The following equipment is nearing replacement:

Rest Day.  Geez, I looked back into my journal and realized that I haven't taken a day off in a while.  See what happens when I get caught-up in my vacation from school!

Worked on my HST training plan for October. 

Edit:  REI has gels on sale - 25% off.  If you buy 12 or more gels at REI, they regularly cost $1/each, but you can also apply the additional 25% off this week, bringing them to roughly .75 cents/each. 

Bike
  • 2h 04m
  • 34.01 miles
  • 16.46 Mi/hr

1 mile climb up Page Mill Rd. Whew, was I ever feeling yesterday's leg presses.

Yesterday afternoon I performed some much needed mountain bike TLC.  Damn, my bike was in bad shape, especially after riding in the volcanic ash at Mt. Lassen and in the sand, mud and water at Prairie Creek.  This morning I finally registered for the Mt Tam Hill Climb.  This will be a lot of fun.  So far, I've ridden this hill twice this year, so I know what I'm getting myself into.  In other news, not much is going on here.  It's beautiful here today with perfect temps, and it's decidedly autumn.

Meanwhile, I am not running a half marathon this fall since I have this bone spur issue that has basically irritated all of the tendons in my foot, and last week it began to wreak havoc on my ankle, knee, and I started feeling it in my hip joint  - apparently, I was overcompensating a little bit when I was walking and didn't realize it.  Anyway, despite not running, and only biking and swimming in recent weeks, the issue is not resolving itself on rest alone.  The bone spur crept up on me rather slowly this year and at first I figured it was an issue with stretching and additional stretching seemed to do the trick at first.  Eventually, it was clear that I needed to stop running.  Although it does not give me any trouble when I am running (strange, yes!), pain sets in shortly thereafter, and hangs around for a day or two, then I'm ok.  It's a tough situation for me because I really do feel fine when I'm running.  Ah, well....hopefully PT and the orthotics will do the job. 

Bike
    • 1h 47m 36s
    • 28.38 miles
    • 15.83 Mi/hr
    Strength
    • 1h 00m

• EXERCISE

Sets
      Min
      reps
      Max
      reps
      Min
      wt.(lb)
      Max
      wt.(lb)
    • ABS - Incline sit-ups
    • BACK - Assisted Pullups
    • BACK - Bent-over BB row
    • BICEPS - Straight Bar Standing
    • CHEST - Flat Dumbell Press
    • LEGS - Seated calf raises
    • LEGS - Standing calf raises
    • SHOULDERS - Military BB

Before it gets too cold this fall, we plan to ride the Flume Trail up at Lake Tahoe. If all goes as planned, we'll probably travel up there either the weekend of Sept 9th or the 16th.  I've heard so many great things about this mountain bike trail that I don't want to pass-up an opportunity to ride it this year.  Since it's a 22.5 mile trail, I figured it's worth the drive. 

The fall semester is going to be laid-back on the homework front, but I'll be interviewing with firms, so that is an added stress - a huge stress!  When I start work in January, I know that my work-life is going to be insane until April 15, 2007, and beyond that I don't know how long I'll have to wait until I'm eligible for vacation time.  So, right now, I feel like I need to get out there and do a bit of travelling while I have the free time.  Once I start working, I assume I'll have a 6 month probationary period when I can't take vacation, but who knows?

There are so many unknowns in my immediate future right now, that I have not made any definitive athletic-related plans for 2007.  Once I start back to work, I also need to buckle down and start preparing for the CPA exam, which is not something to take lightly.  Beyond that, I've always been very active, so it's not like I need to have a century or a time trial or whatever scheduled to motivate me to exercise. 

Bike
      • 1h 22m 21s
      • 25.01 miles
      • 18.22 Mi/hr

trainer upon returning home from vacation.

What's going on in my world?

We just returned this afternoon from 6 days of vacation.  Tim and I left on Sunday and drove up to Northern California - the Red Bluff area to be exact.  On Monday, I spent some time with my mom, and helped her out with some errands over in Chico & took her out for an early birthday lunch.   It is quite hot up in the northern part of the state - much warmer than it is on the coast.  So, as we were driving past the Black Butte Lake sign on Interstate 5, we decided - on a whim - to beat the heat and head over to the lake and take a dip.  The water was warm like bath water, prompting us to return a second day.  Hence, the open water swims in my journal.  We were the only two swimmers on the entire lake on Monday.  Imagine having an entire lake to yourself!  Anyway, on Tuesday we drove up to the Mt Lassen area for what was supposed to be a 12.5 mile loop at Spencer's Meadow.  Unfortunately, the mountain biking guide book that we purchased at REI was a bit outdated, and there wasn't much of a loop to be had, but lots of trail in need of maintenance.  We made the best of it and still covered over 11 miles of less than ideal mountain biking terrain.  On Wednesday we drove back over to the coast, to Humboldt County, and after 4 hours in the car decided that we'd take a leisurely ride around Eureka on our mountain bikes.  It's best to see Eureka on a bike, anyway.  Of course, on Thursday we rode at Prairie Creek State Park.  If you ever find yourself in the northern-most part of California, and you enjoy the outdoors, this place is absolutely spectacular.  The mountain biking is fairly easy, and most beginners could navigate the trails. 

As for recent inquiries into my training - I am not training for a triathlon.  There's absolutely no running to be had in my journal in recent weeks.  I've been dealing with a bone spur on my left foot, and at present I'm waiting on my orthotic inserts for my shoes, and will begin physical therapy on Thursday.  The last time I swam regularly was in 1990, and it's an understatement to say that it's OBVIOUS if my recent swim workouts are any indication.  So, really, about the only thing I can see any athletic proficiency is with the bicycle.  Between my swim suckage and my gimp foot, there is not a triathlon in my future.  Thank You.

Bike
      • -----
      • 19.00 miles
      • -----
      Sport
      • Mountain Bike
      • 2h 33m 25s
      Prairie Creek State Park:  19 mile loop through old growth redwoods and along the Pacific Ocean.  This was a spectacular ride.  Started at the visitor's center, and went down to the beach where we saw numerous Roosevelt Elk.  I'd love to ride this loop again.  It's not too technical, but there were about 6 different streams that we had to cross on our bikes.  The last piece of the loop was a very steep 1.8 mile climb/trail - my garmin indicated that sections of it were a 33% grade.  It's fair to say that this route would be accessible to cyclocross bikes as well. 

Bike
      • -----
      • 14.48 miles
      • -----
      Sport
      • Mountain Bike
      • 1h 42m 43s

Went on a bike tour of Eureka; perused old town, went out to the park, etc.

Bike
      • -----
      • 12.00 miles
      • -----
      Sport
      • Mountain Bike
      • 3h 30m
      Spencer Meadow - Mt Lassen:  This was the most physically demanding mtn bike ride I've done in a long time.  To say that it was rustic and remote is an understatement.  The trail was located next to the Mt Lassen volcano, so there was a lot of ash in the dirt and it was extremely difficult to get any traction on the uphill portion of the ride.  We walked the bikes uphill a lot.  At one point, I even let some of the air out of my tires in hopes that I'd get better traction.  It helped a little, but not entirely.  The soil was so soft that as I was pedalling, the back tire would sink down into it, just as though the tire were cutting through butter.  I counted a total of 16 different trees that had fallen across the trail - some of which were waist-high.  So, we had to dismount the bikes, and carry them over the large fallen trees.  The rock gardens on the trail were nearly impassable in some places, especially on the uphill, but if my mtn bike skills had been sharpened a little more this year, many of the rock gardens would not have presented a problem.  It was clear that the Forest Service was trying to make this a hiking trail and horse back riding trail, but I'd question whether it's truly a great mtb trail.   There were some great views, though, and the scenery was definately a nice change of pace.  I wouldn't ride this trail alone.  We saw two small bear cubs, but didn't wait around long enough to see if mama bear was nearby. 

betyoursilver's Training Log

September 2006 
      SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
            1 2
      3 4 5 6 7 8 9
      10 11 12 13 14 15 16
      17 18 19 20 21 22 23
      24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
      Distance
      • April's totals
      • March's totals