Focus HIM TT
WU: 500EZ
TR: 6x50 S/H
MS: 2000 TT
CD: 200EZ
---
2000 yds on 26:10 min with NO flip turns
100 avg for TT 1:18 min

End of 3 unload cycle. I cut it short from my regular 4 day cycle as I took a complete day off and I am feeling ready to go, although stupid GERD is giving me some trouble (my fault) and I am hoping I'll be back tom normal in a few days. On a good note I did a swim 2000 yds time trial and posted a PR at 26:10 min and I wasn't doing flip turns. I felt strong for most part but I began running out of gas in the last 500s due to the GERD which causes me trouble breathing. Anyway, nice swim and encouraging for FL 70.3

Thank you everyone for the kind PM/inspires! I think I was just a bit overwhelmed with my friends in town, the crappy weather, etc. But sometimes it is just better to take these things out of your chest no? Now I am feeling like I took a big weight off my shoulders and feel reinvigorated! Instead of stressing in particular about my lack of training I just restructured my plan and moved up my unload cycle a couple of days earlier.

This actually turned out to work out great because well there is nothing I can do about the weather, 2nd because I didn’t follow my regular diet I had some reflux issues and a few days easy/off will help and 3rd because now I have 28 straight days of build/peak training and then 7 days for taper before FL 70.3. I know I won’t be 100% ready as I was last year but I am happy with the way my training is been coming along and quiet encouraged that my fitness is coming back a lot faster of what I anticipated.

Anyway, I might do an easy swim or run later doay I am still not sure as work is busy and the weather still sucks :)

Run
  • 34m 45s
  • 4.80 miles
  • 07m 14s /Mi

Focus: guilty pace
Easy run for unload day

Unload day

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 18.50 miles
  • 18.50 Mi/hr

Focus: easy/steady trainer ride

I am feeling a bit under the weather today. I haven’t been able to train because well the weather sucks, but mainly because one of my best friends is in town and even though he is into Tris and all, he and other of my very close friends also want to socialize, go out and such. I have TONS of fun spending time them but also I am REALLY missing my big training weekend which was schedule at the right time before FL 70.3 to produce the most fitness gain and well I do want to have a kick a$$ in this tri season in particular after my sickness episode.

That brings me to another point, spending time with my friends means for me to get off my usual routine which isn’t bad but due to my health issues it is very tough for me to eat out more than a few times every now and then other wise my reflux gets nasty. Add to that the going out (although I don’t drink) you stay awake later than usual, you stand up for hours, etc and training suffer. Last night a bunch of friends got together and spending time there was fun in the sense that I got to see all them. Many are into tris/running by the way but at our goals and level of commitment is different.

You see I know I am not young enough to become a 1st tier pro, that I began my tri dream late in life, that I don’t come from any of the 3 sports background, I know I would have to train full time to have a small chance to be close to the fast pros on the big races, I know all those things; but I also know that I am uncertain about how long I could be doing this for many reasons (health, life priorities, etc) and I really would like to try my best for a at least few years to see how far I can get. I would love to be a 2nd tier pro finishing top 10-20 on big races and see how far I can get within my own limitations.

Why I am mentioning all this, because it is getting clear that many of the people around me doesn’t quite get WHY I want to commit so much to this. They look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention I don’t want to drink, that I would prefer to be in bed early to be able to train and THEN do something fun together. Sometimes I even get questioned as to why I am single, why I am not desperately looking for girls or that special someone. Why I train so much or why I am so lean. Sometimes I even get this from my family which is quite frustrating. Why people can’t understand we have different priorities in life and we get to live happy enjoying different things.

Yes, choosing this life can get very lonely, sometimes I do miss having a special woman in my life, I miss spending times with my friends without feeling I am misbehaving. I wish I could see my family more often, but again this is a choice I made and I am happy with it. Plus, this is giving me a jump start in another goal I have professionally which is make the jump from a MBA graduate, business manager to a successful premier full time coach. I personally believe the experience I get on my own training plus all the different things I am doing to continue educating myself will have a big impact on the business project I am developing for my future. I love coaching, I love helping my guys, talking to them, getting all nervous when they are racing, etc.

I don’t know why I am posting this, but yesterday after getting home was the first time since I began tri-training that I questioned myself on this personal quest. I questioned whether I am really missing other stuff and if I should not be pursuing this goal. And even though I quickly realized that’s just insane because I DO love this lifestyle, I hate the fact that I feel like I am doing something wrong. I hate that I have to justify to my friends why I choose not to drink, go out to bars, be chasing women at every single opportunity, or traveling for a fun vacation instead of a racing one. I hate I have to justify to my family why I don’t currently have a girlfriend or why after investing all that money in educating myself, now I want to become a fulltime coach. (Even though I paid my own college, MBA and I’ll do the same for my PhD).

I already created 3 start ups (2 of them successful which I sold before grad school), I enjoy very much been an entrepreneurship and I am not afraid to try and fail. I rather be doing something I love even though it is tough as hell and risky than continue to have a safe income and be bored out of my mind and unhappy everyday. Plus, I think that when it is time to meet that special girl she will come along, we’ll meet and I’ll know right away I want to spend time with her forever. Maybe I am naïve, maybe I am a dreamer, and maybe I am chasing a crazy dream… who the F knows, but I won’t find out until I try right?

Bike
  • 2h 46m 19s
  • 50.10 miles
  • 18.07 Mi/hr

Long ride steady pace with 1 hr HIM pace
Entire workout (169 watts):
Work:1665 kJ
TSS: 161.9 (IF0.768) NP 192, Cad 91

Run
  • 31m 41s
  • 4.80 miles
  • 06m 36s /Mi

transition run 20 min easy 10 min HIM pace

Bike
  • 2h 09m 49s
  • 39.25 miles
  • 18.14 Mi/hr

Focus: mid distance steady ride
Entire workout (160 watts):
TSS:108.2 (IF 0.711)NP 176, Cad 86 rpm

Swim
  • 41m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 01m 38s /100 yards

Focus: Freestyle steady short swim
Warm-up: 400 Swim bilateral, 200 paddles
Transition Set:
4x50 drills, 3x100 DPS
Main Set: 3 x 400
Descend 1 - 4: each 400 is faster than the previous one. Start very easy, Rest 30 sec. or less.
Cool Down:
200 Easy bilateral

steady shortish swim as recovery from yesterday's sessions. I am HOPING for a longish ride after work vefore the rain spoils the weekend :)

Run
  • 30m 53s
  • 5.04 miles
  • 06m 08s /Mi

Focus: HIM pace run

Swim
  • 45m 35s
  • 2900.00 yards
  • 01m 34s /100 yards

Focus: FT reps
WU:500EZ bilateral, 100 bouy
TR: 40x50 drills, 4x50M/H
MS: 14 x 100 @ 1:15 (R:10)
200S
CD: 300EZ bilateral
---
100s avg - 1:14 min

Nice FT reps swim. qhen doing the WU my arms felt heavy, don't know why but as soon as I got some blood flowing i felt fine and managed to hit the pace of my reps I stooped at the 14 rep when I felt off the pace. I'll do a HIM pace run later on...

BTW, I am now officially coaching with my coach. Visit the website: http://pbmcoaching.com/aboutus.htm. We'll be updating it pretty soon to add more content, articles, etc.

I was doing my tempo run and I saw a Kenyan convoy (they are in town already in the final days prior the big race). while I was running at a moderate (Z3) pace at 6ish pace those guys where doing an easy run at the SAME pace :) It is just awesome to see them run. I ran with them for like 2 miles until they turned around... pretty cool!

JorgeM's Training Log

April 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • September's totals
  • August's totals