8:50 p.m. I don't know why now, but the dread and panic are setting in.  I should have gotten that t-shirt that said "This seemed like a good idea 3 months ago."  Maybe it's because I checked the weather report that predicts lightening and thunder storms.

I wonder what happened to the cute jumping Easter bunny I had going yesterday on my blog?  Oh well.

I went to bed early last night so I logged my walk this afternoon.  It was a good walk. Otherwise all I did yesterday was take a nap and eat candy.  We had a good day, though.  The kids had fun.  Oh yeah, we had a "married" duck couple come visit our house.  They walked right up the back porch steps, and if I'd left the door open long enough I'm sure they would have come right on in!   The kids and I followed them around our yard for awhile taking photos and video until we got bored.  Once we went in, they left too.  They were amazingly tame.  I think they were looking for a nesting spot.  I hope they found one closer to the canal.

My school was in "lock down" mode last Thursday afternoon.  I wasn't working that day thankfully.  Supposedly there were (several?) phone calls from the basement floor of the building saying there was a person on the school grounds with a gun.  I guess loads of police showed up.  One of my very sweet classes was outside on the playground when the police showed up with guns drawn and hustled the students and staff back inside.  The lock-down only lasted about 45 minutes.  They didn't seem to catch anyone.  Let it be known that the "basement" floor of the school is where the emotionally problematic kids are.  So maybe it was a hoax? 

However, I was getting heebie-jeebie feelings last week.  I was relieved that I didn't get called in last Thursday.  I was feeling uncomfortable with safety, and still am, obviously.  It all dawned on me after the Binghamton, NY shootings.  The school I sub teach in is very diverse.  Part of the building is for immigrants learning English.  I walked right past one of the classrooms last week when I got that eerie feeling, and only because of what had just happended in Binghamton.  And then I began realizing that anyone can walk into the school, even though only the very front doors are unlocked.  There isn't security like in some schools - metal detectors, armed security, etc.  Although, today some guy was standing in the lobby holding a metal detector wand.  I'm not sure who he was choosing to check.  He didn't check the staff that I'm aware of, and  he didn't check the students in my classroom.  It is highly unlikely that severly autistic students would gun anyone down I guess.  Although they have given teachers concussions and detached retinas....

And it's not the immigrants I'm weary of.  But I have taught in those emotionally/behaviorally disabled classrooms (Hillside day treatment) and I can see crime in a few of their futures, unfortunately.  One kid let me read his journal one day - about his dreams for when he's grown-up.  Some were very good like own his own business.  And the last one was not so good - to own a "glock" and another gun I don't remember the name of.    ::sigh::
  • Walking
  • 20m

A brisk there-and-back walk between my house and my in-laws because we left something at home for dinner.


  • 1h 25m 36s
  • 9.21 miles
  • 09m 17s /Mi

Plan called for 8-10 miles. I'm not sure why it gave the option. Run was ok. Not great, but not bad. No potty stops, which was great, but my foot was a little "hot" and my knees a little sore.
But I did start my period today, so I won't have to worry about that for the race, thank goodness!! :)
(I know, tmi....)

I am posting the weather forcast for St. Louis, MO.  Looks good so far.  Let's hope it holds out! 

  • 32m
  • 1300.00 yards
  • -----

Went to the rec ctr with the family and Rob played with the kids while I got my 30 minutes in. Tyler swam at least 4 lengths with me during my warm-up, one was butterfly. Bryn tried to do a 50 kick with me at the very end, but she still needs to work a bit on that. She likes to bend her knees too much still, and it must be hard trying to hold onto a kick board that's half your size.

I did some drill work tonight which I haven't done in awhile. I did another 300 yard time trial and clocked a 4:50 this time. I think that's 8 seconds faster. I'll have to double check.

  • 1h 02m 19s
  • 6.46 miles
  • 09m 39s /Mi

2 miles easy (10:21 avg pace)
3 miles Tempo (8:59 avg pace)
1.46 miles easy (10:01 avg pace)

Nice run. Great morning, just a little chilly. Stopped once for a potty break at my in-laws, but otherwise felt fine. My foot is doing well with the mole skin too.

Well, today seems to be a win-win situation for me and my job.  I was going to turn down a sub position today, but they didn't call for one anyway, so all is well!  Smile  I was feeling the pressure of having a lot of little things build up that I just need to take care of, so now I've got a bit more time to do them.  Plus, I can get my run in this morning!  Laughing

  • 40m
  • -----
  • -----

Up and down 3 lowest gears. Kept a high cadence.
Decent sweat.

Found this posted on the race's Facebook page

There are 17 fluid stations along the course - at approximately 2 mile intervals until mile 18, and then every mile thereafter. Stations will serve Gatorade Endurance Formula and water. The gel will be Hammer Gel, and it will be available near miles 14 and 23 (23 is mile 10 on the half marathon course). And yes, this will all be in your race day packet as well! Good luck!!

  • 51m 19s
  • 4.89 miles
  • 10m 29s /Mi

5x1K w/ 400m rest interval
10' c/d

I really dislike treadmills. And the battery in my music player died, so I was stuck watching the Today show. bah. This was an uninspired run. I plodded through it, setting the 1K pace at 9:05 for the 1st 3, then at 8:27 for the last 2. I didn't have time to finish the cooldown, but at least I got the meat of it done.

This photo cracks me up!!  Rob and Bryn went to the Cincinnatti Zoo, and she's standing in front of a large exhibit of some sort of cockroaches.  That's her "grossed out" face I guess.  Smile

I had my interview.  It went the way I kind of figured it would.  There were 5 very nice women sitting around me, asking me questions.  I asked detailed questions about the specific responsibilities of the position.  Then I got very frank with them, which is really the only way I know how to be in times such as this.  I said I thought I was in over my head for the position.  If it was a supervisory position spcifically for the autism program, then I might be more confident about it.  But the position as it is is beyond my confidence level.  If they are ever hiring for regular special ed. providers, then please give me a call.  They thanked me for my honesty, and everything ended pleasantly.  The end.  I feel a little bummed, like I WISH I were qualified enough for it, but also a little relieved because it just really was not what I was looking for to begin with.  I'll keep trying.  But I know I've got the sub position, since I've already been called for tomorrow!  yippee!  Tongue out  And at least I don't have a job that seriously interferes with my training.  Come on.  I've got my priorities ya' know!

8:30 a.m.  What's up with the weather???  I did not appreciate waking up to snow on the ground.  At all. 
I guess I'll go to the rec ctr to get in my run.  I need to do a T/Th/Sat schedule this week because of the Easter holiday.  I wouldn't mind running outside, but the wind is what's stopping me.

I have my 2nd interview at 12 today.  I'm not sure what to think of it.  I feel like I'll be interviewing them as much as they will interview me.  But, after the day I had yesterday, I'm starting to want this job more and more.  

Yesterday was the first day where I came home and had to blow off steam to Rob.  (poor Rob).  It's just a ridiculous classroom.  Last week I subbed in that room as a teacher.  And I didn't like it.  Yesterday I subbed as a para and I thought that would be good so I could see how the teacher runs the room.  Well, that's the problem.  The teacher doesn't run the room.  There is absolutely no focus, no schedule, no routine.  Nothing.  He's seemed to have checked out, so to speak.  I couldn't wait for the day to end.  Looooooong day.

Kam29's Training Log

 April 2009 
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30