I've got a sick wife and sick daughters at home so I don't think that I'll be able to work out today.  I did promise Henry that I would be there tomorrow.

 I really appreciate the support that I have gotten from people on this site.  It's really tough to get up off the couch after years of practicing to be a potato.  I can say for certain that if it were not for the constant inspiration from my BT (and NAMSC) friends, there is no way I would have done the race yesterday.  I will be eternally grateful to you all for helping me reach a long-time dream of finishing a triathlon.  Now, on to an Olympic!

 Oh, and my race report is up.

  • 47m 50s
  • 13.00 miles
  • 16.31 Mi/hr
  • 31m 51s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 10m 16s /Mi
  • 08m 32s
  • 400.00 yards
  • 02m 08s /100 yards

I finished the Emerald Pointe Triathlon in about 1:34.  I'll post a race report later but just wanted to put up a couple of thoughts:

It was great having people I knew there.  It would have very hard for me to keep pushing if I were not looking forward to seeing steamy, nealphelps, lawyerchick and NAMSC crew on the course.

Triathletes are really nice people.

For those who do half- and full- ironmans: HOLY CRAP!  I bow down before you in awe and admiration.

I'll definitely be doing this again! 

  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----
  • 30m
  • -----
  • -----

I did a light workout this morning just to get the blood flowing.  I ran for 10 minutes, walked for 20 minutes, stretched, and then biked for 10 minutes.

I'm feeling a little depressed about my diet so far this week.  The company has provided lunch and dinner all week and it has not exactly been health food.  I know I should just bring in something healthy to eat but I feel foolish turning down free food.  And they'll order me some even if I bring in my own.  I guess I have to work on my mental strength too.

 I may have gone a little overboard in my hydration.  I've gone to the rest room so many times in the last two days that people here are starting to look at me funny.

  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 2 Hours slept: 7.5

12:19am  -  Well it's Thursday and I'm still at work.  Yee-hah!

1:45am  -  We're ready for tomorrow, I mean, today.  I'm going home.

 8:00am  -  The big meeting begins.

 I will try to do some kind of workout at lunchtime.  I haven't been able to do anything this week except for the run on Tuesday so I am concerned about a loss of fitness.  But I am also concerned about working out too close to the race.  I am still in very poor shape and even light workout leaves my pretty beat the next day or so.  I think I'll run an easy mile or two and then call it a day.

I have built up quite a large sleep deficit this week so I may try to sleep in on Friday.  The problem for me about sleeping in is that the traffic getting in to town will really suck.  When I leave my house at 5:20-5:40 like most mornings, it takes me 30 minutes to get to the gym (two blocks from work).  If I put Natalie on the school bus and leave at 7:30, it takes over an hour and I can feel my blood pressure shooting up.  Once upon a time in New York I had a commute of 1:05 in (consistently) and 1:15-1:45 home and I got used to it.  Now, despite my teasing of Rebecca, I can't stand a long commute, especially in the morning.

  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Hours slept: 3

Well yesterday's 14 hour workday actually became an 11 hour workday.  Today promises to be similar.  The big meeting with the CEO is tomorrow so I think that Thursday and Friday should not be too bad.  If I get a chance I'll run down at lunchtime and bike a little.  Otherwise I'll do it tomorrow after work.

 Anna and both girls seem to be getting sick.  I'm almost afraid to go home because I almost always catch anything my family has.  Maybe I'll get lucky this time.

 1:40pm  - NOOOOOOOO!  I'm already feeling it in my throat and in my head.  Maybe it'll run its course by Sunday morning.  (oh please, oh please)

  • 23m 21s
  • 2.50 miles
  • 09m 20s /Mi

Ran the short route through the park with Henry's crew.

I wasn't planning to work out this morning due to the volume of work that needs to get done but I really needed the stress relief I get from running with henry's group.  Today we started out slowly but picked it up at the end.  My heart rate was over 165 for the last mile.  I think this will be my last real workout of the week.  Tomorrow morning I'll do a short swim and I'll bike a bit in the gym on Thursday.

 When we sped up I thought we were going at a pretty good pace when we got passed by a large group of young folks.  I think I heard a whoosh they were going so fast.  I started to feel bad when I noticed that they were part of the Ga Tech track team.  Wow, those guys and gals are fast!

 8:00pm  -  Ho hum, another 14 hour day at work.  At least the boss got us pizza so I can continue my carbo-loading.  What?  I'm not supposed to start that until Friday?  Hey, I always like to be early!

  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2

zaichikmiller's Training Log

 October 2006 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31