68 Mi/hr

xx degrees xx humidity xx mph wind
17.6 avg speed 27.2 max speed
90 avg cadence 125 max cadence

Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 2.03 miles
  • 10m 55s /Mi

xx degrees xx humidity xx mph wind

14 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning but am up early this morning. Doing my last century ride and run before IMWI. We'll be doing Wynn's North Fork protest group ride out to Orient Point. Looks like nice weather should be a good way to wind down my training for Ironman.

The ride was great today. We had awesome weather and the scenery out on the ride to Orient Point and back is just awesome. But holy crap the group was flying today. Wynn gave us the pre ride pep talk and it was going to be an easy paced ride. It didn't turn out that way the group was flying. I had to ride well above my planned IM pace to keep up. They had the draft going and this was a strong group of riders.

I think we started with 16, Ian and Joan were riding a tandem which was pretty amazing. Derrick only went part way and wound up doing 70 all total. Bobby had enough after 75 miles. I was surprised that he decided to do the full 100 and he was riding upfront and looking good for a good portion of the ride. Glad he is alright though.

I had a hard time keeping up but it was a good ride for me, no slacking when we were riding hard. We stopped alot, I think total time was just over 7 hours but riding time for me was 5:40. I was pretty tired at the end of the ride and got dropped at the end but I knew my way back to Wynn's so I was glad I didn't hold them up.

I also got a 2 mile run in following the ride and it was a good run. I ran faster than I should have been running. I think the first mile was a 10:41 which was way too fast. I should have been well over 11 minutes. It was good to know that I could run after a good hard ride on the bike.

That's it, I'm done. No more fitness to be gained, it's time to rest. The taper has begun! Now the hard part waiting for the next 13 days for the big day.

• Calories out: 7246 From lifestyle:2363, From activities:4883
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 4
Bike
  • 1h 08m 33s
  • 19.41 miles
  • 16.99 Mi/hr

70 degrees 59 humdity 6 mph wind
17.0 avg speed 21.7 max speed
85 avg cadence 103 max cadence

Run
  • 53m 48s
  • 5.12 miles
  • 10m 30s /Mi

74 degrees 55 humidty 6 mph wind

15 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? Not bad a little tired this morning but overall feeling alright. My left arm is feeling better as well. It was sore yesterday and swimming for two hours didn't help that but I did not sleep on it last night so it's feeling better. I will be heading out for a quick hour ride this morning and follow it up with a quick hour run and that will be it for today. Tomorrow I am riding with a bigger group with Wynn for his North Fork protest ride so that will be my last century before IMWI. I think we are looking at about 102 miles for that. I will run off the bike probably 3 miles so should do it and that's it.

The taper begins on Sunday afternoon after the ride and run. I've would have done all that I could possibly have done to get ready for this. The gas is in the tank, the hay is in th barn and all I can do is wait and hope that I did enough so I can finish my first Ironman. I really don't want to think about it.

I got a solid bike/run brick workout this morning. Did a little over an hour on the bike this morning. It was beautiful out but very windy especially down by the bay and marina. It was a nice ride though and I followed it up with a solid 5 mile run. I got one more big workout left tomorrow, 102 mile bike ride and a 2 to 3 mile run and then I'm done! What time is it? Taper time!

• Calories out: 4028 From lifestyle:2502, From activities:1526
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • 1h 58m 49s
  • 4000.00 meters
  • 02m 58s /100 meters

Indoor Pool
4 x 1000 Free

16 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning and have been all week. My left arm is sore as well I think I slept on it the wrong way last night or something. I am planning to swim at the pool today so I hope it's feeling better later on. I want to do a really long swim session this evening to make up for yesterday.

I'm getting close with only 16 days to go and I am trying not to think about race day. I am trying to focus on my training this week and then next week I'll start working on my logistics for the the race. The taper begins on Monday and I will start getting mentally prepared for the race as well. I don't want to dwell on it because I don't want to worry about things I have no control over. I want to go into this race feeling calm and relaxed. I just keep telling myself I'm ready and I can do it.

I went to the pool today and did another 2 hour 4000m swim. It was good for the confidence and all. I swam slowly and didn't try and rush at all. I just want to make sure I can do the distance so it was all about endurance. I was just trying to be calm and relaxed, being one with the water so to speak. I still have alot of work to do on my swimming. Last year I sucked, this year I'm just bad. Next season I want to be at least average. Not much I can do about it now it will have to carry me through my Ironman.

• Calories out: 3443 From lifestyle:2508, From activities:934
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 2h 00m 26s
  • 35.45 miles
  • 17.66 Mi/hr

Indoor on the trainer
17.7 avg speed 19.1 max speed
76 avg cadence 82 max cadence

17 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired as usual. Today I am planning to swim not sure if it will be at the lake though. It's been pouring already and we are getting T-storms here and they are forecasting more for this evening. If that is the case I'll be swimming at the pool and/or doing some biking on the trainer.

I didn't make it out to the lake for the swim. Wynn and Teresa were going to swim and the weather sort of cleared so I could have swam but I got caught up with some work. I also had to get my daughter and I needed to walk Luna so I decided to get a workout in on the bike instead. This was much better than the swim and the run this week. No issues for me with this workout. I put it in a big gear and rode for 2 hours so I got in a good solid workout tonight

I'll head to the pool tomorrow evening. I will try and do a long workout maybe another 4000 meter swim. We'll see.

• Calories out: 4136 From lifestyle:2510, From activities:1625
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 2h 29m 41s
  • 13.04 miles
  • 11m 28s /Mi

79 degrees 60% humidity 6 mph wind

18 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired this morning and I've been tired all week so far. I've been getting sleep though which is a good thing. Today is supposed to be hot out so I will do my long run this evening. I'm not sure on the time or distance. I was thinking something in the order of 12 to 15 miles today. It'll be a very easy run this evening.

I did run this evening and it was pretty humid out but not terribly hot and there was a decent breeze. I want to say that I had a terrible run but that was entirely true. I think this run was tough. I'm not sure if it was the humidity or me just being tired from all the training especially the 19 plus hour week last week.

The run started out badly for me I just felt like I didn't have anything in the tank tonight and it was like that for the first 5 miles. I ate a nutri grain bar and had a GU after that and I felt a little better but I just felt like I was running in slow motion. I considered calling it quits after each 2.5 mile loop. I knew I wouldn't do that but I wanted to. My whole principle for training has been not to quit on any workout regardless of how bad it is going unless it is going to result in death or permanent injury. That was not the case tonight so I forged on and I just kept telling myself if I can't get it done in training I can't expect to finish an Ironman.

Things actually got better after 10 miles. I actually ran with a lot more conviction and I felt a little bit better about the run overall. I just don't know why it was so tough tonight. My swim wasn't very good on Tuesday and my run wasn't very good tonight. I am going to swim tomorrow and I hope it's better than it was on Tuesday.

• Calories out: 4006 From lifestyle:2490, From activities:1515
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3
Swim
  • 43m 40s
  • 1754.00 meters
  • 02m 29s /100 meters

OWS at Wildwood Lake

19 days until IMWI

How do I feel today? I'm tired and a little sore but I got more sleep last night. I am hoping I can do some more of that over the next few weeks. Today I am hoping to swim at the lake with Wynn and Teresa but if not I will head over to the pool for a workout. Either way the plan is to get a swim in.

I got a swim in this evening at Wildwood Lake. I swam with Teresa this evening. It was really beautiful out there this evening, a great evening to swim. I didn't really swim that great tonight not that I ever swim great but I was just not happy with my swimming tonight. I can't be upset about it or let it get in my head though. Not much I can do about my swimming until the offseason arrives. For now the best thing I can do is stayed focused, relaxed and calm.

We are going to have a very nice group at Mont Tremblant. Wynn, Teresa, Bobby and Derrick all are going to be doing it. I'm very happy I signed up, I really didn't want to go through the training again next year but man it's gonna be so great doing it with this group it will be worth it.

• Calories out: 2934 From lifestyle:2544, From activities:390
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 9

strikyr's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance