• 2h 58m
  • 40.56 miles
  • 13.67 Mi/hr

Two false starts. 30 degrees when I woke up and I had a real hard time getting out there. Had to come back after 3 min for a rubber band for sweats, and at 19 minutes to take some clothes off. After that it was pretty good. cold north wind, but a sunny beautiful day. And I got the ride in. Left almost an hour late so I cut it short a bit, in favor of the swim which turned out to be almost a non-event.

  • 21m
  • 1.88 miles
  • 11m 10s /Mi

Brick. Felt ok. Better than the others. Still geologically slow.

  • 30m
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

this was supposed to be a 5000. I tried, but it just was not working. Was it the bowl of cereal before, or the bike/run, or just that I had a really tough day yesterday? Anyway there was this really fast guy in the lane next to me, so I played with chasing him on some shorter intervals.

Finally at about 1000 yards, I decided that I'd just had it and it wasn't working. did 350 of side stroke, back stroke and breast to 'cool down.'

I'm ok with quitting. I gave it a good shot, and it just wasn't happening.
I was an hour late getting there and I've got somewhere to be this afternoon.

...while we live in the eternal God who does not change, we are forever drawing from Him the possibility of the manifold expressions which give variety to existence and which make living interesting. - Ernest Holmes

Interesting quote in today's readings.  Big changes here today.  I'm preparing to spend only one or perhaps two more weeks here in this house of my boyhood.  That means cleaning out and packing up the utility room and the kitchen.  How many plates do I really need for a one week stay.  How much cleaning supplies do I really need, or household fixing tools?  Also should pack up my clothes.  I've accumulated almost a closet full over the last 8 months here.  I've almost got my car packed full to ferry stuff to the intermediate staging point in Ruidoso.  Next week I'll be able to carry a load to Midland, but I'll have to have room for the bike and all the tri stuff on it's way to IMFL.  I'm more at peace with moving as long as I don't stop and think about not being here again.

It's an absolutely gorgeous New Mexico morning, clear as a bell, the mountains look like you could touch them and the air is chilly with a warm sun.  Typical NM fall that I love so much.

Busy, busy.  The painter is here preparing walls, repairing window frames and that kind of stuff.

Will try to get a short walk in later.


Run #1
  • 58m
  • 5.44 miles
  • 10m 39s /Mi

1900 ft climbing. 10 - 11 m/m going up the hill, 9m/m going across, 7.30 to 8 coming down and wow, that's fun. Eased up after about two miles, don't want to hurt myself running faster than I usually do for a long time.
LT workout. 4 min at LT, one min walk. Did that for most of the run. Real running and it felt so good, especially the downhill part. Felt like I was flying.
Cool, clear, sun setting and moon rising over the mountains. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

  • 48m
  • 2515.31 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
1200 continuous easy 'race' pace

foot cramped pretty bad near the end. Had to stop for a couple minutes. I was swimming those 100's medium hard, and pushed off the wall hard and it cramped.
A nice young lady joined me for a while, then one of the life guards got in and we swam circles. It was a welcome break from always swimming by myself.

Run #2
  • 18m
  • 1.62 miles
  • 11m 06s /Mi

T2 6.37 Just an easy jog home from the pool under the full moon. tried my run light a couple times just to make sure it's working ok. I'll need it in the state park.

16 Days until IMFL

I got 9 hours of paying work done today with divine guidance.  Got part of the car loaded, and the neighbor came over and got some more of the furniture.  I still have to pack up the kitchen and utility room.  Loading stuff in the car sure helps me feel like this thing might work out.

I still believe it will all work out somehow.

Great work out this evening.  Running through the sunset and into the darkness reminds me of running in Florida.  I am always worried about skipping a morning workout in favor of doing it later in the day, but it's worked out twice this week.  Looking forward to another long workout on Saturday - but only 5 hours not the 9 I did last Saturday.    IM training really warps your sense of time and distance.

Dinner and BT.  Huge plate of mixed vegetables and bow tie pasta and a chicken leg and thigh.  Dang my life is just plumb exciting.



  • 34m
  • 7.60 miles
  • 13.41 Mi/hr

Supposed to be an easy 30 min spin - recovery ride, so that's what I did. Thought I might put a little brick in there, but time is short, and I just ran last night. so that's it.

more cowboy wisdom:

The biggest liar you'll ever have to deal with probably watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you can chew.  Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think.

That last one I really like.  Hope that works for me today, and I'm calling on divine guidance to help this whole thing work out.  The house, the work, the training, IMFL.  It's a bit overwhelming, so I'm asking for help, which I'm sure will come.

Today:  work. massage at 11:30, pick up groceries, load car for weekend trip so I can get stuff out of the house, and have a better idea of what I've got left to haul.  Need to clean out Utility room so that the painter can get that room primed before the weekend.  Dinner at Carol's house with friends at 6:30.  Yup that's about 3 days worth of stuff to do today.  I'm sure that what needs to happen will happen.

  • 1h 26m
  • 7.94 miles
  • 10m 49s /Mi

Run to pool in a round about way to get 6.28 miles in 1:07. Cut it a little short because the pool closes at 8:00.

Nasty, nasty night. Started with pretty big wind. At one point though I was surrounded by beauty. The sunset on my right was lighting up the sky all in shades of red, and on my left the mountains were glowing red in the light of the sunset. So gorgeous. But then the wind picked up even more. When I left the house - gusts to 33 mph, during the run up to 45 mph. That kind of gust pretty much stops you in your tracks. But, but running downhill, with the wind, now that I can do! 265 ft of climbing. max speed 7.51

After the swim, just an easy run home in blinding dust storm and strong winds. The gravel blowing off the street was stinging my legs. Not too much fun, but I'm real pleased that I got my work out in and didn't blow it off.

  • 29m
  • 1531.06 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
2x100 ebeh
200 cd and out of time.

Some joking with the life guards when we got out. There was a guy on the other end of the pool and apparently he whistled. I was ready to get out anyway, but I thought it was the guards. The young man told me he didn't blow the whistle but it was the guy. I told them that I thought maybe it was the young lady lifeguard, because she wanted me.... to get out of the pool. Timing of the pause was just right. Startled expressions, then laughter. It's too bad, but I don't think she wants me. :) A little fun to end the evening. I always enjoy visiting a little with the young staff.

More cowboy wisdom:

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm.  The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.

Wow what a day.  I skipped my workout this morning to get ahead of the carpet removal guys.  The across-the-street neighbor came over to take some of the furniture, and help me move stuff.  Then my cleaning ladies showed up.  I told them to please take any of the stuff that they wanted, and they were very pleased to look through the stuff and found a bunch that they wanted.

Anyway, we managed to get three bedrooms and the living room totally emptied out.  The carpet guys moved the bigger furniture, including the piano, couch, and a heavy old WWII era gray desk.  It's all in the carport now, and all the carpet is out.  The main part of the house is totally empty.  The kitchen and den have some stuff.  I did get a little pruning done in the yard while the carpet guys were finishing up.  Also managed to get through all but a 1/2 drawer of the file cabinet.  I still may be trying to keep too much stuff, but it's getting down to the very end.  The painter comes on Thursday.  One of my dad's friends wanted the kitchen table and thought she had a buyer for the car.  I spent a couple of hours figuring out what needs to be done to sell the car, downloading forms and filling them out.  It turns out that she misunderstood me and told him $1000 instead of $2000.  We were all a bit embarrassed and I'm sure he was disappointed.  I then spent an hour at the DMV to figure out that what they told me on the phone wasn't the best way to prepare to take care of the paperwork. - Cost me an hour but at least they didn't charge me anything.

And at the end of the day I managed to get my workout in.  Did you know that a package of peanut butter crackers, six oreo's, a few grapes, and a glass of water make an ok snack to go run on?

  • 1h 14m
  • 18.20 miles
  • 14.76 Mi/hr

Late start, got sidetracked doing stuff around the house, then bike had a flat. I'd rather change it in the house warm, no wind, pump. But still, that's one a ride since I got the new tires.

Supposed to be a LT training ride. Going out is uphill. I discovered after my 'warm up' where it just starts to get a little steeper, that I've been doing a LT workout every ride. Anyway I pushed hard on each uphill and spun out on the down hills. - good workout. Legs felt bad starting out, but after the first big climb they started feeling pretty strong.

1400 ft climbing. Traffic is much heavier at 8:00 than at 6:00. I've got to reclaim my IM dicipline and get up at 4:30 and to bed at 8:30. Unfortunately they're calling for rain on Wed - my next ride. I suppose summer is over here.

Max speed 31.4 - Lots of stop lights this morning. Was ok, fits right in with the LT training.

  • 15m
  • 1.44 miles
  • 10m 25s /Mi

Little brick run. Good news, legs didn't feel so awful as they did on Sunday after the bike. Pretty much ran the whole thing. Two very short walk breaks, calves were getting real tight at about one mile. Did one strides at about 1/2 mile. short walk, then speed picked up from 11m/m to 10m/m

Cowboy wisdom:  Don't squat with your spurs on.

Don't never interfere with something that ain't botherin' you none.

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Real pleased with workout today.  Legs felt good on the bike, and after 1/2 mile felt pretty good on run.

I stopped at Whole Foods to see if the massage person was there yesterday. Got an awesome 20 min on my calves, and an appointment for this Wednesday at her office.  She's a cyclist - was excited to have an athlete to work on.  I'm excited to get a massage this week.  She was pretty good - a little intense, but I wonder why her schedule is totally open.

Lots of progress on the house yesterday - desk cleaned off, most of two file drawers gone through and emptied.  Going fast on this is hard, but I'm out of time.  Neighbors came over last night and took away some stuff, and ooh'd and ahh'd over the bathrooms.  I may have found someone to do the the utility room floor.

Not counting days yet, but it's less than three weeks till IMFL. 

  • 15m

Active all day moving boxes and stuff around the house. Cleaning out files .
now checking this logging device to see if I can access stuff with one click as advertized.

Be able to be alone.  Lose not the advantage of solitude, and the society of thyself. - Thomas Browne

Ok, so they've changed the dialog box again?  -- not so bad

I've spent plenty of time alone this summer.  More than usual.  I'm thankful for my new friends here is Albuquerque.  Mindi especially has invited me to several events, and pretty much kept me from being a total hermit.  And her friend Tim rode with me several times.  Because I was constantly planning to leave soon I didn't spend time searching out riding friends.  I did go to a couple of group rides that didn't pan out.  I'm ok by myself, but enough is enough.  And too much is not healthy.  Ski season coming, and I'm looking forward to spending time with ski friends and my kids.

Yesterday's ride was interesting.  I got to ride under the hot air balloons just after they had launched.  More than 100 in the sky at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  Pretty cool.  Traffic - not quite as cool, but I made it through ok.  It really wasn't too bad, just a bit scarey.

Cleaned off my dad's desk top this morning.  This afternoon I've got to get through the file cabinet.  On Tuesday the carpet removal guys come and I want them to move all the furniture out to the carport.  I wonder what I'll do with the (probably broken) piano. 

Time for going through stuff and being reflective is over.  I love it here, but it's time for me to move on.  I have an interesting mood today.  I feel really good because of the mammoth work out yesterday. Well, except for a calf that is trying to cramp a bit.  But at the same time I'm sad.  Going through this stuff - all these boxes of papers and preparing to actually leave makes me sad. 

This afternoon I'm going to invite the good neighbors over to see if there's anything they want of all this stuff that neither my sister nor I can take.  Still struggling a bit with how to get it all out in time, and the stuff moved that has to move - all in time with a trip to Florida for IMFL.

Rest day today.  That seems like a good idea after a 9 hour workout yesterday.  Besides I've got enough to do at my Dad's house to fill several days.

  • Health data: Hours slept: 9

jashac's Training Log

 October 2013 
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  
  • February's totals
  • January's totals
  • 2018 totals
  • 2017 totals