Run
  • 1h 39m 25s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 35s /Mi

I finally tamed the hook! PR at this distance by over 11 mins and over 15 mins on this course. Was hoping for 1:45 so safe to say I'm estatic!

Was supposed to ride for 1 hour after but I milled around too long, caught a chill and didn't have the right clothes w/ me. I'm on cloud nine anyway so I'm gonna reward myself and savor the feeling and not feel guilty.

RR tomorrow :)

Week 22 in the books: 12:30.  Ended the "preseason" on high note. Ready to take on the "competitive season" with more confidence in this plan than ever.

Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 51.50 miles
  • 17.17 Mi/hr

WOW! So that's what it's like to be comfortable on the bike for 3 hours. I had no idea. Easy effort. Flat route for a change. Saving the hard effort for tomorrow.

I got lost, didn't care.
It rained, didn't care.
I have a race tomorrow, didn't..duh! I better get off soon :) VERY HAPPY w/ the fit after one ride!!

Sport
  • Inversion Table
  • 20m

includes 10 min stretch b4.

Trusting the weather man and trading the trainer for the roads Surprised Waiting for it to dry up then heading out to test the new fit. First I'll get to take the boys out for b'fast.

Sport
  • Inversion Table
  • 10m

What can I say it's habit forming :)

Don't be fooled by the pink squuare, it's really a rest day. Hard to call hanging upside down excercise. It seems to be helping tho, so I'll stay with it.

This is my last Friday rest day as the plan switches them to Mondays, after the big weekends. This is the first time I don't feel like I need it. Prolly the benefit of last week being so light. However, given my back and the race on Sunday (where, thanks to JK, I plan on going hard) I will take the rest.

Finally, it appears I've reduced the cholrine allergy by wearing a cap, rinsing thoroughly w/ Aveeno, using chlorine rinse shampoo and rinsing my nasal passages w/ saline solution.

Looks like with lots of flexability, work and perservence (and spending money) these things get worked out. Another IM lesson perhaps?

It's all good!

Have a great w/e everyone!

These are the types of things that make Llerandi as good a resource as he is a triathlete. Responding to a question on sandwhiches (R/B/R) he said, in part: "They are hard, really hard, but that's why not too many people do them. If they were easy, everyone would get the benefit and be as fast as you're going to be"   AWESOME!

I will do them all. And I will not walk at LP! 

Swim
  • 47m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • -----

wu: 600 - 300 free, 100 kick, 200 pull
ms: 1200 - 3 x 400 w/ 1:00 (hard, harder, harderer)
cd: 400 - 200 pull, 200 free

one of these days i may actually time myself.

The walk across Gotham is much more tolerable in 70 degrees. Batman is happy ;)

Should be nice on the track tonight as well.

Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 08m /Mi

Snuck in another quick session hanging upside down then met my friend on the track:

wu: 15 min jog loosening the back
is: sprint the straights, jog the turns
ms: 3 sets of
1 x 800m @ 166 HR w/ 200m rec
2 x 400m @ 166 HR w/ 100m rec
cd: 800 jog, 400 walk

fastest 800 - 3:19 AHR 168, max 171
fastest 400 - 1:27 AHR 176, MHR 184

We pushed it harder then the plan called for and actually raced the last 400 imagining the race finish on sunday. That was fun! Great weather to boot finally.

I'm really enouraged bc my back loosened up and was not factor. That is HUGE. The fast times (for me) are just a bonus.

Sport
  • Inversion Table
  • 20m

10 mins stretch - mostly hammi's then 10 more on the IT. No better but no worse.

Swim
  • 1h 22m
  • 3825.00 yards
  • -----

wu: 800 - 400 free, 200 kick, 200 pull
is: 400 - 8 x 50 (25 easy/25 hard) w/ :10 - oops I forgot this part
ms: 2000 - 4x thru (at race pace);
200 w/ :20
2 x 100 w/ :10
2 x 50 w/ :10
cd: 300 - 6 x 50 w/ :10

Tough, long swim. Wasn't quite at race pace but I had no issues with the back and didn't want to push too hard. See how it holds up today and on tonight's 1:20 trainer.

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 25.28 miles
  • 18.96 Mi/hr

10 more mins on the Inversion Table b4:

wu: 20 min spin
drills: 3 x 3' single leg
ms: IM Interval 11.2 miles Cool! 32:46, 20.51 mph AHR 144, max 148. NICE!
cd: 12 min spin, lots of stretching while on the bike.

Back felt good, garage door was open, U2 was jammin. A good ride.

Hoping the new fit helps akkeviate the back issue.

Sport
  • Inversion Table
  • 20m

Hanging upside down, like a bat, right out of bed is not my favorite thing but that's where I am right now :(

Unfortunatlely, if there is one thing I know, it's back pain. I'm sure this latest episode is one of my many herniated discs impinging a nerve. The nerve is inflamed, causing the muscles to spasm, resulting in pain. Normally it will subside in a few weeks. In the meantime, it's Advil to reduce the inflamation and the Inversion Table to elongate the spine in hopes of un-impinging the nerve. Gotta hope it doesn't get worse, deal with the pain and keep a good mental attitude. At this point it's just another bump in the road, I'll deal. Of course a shot of cortisone would do the trick. Any back office doc's available ;)

Bike
  • 1h 33m
  • 29.50 miles
  • 19.03 Mi/hr

wu; 10 min spin,
5 x 20" @110 rpm, 40" @ 90
2 min spin

ms: descending intervals
2 x 6.2 miles @ 143, 3' rec
5 miles @ 151, 4' rec
3.1 miles @ 160
cd: 7 min spin

picked a good ride to be fit correctly for, whew!

bang out a quick run tonight b4 Matt's first spring hoops game. Looking forward to just being a spectator!

Run
  • 48m 45s
  • 6.30 miles
  • 07m 44s /Mi

wu: 15 jog
ms: 30 min tempo run HR @ 160+
cd: 3 min jog

Back pain subsided during the day and I tho I was out of the woods but the first few steps it tightend. Most of this run was a struggle but I fought through and by the last mile I felt good. Hope it continues to improve.

more tidbits from my fit

my left leg puts out more power than my right  - 57/43, hmmm

I make "perfect" circles applying appropriate presssure thoroughout AND I incorporate my calves better than average. That, for me, is a very good thing :)

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 3060.00 yards
  • -----

wu: 600 - 2x (100 free, kick, pull)
ms: 1600 - 8x 200 w/ 20"
cd: 600 = 200 pull,free,pull

a week out of the pool did me good. I miss my morning swims! Got this done, bike is in the car, fit at 3 pm :)

back is so - so. Felt it at the start, it loosened during and I felt it walking to work. I'll take advil all day in hopes of feeling good for the fit.

Bike Fit - 2 hrs w/ Paul Levine at signaturecycles.com in NYC. Real nice guy, very thorough. As soon as he saw me on the bike he said my seat was too low. Got off and we talked for about 20 mins. Athletic backround, injuries, time doing tri's, goals etc.  Then he did a range of motion analysis and we went back to the bike. Started with a minor cleat adjustment. Then he raised the seat about 4 cm and raised the handlebars 2 spacers. Next he spread the aerobars further apart and finally adjusted the tilt upwards. All the while I was on and off the bike. I was definately too compact and hunched over likely causing the stitches I had been experiencing. That should all be fixed now.

He noticed something really unique about me. Evidently my back is "uneven".  When areo, my right side is much higher than my left. He even asked if I had scroliosis (sp?). I've had lower back issues (herniated disc) but have never been diagnosed w/ anything else. He lowered the spacer on my right aerobar but it just didn't feel right. Her said it did flatten my back but that being comfortable over the bars (steering) was more important. Nothing to worry about, I'm just unique :) He also said I have the biggest calves he's ever seen. I get that alot, told him it doesn't help w/ tri's and we moved on ;)

So, we made some significant adjustments, talked a lot about training in Harriman (he lives very near and rides there) and even more about LP. He was very encouraging, and seemed to think the changes combined with my training plan and local training grounds lend themselves well to a successful attempt at my first IM. At $375 it was more than  thought, and only time will if it was worth the investment but for now I have piece of mind that I'll be "dialed in". Looking forward to tomorrow's trainer session and even more to my next long ride at Harriman!

rollinbones' Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals