Run
  • 44m 35s
  • 5.05 miles
  • 08m 50s /Mi

Recovery run. Ran around the neighborhood with my dog for part of the run, so it was slow going because she had to stop and pee every time we passed a spot where another dog had marked. It snowed about 6in last night and the roads and sidewalks were crazy slippery. Also, there's a wind chill advisory, with temps of 8 and windchills of -10 and gusts of up to 27mph. Fun stuff! Can I consider myself super hardcore yet? The weird thing is, even though I'm totally used to socal and get cold soo easily, I wasn't cold for even a bit on my run today- strange!

I'm such an idiot. When I scheduled my flight 3 weeks ago, I totally forgot that it's super bowl sunday today, so now I'm going to be one the plane for the entire game. Oh well! My interviews went really well here at U of R. The faculty was suuper nice, and the students were fun as well, but I highly doubt I'll come back to this area. It would be too tough for my bf to find a job as a teacher here, but we'll see. During these interviews, I've never been called crazy so many times before! Apparently, in one of my letters of recommendations, someone wrote about the fact that I do triathlons, so each of my interviewers knew that about me, and said- "you are crazy, you know that?" Haha, it's true!

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 6.5
Run
  • 2h 37m 30s
  • 17.90 miles
  • 08m 48s /Mi
I was supposed to do this run tomorrow, but mother nature decided today was better. Today it was f-ing freezing; 22 with a wind chill of 3, lots of gusty wind. The cold front was only supposed to get worse, and by tomorrow, the wind chill will be below zero. No way was I about to run 18 miles with a wind chill advisory in effect. So, I switched my long run to today, when at least it was sunny out. It was a tough run because I'm not used to the cold, in addition to the fact that there is a lot of snow on the ground, and I came really close to twisting my ankle on more than one occasion. My nutrition was funky because my gatorade froze early on, and I only ate 1 gu the entire time, because I need something to wash it down. Despite the fact that I was hungry and dehydrated, I only lost 2.5lbs for the run, and survived. I hope I run my long runs a bit faster in the next few weeks, but we'll see. This pace was :20s/mile slower than I want, but I think running 11mi yesterday may have slowed me down for the day, who knows. Anyways, running in the cold isn't as bad as I thought it would be, you just have to have dress right. I still don't know how you crazy wisconsin/minnesotan folk do it everyday in weather colder than this- you all are nuts!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Run
  • 1h 30m 24s
  • 11.00 miles
  • 08m 13s /Mi

11mi w/6mi at LT (1/2mary pace. It was hard for me to kick up my faster miles, since I didn't want to twist my ankle on the snow and ice, but those 6 miles were at 7:45min/mile.

It's a wee bit colder here in the frozen tundra! I got lucky though, because it was only 20 out there, and that's not really too bad. My face got a bit frozen and my ankles are cold 'cause my pants are too short, but overall, the run felt great!

Visiting with my family is going great, they're thrilled that I'm home. I love seeing my family and all, but one of the best parts about being home is playing with my dogs. They were soo friggin excited to see me, it's just the best feeling. I can't wait till I can get my own pup! Anyways, busy day of interviews all day, and then a faculty dinner tonight. Thanks so much for all the encouragement again, but you guys are going to get bored soon- I still have at least 2 more of these interviews to go on! Have an awesome friday, and great weekend- and to all of you racing- goodluck and have fun!

• Health data: Hours slept: 5
I made it back to Rochester just fine, and go figure, it is snowy, cold and overcast. Home sweet home! I have interviews all day tomorrow, but I'm not nearly as worried cause I've already done this. Oh yeah, I got a great e-mail yesterday: the program that I interviewed with last weekend sent me an acceptance e-mail yesterday! Woo-hoo! At least I know I can get a PhD from somewhere. In case I don't have time to write tomorrow, have an awesome weekend everyone!
Run
  • 1h 40m 28s
  • 12.04 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Not a bad run, but my legs still feel a bit of fatigue from Sunday. Lots of long downhills and short, steep uphills for this run, a bit like Boston :)

Another 3 day week at work for me- this is great! I'm headed to the University of Rochester (NY) tomorrow for another interview. I'm originally from there, so this trip doubles as a free trip home to see my parents. The weather is going to SUCK- it's supposed to snow every day- so hopefully I can keep myself motivated to run in what everyone else deals with every day ;) This AM, it actually rained for a bit of my run- craziness!

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 45m
  • 12.60 miles
  • 16.80 Mi/hr

Inside on the trainer. Why is the trainer so much tougher than outside on the road? Whew- that was a tough ride! Avg. cadence 89rpm; did some out of saddle sprints.

Run
  • 49m 54s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

Recovery plus 6x100 strides. My legs were really stiff at first, but after the first sprint, the soreness went away. I didn't wear my HR monitor, and I kind of liked it, because I actually push myself more if I don't see it creeping up towards 160.

So the doc says my cough is just really bad allergies. I guess that's good, because I don't have bronchitis or pneumonia, but it still seems lame. He said running shouldn't be a problem (not like I would've stopped anways). On another note, I realized the title of my blog is no longer entirely accurate. Granted, I didn't start tri's until July, but it doesn't feel like the first season anymore. Anyone have any witty suggestions? So I'm taking jmwebs suggestion for now, giving it a test run, since it seems moderately appropriate ;) We'll see, I may change my mind- but thanks for all the input!

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7
I was soo tired last night that I hit my snooze button for 1.5hrs this morning and couldn't drag myself out of bed. Could be the 17 miler, could be the non-stop traveling and partying, who knows!? I'm going to try and get a spin or swim in this afternoon, but life might get in the way. Happy Monday everyone!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 9

jazz82482's Training Log

February 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28   

Time
Distance
  • July's totals