The following equipment is nearing replacement:
Bike
  • 4h 12m 51s
  • 65.08 miles
  • 15.44 Mi/hr

This wasn't the ride we had originally planned. Today, we planned to climb all 10 miles of Page Mill Rd with a goal of 70-75 miles round trip. I kept the pace pretty easy, since I knew the Page Mill Climb would put my HR up into z4 for quite a long time.

However, when I stopped at the bottom of PMR for the two of us to re-group, and to eat a Cliff Bar before heading up the hill, there was this "pop" sound, followed by Pssssssssss... Tim had yet ANOTHER flat tire. So, we took everything apart and realized that the entire side wall to his back tire was blown out. We stuck a new tube back into the tire, in hopes that it would at least get us back to Palo Alto - to Mike's Bikes, which was 4 miles away. Of course, Mike's didn't have a new tire to match the one that Tim had just bought for the front, so he ended up with something else, different brand and everything. Anyway, we changed the tire (again) and put in another fresh tube (since the old one was ridden with a punctured tire), and then rode back to Page Mill Road. This added probably an additional hour to overall outing. By then, we were both hungry, and didn't feel like we'd have the energy to climb PMR without some real food (not freakin' gels). At that point, we decided to shorten the trip and come home. No long climbs today, but there were plenty of shorter ones. This ride was probably in the 4,000 ft cummulative elevation range.

Swim
    • 45m
    • -----
    • -----

Just when I think I'm making some progress, I suddenly find myself hating swimming again. There's really this on-going internal monologue that I have with myself where I praise myself over various personal accomplishments, at other times my anal retentiveness threshold is crossed and so I am satisfied, and at other times I find myself outright loathing of this Goddamned sport. The thing I hate most about water is that I can't breathe whenever I want to. I never learned bilateral breathing, so this is presenting a new, and at times annoying challenge on the breathing front. But, whatever...

Strength
    • 1h 00m

• EXERCISE

Sets
      Min
      reps
      Max
      reps
      Min
      wt.(lb)
      Max
      wt.(lb)
    • BACK - Assisted Pullups
    • BACK - Bent-over BB row
    • BICEPS - Straight Bar Standing
    • CHEST - Dips
    • CHEST - Incline BB
    • LEGS - Straight leg deadlifts
    • SHOULDERS - Shoulder Press - Machine
    • TRICEPS - Skull crushers

Dips: Body weight + 15 lbs
    Goal: determine where I stood with respect to 15-rep max.

After finally finding a new pair of athletic shoes, I put the orthotics in and began walking around with them yesterday.  It is going to take a while for me to become accustomed to them as they are quite unlike anything I've ever walked on.  It will take a few weeks of progressively longer wearing time for everything to fall into place.  The physical therapist doesn't want me to run right now, nor does she want me to do calf raises at the gym.  The other day the PT started poking around in the bottom of my foot, and she made my foot hurt in places that I didn't know hurt.  The tendons down there were certainly inflammed.  In retrospect, all of the issues involving the inflammation from the bone spur in my foot came about shortly after I stopped weight training 3X per week.  Previously, I had always made it a point to work my calves 2 sets, 3x/week, in the 25 rep range and lower to moderate weight. 

Edit:  weights this afternoon, and LSD ride tomorrow (goal: 70 mile range.)

Bike
    • 1h 20m 27s
    • 17.41 miles
    • 12.98 Mi/hr

warm-up, climbed Kings Mtn Rd in 24T (4.33 mi, 1500 ft), c/d to car. Shit, it went from being summer to mid-december over night. It was sunny and warm with wind when I left my car and within 30 minutes or so, the fog rolled-in, the wind picked-up speed, and it was misting. I was not dressed for the occasion - neck and joints started to get too cold. Returned home for a warm meal, may finish ride this afternoon sometime.

Considering changing to 12-25 cassette.

Bike
    • 1h 43m 55s
    • 28.56 miles
    • 16.49 Mi/hr

To top of reservoir on Millbrae side and back, then down to BART station and back home for c/d.

Sport
    • Physical Therapy
    • 1h 30m

PT isn't a sport....heh!

Bike
      • 45m 15s
      • 14.00 miles
      • 18.56 Mi/hr

Trainer; goal was to keep HR in z2. 10 min w/u; 10 min c/d

I tried yesterday to be religious about keeping my HR in z2. Yeahhhh, uh, what a joke - too many hills around here to make that a reality.

Swim
      • 25m 28s
      • -----
      • -----

I keep thinking ahead to next year, and what - exactly - I'd like to train for.  This racing business is fine, but admittedly the thought of waking-up early for anything on a Saturday or Sunday morning seldom bodes well for me.  On weekends, I suppose I prefer to not have to be anywhere on time.  I've given a lot of thought to bike racing, and was considering focusing on TTing next year.  Good.  GOD!  After researching some training plans, I'm positive that I won't have t-h-a-t kind of time for training, especially from Jan - Apr. I'll be lucky if I can get some drainer rides in twice per week during that time frame (and I'll feel extra special if I can get out on the road on either Sat or Sun), and many of the TTs locally occur pretty early in the year, so I wouldn't be in shape for them.  But, really, a TT is more about me against the clock, so it is and it isn't a race. It's not like you're out there racing in a peloton or anything.

The hill climb TT that I rode a couple months ago was pretty cool.  Obviously, I did it for the experience and to see if I liked it - certainly I was far from being a *contender.*  Overall, I thought folks at the TT were supportive and friendly, but many people seemed to inhabit this mentally isolated space before the race and no one seemed to talk much, but everyone seemed to be into their little cycling outfits.    

BTW, what the hell is up with the bay area?  This is supposed to be a fitness mecca, but most of the races that occur in this part of the state are at least 1 - 1.5 hours away, sometimes more, requiring one to travel and stay over night in a motel.  That is a huge turn off for me.   Oh, and what the same hell is going on with the TTs in this area?  Locally, the TTs are really long, unlike some of the TTs I've seen other BTers write about, where they have a 10K TT.    Ours are all 40K, and up....unless you're riding a hill TT.  

Bike
        • 1h 40m 17s
        • 28.44 miles
        • 17.02 Mi/hr

Edgewood Rd/Whiskey Hill/ Sand Hill Rd/Foothil - out and back.

Swim
        • 33m 05s
        • -----
        • -----
        My handlebar tape has nearly worn through, and is on the verge of coming off.  I'm thinking about upgrading my handlebars to these FSA K-Wing Handlebars that are more ergonomic.  Not sure what Gebhardt was thinking, but those skinny-assed handlebars that he put on my bike really suck - my hands do not like them. 

Rest Day.  Geez, I looked back into my journal and realized that I haven't taken a day off in a while.  See what happens when I get caught-up in my vacation from school!

Worked on my HST training plan for October. 

Edit:  REI has gels on sale - 25% off.  If you buy 12 or more gels at REI, they regularly cost $1/each, but you can also apply the additional 25% off this week, bringing them to roughly .75 cents/each. 

betyoursilver's Training Log

September 2006 
          SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
                1 2
          3 4 5 6 7 8 9
          10 11 12 13 14 15 16
          17 18 19 20 21 22 23
          24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
          Distance
          • April's totals
          • March's totals