Man, o, man I wish I could have taken part in all of the fun had around Canandaigua Lake this morning!  Since I had the kids all to myself today while Rob's at a 5 hour orienteering event that's a 2 1/2 hour drive away, I decided to take the kids to Kershaw Park and at least go swimming in the lake!  We didn't arrive until 11:30, so by that time I think the biking fun was way over with.   I was in the mood to hang out at a beach and play in the sand.  The lake water was 70 degrees, still cold for me to want to freely swim around.  Tyler didn't seem to mind, but Bryn eventually got too cold to want to swim.  We made lots of sand creations in the 3 hours we were there, though! It was a lot of fun.  I definitely have plans to go to the beach a few more times this summer!

An off day today basically because I got too lazy to get in anything before life got in the way.

Bryn had her dance recital this morning!  So cute!!  She did it!! - got out on the stage with the lights blaring down on her and all of the people in the audience watching.  It was great! 

I was nervous!  It was my very first dance recital too, and on top of it, I had volunteered to be the "dance mother" (ha!)!  I had to gather the girls in Bryn's class and take them back stage and make sure they were ready.  I totally enjoyed the little kids' dances, and a few of the older girls dances, but some of them made me question why I was spending my entire morning inside on a beautiful day.  I really began to wonder if this is going to be my lot in life - spending entire days at dance recitals for Bryn.  She truly enjoys this stuff and she's a dancin' fool.  She was dancing her little heart out in the aisle for every single dance we watched.  Also makes me wonder if she was switched at birth....   Wink

Needless to say, we both came home and crashed for a couple of hours.  

Now off to celebrate Father's Day and Great-Grandpa's 89th (?) Birthday!!  Nobody seems to actually know exactly how old he really is!  Not even him!  Laughing

  • 45m 32s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 09m 46s /Mi

I figured since I whined so much about my poor running performance(s) yesterday, I better not skip today's run!! So, I went out after the kids were in bed. I didn't feel too bad this time around, and I wasn't running under the greatest conditions since I had a pretty big dinner only a couple of hours prior to the run. I still get some left ankle twinges and stiffness, but never too bad.

(Run Base
Run on a flat course or treadmill. Keep HR in Zone 1-2, no higher than the top of Z2.)

It looks as if my summer will be consumed with kitchen remodeling like I had planned. That's kind of why I've left July and August basically "race-free." I went today and signed the papers and gave them a deposit. So long money... Their official start date should be July 30th, but we'll start ripping out the kitchen around July 22nd. I can hardly wait to take a sledge hammer to those cabinets and countertops!! bwwwaaaaaaaaa!!! Laughing

  • 1h 12m
  • 18.68 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

After my wonderful afternoon nap (I wish Rob took the day off every day...), I took off on my bike. We went strawberry picking at Chase Farms this morning and it got me in the mood to ride out in that direction, so that's what I did! Biking seems so much easier for me than it did even a month ago. I can maintain a good pace on a flat stretch and come up on a hill without losing too, too much speed. My gear changing can be tricky since it's very sensitive to how I move the levers, but I think I'm getting better at knowing the how much or how little to move them to get them where I need them. I found a really nice loop today. This whole biking thing is getting more and more enjoyable for me. Huh, go figure! :)

  • 45m
  • 5.15 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

Went pretty much straight from the bike to the run, with only maybe a minute or so for a couple of long drinks and to get the helmet and gloves off. I definitely notice I'm better coming off of the bike and going into the run, but I've become a bit frustrated with my overall run performances. It just seems to me like I haven't gotten a whole lot stronger or faster. The runs seem very laborious, which I guess means I'm pushing it, which is good, but when I look at the GPS and my "pushing it" is only a 7:53 pace on a flat stretch, I get a little miffed. I looked at the GPS readout on the computer to see how my pace changes on a hill. Depending on the steepness of the hill, my pace can plummet anywhere between a 10/min pace to a 8:15 pace. Up the long main street hill I averaged an 8.47 pace, and up the long, more gradual hill on Church street I averaged an 8:02 min pace. These don't look terrible really, but I can't help but feel frustrated while I'm running. A continuing issue for me is hydration and nutrition. I really need to invest in a hydration belt. I couldn't find any gels or other energy drink mix (I scolded Rob for hiding the stuff on me!) So I hit a point on the run where I was really wishing there was a water stop waiting for me !

Also, I had the worst need for a potty stop at about 1.8 miles into it. I couldn't run at all. I "scooted" to the perinton park potties as fast as I possibly could (which seemed like an eternity!!) It was really terrible. Then, when I finally got there, the women's bathroom was LOCKED!! AAAHHHHH!! Without hesitation I went straight for the men's room and barged on in. I had no qualms about the possibility of barging in on a man taking care of his business! Thankfully there was no one in there! Whew! Certain disaster averted - this time...

I can't quit decide if I should take today off or Friday. I only have an easy 45 min run to do today. But, Rob's taking tomorrow off, so I'll be able to get my long brick w/o in tomorrow instead of Friday (that's not the reason he's taking off, though!) Decisions decisions.... I feel like taking today off, though.


  • 41m 30s
  • 9.83 miles
  • 14.21 Mi/hr

I DID NOT want to get up this morning. My husband has turned into a drill sergeant!! The alarm went off and I think at least 3 separate times he pushed me and pestered me to get up! I almost slugged him. At 6:30 I finally managed to get up and was out the door at 6:45. I know it doesn't sound too early, but it sucked nevertheless.

I finished the workout, and did it pretty much as it says. BTW - Rob did fix my gear shifting problems on the bike so I haven't had them slipping on me, which is wonderful, so I forgive him...

(Big Gear
WU: 5'
4x30" sprint - with 1' recovery
4x1' sprints - standing 2' recovery
4x30" sprint again with 1' recovery
CD: 5')

  • 1h 17m
  • 3280.84 yards
  • 02m 21s /100 yards

Adv/Int workout. Had a lane all by myself, which was fantastic for me tonight. I wasn't in the mood to socialize at all. After dealing with kids today, I needed complete silence for awhile! I was so, so, so tired today. No more early morning workouts for awhile. I needed to leave the house, though, so I went swimming. I ended up having more energy for it than I thought I would.

W/U 400 choice (I did 200s, 100k, 100s)
8x75 on 2:05 (50 drill, 25 swim)
Main Set:
2x50 drill on 1:15
1x100 stroke on 2:25
1x200 build on 4:00 (I forgot it was 200, accidentally did 2 100's)
1x300 pull on 6:00
1x400 free, really push it, on 7:35 (did in 7:10?)
1x300 pull (I bagged this set)
1x200 build
1x100 stroke
2x50 drill
Kick: 4x100 (odds free, evens breast and fly kick)
W/D 100

On the first 300 pull set my left shoulder really began to bother me. I got worried that it was a serious issue because it really was starting to hurt. I kept going so I could pay attention to it and try to identify where it was located. I talked with Martie about it and came to the conclusion that it's a muscle, and nothing more. It went away for the most part after I stopped using the paddles. I did feel it every now and then if I crossed my left arm over mid-line, so I tried to concentrate on not doing that. I skipped the 2nd 300 pull set. I really think I need to make an effort to build my upper body strength.

  • 47m
  • -----
  • -----

Another 5:45 a.m. swim in Canandaigua Lake with jackjack!
The alarm clock came way too early for me this morning. If Rob hadn't pushed me a couple of times and coaxed me out of bed, I very well might have missed it.
There was little to no chop to the water this time, but it did seem a bit colder to me. We decided to do 2 buoys at a time instead of stopping at each one like we did last time. That was really pushing me. Swim went well, but it is always quite a workout for me - never seems easy. We did a bit more swimming today too, compared to last time (1 extra buoy and back). Even though I wasn't as eager to get in the water today, I'm very glad I did it and look forward to the next one!

RR posted, but had to do it in the triathlon format.  Didn't swim or bike, all runs, but it's good enough I think.

Kam29's Training Log

 June 2007 
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30