Bike
  • 3h 38m
  • 60.13 miles
  • 16.55 Mi/hr

Tough ride! I left from work early and headed up the coast. I tried to eat a lot of food all day, but I didn't eat enough because I was hungry almost immediately. The ride started out into the wind, and there were a decent amount of uphills right away that sapped my energy pretty quickly. I could feel the fatigue from a long week of workouts early on, but it never got any worse than when I started out. I just couldn't keep up a great pace, and I had to take hills pretty slowly. There were a fair number of idiots on the road and TONS of traffic to deal with. Riding early on Sat. or Sun. is much more relaxing than rush hour on Thursday. When I finally made it back to my neighborhood, I stopped by the local liquor store and picked up some beer and ice cream because I was friggin STARVING. After my one beer, I am now drunk :)

I DID IT!! I signed up for the 101!!! Eeeekk!! I'm really excited, it should be a fun race! Now I REALLY have to swim more :) Oh man, what did I get myself into?! MikeB is going to race it with me and we're going to have a blast! Oh, and don't worry, today is not a rest day. My best friend from college is coming to visit this weekend, and since I don't want to spend half my weekend on a bike and running instead of with her, I've decided to do my long bike ride today. I'm leaving work a bit early to take advantage of as much sunlight as possible, and I should be able to ride for a while. The only thing that sucks is drivers are super crazy on their way home from work. Should be exciting! Eeeek! In 3 months I'm going to swim 1.86miles, bike 80.6mi and run 18.6 miles!!

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Bike
  • 26m 59s
  • 8.03 miles
  • 17.86 Mi/hr

Easy spin for a warm-up.

Run
  • 1h 27m 46s
  • 11.13 miles
  • 07m 53s /Mi

BRICK
Ran on some sustained, long downhills, and hard steep uphills. No leg fatigue at all, just ran at a relatively easy pace. It's weird how just over one month ago this wasn't an easy pace for me and 11 miles was still daunting. I guess training works!

Swim
  • 43m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 01m 43s /100 yards

200 pull
200 free
10x100 (avg. 1:32 because there was a ridiculously fast chick next to me...she kicked my ass)
1000 yards straight, easier pace: 18:01
cd: 100

I only liked this swim 2000 yards into it, but it wasn't bad. I was just thinking about dinner the entire time.

Now that interviews are all over, I actually have work to catch up on. It's nice to be busy, but I am still getting used to working full 5 day weeks! Happy Hump Day!

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 6.5
Bike
  • 1h 01m 07s
  • 20.13 miles
  • 19.76 Mi/hr

Trainer ride. I apparently don't have the trainer at a high enough resistance because I will never be this fast on the road! Legs felt fully recovered from my run. My recovery time is def. becoming shorter!

Run
  • 1h 03m 34s
  • 8.26 miles
  • 07m 42s /Mi

Intervals, 6x600m
Pace: 6:21; 6:24; 6:31; 6:44; 6:30; 6:10.
Legs felt fatigued from yesterdays effort, but my pace was right on, so I'm happy. Tough run!

Hopefully I'll be able to get on the trainer this evening.

Oye, internet was out all morning, and I couldn't check BT- EEK! Now I'm back, have no fear :)

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Hours slept: 10 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 2h 15m 14s
  • 16.98 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

I'm so glad I bagged the run yesterday. If I had tried to struggle through it, I would've just been frustrated at my pace. Today was much better, and my legs didn't have the fatigue from my long bike ride, either. I averaged around 7:45-7:50min/mi for the 14 miles of MP, which felt really good. If I could run a 7:45min mile for Boston, I would have a 3:23 marathon, which would be 15minutes faster than my last one and would be AWESOME! Haha, I won't get carried away!

Thanks so much for everyone's advice on my life :) . Boulder still has a few more candidates to interview, so I don't even know if I'll have a choice to make, we'll see. It's also a tough decision because I really don't want to leave San Diego, but I've always intended to get my PhD, and that just isn't happening here. UCSD has the top ranked Neuroscience program, and I had about as much of a chance of getting in there as I did getting into Harvard (or less, even). Besides, it's a ridiculously competitive program, and I would lose all free time and would no longer be able to enjoy life as much as I do now. I've thought about pursuing some other type of career, but I just have no clue what I would do with my science degree. I'll take suggestions as to how to stay in SD as well! (and I don't really believe I'm a good enough athlete to pursue triathlons full time ;) )

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 6.5
Run
  • 17m 26s
  • 2.16 miles
  • 08m 04s /Mi

Stupid stupid stupid cramps. Arggg!! Bad timing, because I was supposed to run 17 miles today. I've only had really bad 'that time of the month' cramps like 5 other times in my life, but unfortunately, it just happens to be the few hours that I had set aside to run today, and they are strong enough to stop me from running. Oh well, I'll just go early tomorrow morning.

Sport #1
  • Frisbee
  • 40m
Sport #2
  • Volleyball
  • 30m
Gorgeous day today! It was about 82 all day today, and Ryan didn't have a lot of planning to do, so we got to hang out together all day. We went to the beach for a bit to hang out, then played football, volleyball and frisbee in the park and just lounged around in the sun. Awesome day (aside from not being able to run)!

• Health data: Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 9
Bike
  • 2h 36m 41s
  • 47.13 miles
  • 18.05 Mi/hr

On my ride up the coast, I caught up to a group of riders called 'Swami's' and I tried to keep up with them for a bit. They headed inland and practiced sprinting up hills, so they dropped me after about 8mi. Oh well, gave me some good incentive to get faster and try harder. They were FAST! Really gorgeous ride overall. I'm very happy with my average pace because I felt like I was pushing myself the whole time.

Run
  • 37m 34s
  • 4.81 miles
  • 07m 49s /Mi

BRICK
I didn't eat enough while biking so my energy was completely lacking for this brick, but it turned out OK. My RPE was through the roof- I kept trying to slow down, but it wasn't happening.

We had a fun evening last night hanging out with friends, and the best part was, I got to be before 1am so I could actually get some sleep!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 5 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 5
Run
  • 1h 51m 10s
  • 14.02 miles
  • 07m 56s /Mi

Nice long run. Felt a bit fatigued for the first half, but after about 6mi, I felt normal again.

I finally have a second to sit down and write for a bit. My interview was a whirlwind of activity. Everything went extremely well. Here are some of the great things: -The people in the lab are awesome, well-balanced grad students -There is a ton of equipment to use and a ton of money available to pursue different projects -They are a very high producing lab, with 7-8 papers already published this year -Both PI's are awesome people (the first thing I talked about with the one guy was what type of pedals he had on his bike :) ) -The research they do is outstanding and most people come out of the lab getting any post-doc position they want -They are extremely flexible with their schedules so I could train during the day if I wanted to -There are 2 triathletes already in the lab -Last but not least: Boulder ROCKS! I love the hippies, the 'buy local' vibes, the outdoor attitude, and the green of it all (both politically and environmentally) of everyhing. I love to ski, hike, climb, bike, ski more, run, camp and be in the mountains and forests. The only thing that makes this decision difficult is the fact that the actual program at Michigan (ie the classes you have to take and requirements needed) are a bit more rigorous. That might not be a good thing in the long run, because I could focus on my research right away, but that is the only thing that makes me nervous. The biggest problem with Michigan is that it's not in Boulder. Ryan really, really, really wants me to pick Boulder, and he's even said he'd buy me a new tri bike if it meant I picked Boulder! I shouldn't get my hopes up yet, though, because I don't know if I'm even in yet. I am a bit stressed, though, because this is a huge life decision, and I just don't know what the right path is. Arrrggghh!!! Any advice for this youngin'?

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 5

jazz82482's Training Log

March 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • July's totals