Anna landed safely in Moscow and is currently enjoying a 13 hour layover.  I've got the girls to myself for the next 25 days.  It's good that my older daughter has a pretty good idea of what clothes go together.  I'm hopeless.
Bike
  • 12m
  • 2.65 miles
  • 13.25 Mi/hr

Easy spin to warm up legs

My legs are feeling a little better today than yesterday.  When I left Dr. Nik's office they felt great but by the time I got home they were feeling sore again.  He thinks that I still have a good shot at being able to do the MCM.  I just need to make sure I don't run or do anything else that will aggrevate my IT band for the next couple of weeks.  That means that Emerald Pointe is out.  I think that I will bring the girls up there and spectate.

Run
  • 15m
  • 0.80 miles
  • 18m 45s /Mi

Easy walking to warm up legs.

Today my knee (IT band) is feeling a little better.  I no longer have sharp pains every time I try to bend my left leg.  I tried to do an easy spin on the bike but my knee was not in agreement with that plan so I just walked a bit.  Stretching felt very good.  My quads and glutes are very sore but my calves and hamstrings are just a little tired.  My lack of energy on the run kept me from pushing those muscles.  Unless my IT band makes a miraculous recovery I think I'm out for the Emerald Pointe tri and probably for the MCM too.  I'll see what Dr. Nik can do.

A few more comments on the race.

When I picked up my stuff from transition and headed to the car I thought to myself man, the bike is hard to push. I must be really tired. Then I realized that there was some squeaking coming from the front wheel. I then remembered that the last time I had been on the bike (a roswell ride with Neal) I noticed that the front brake was rubbing and commented that I needed to get Curtis to adjust it. I never did get together with Curtis. I had figured that with all the Gaps riding I had done I should have a decent bike time. I didn't and I think I now know why. Note to self: If you notice your brake rubbing, make sure it is fixed BEFORE you ride 56 miles. Also, I screwed up nutrition AGAIN. I planned to have two uncrustables on the bike along with my flask of GU. Did I remember to put the uncrustables in my transition bag? Of course not. Did I remember to take a GU before the swim? Of course not. Did I drink 4 full bottles on the bike? Almost. Do I feel like an idiot? Yes. Most importantly: Am I going to CRUSH SC next year? Damn Right!

Race Report is up. 

Bike
  • 3h 33m 47s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 15.72 Mi/hr
Run
  • 2h 51m 30s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 13m 05s /Mi
Swim
  • 51m 12s
  • 2187.00 yards
  • 02m 20s /100 yards

I survived. And I hurt.

I was disappointed with my time. At the beginning of my swim I got excited and went out too fast. My right shoulder started screaming at about the fifth stroke. After that I pretty much swam in slow motion. I would not be surprised if my swim time was close to an hour. My bike time was pretty poor and my run was awful. That being said, I am very glad that I did the race and am proud of my accomplishment. It also means that I have a great deal of room to improve.

The NAMC folks were fantastic! Their support on the run is what kept me going. When I went by the tent on my second (and last) lap they all went nuts. I felt like a rock star! About 20 yards down I overheard someone ask "Who is that guy? Is he famous?" I sure felt like it.

I'll do a race report when I get the splits. I think my overall time was 7:25 or so.

Happy birthday Anna!

I'll do a quick run and stretch this evening.  That's it.

zaichikmiller's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance