The girls and I tried to go and watch the bike and run portions of the Emerald Pointe triathlon only to find that the cops had shut down Holiday road. Oh well.

At W's urging I picked up a Cho-Pat brace from Big Peach.  It really helps.  I was able to chase my girls around for an hour with no discomfort, though my legs felt very heavy.  I still intend to follow Dr. Nik's instructions and not try to do any real running for another week.  I am only allowed to run enough to get well warmed up before stretching. 

• RACE DAY: Emerald Pointe Triathlon
I am frustrated that my knee is still giving me trouble.  It's fine when I walk but it hurts some when I go up and down stairs.  Despite the discomfort I really have the urge to run.  Fortunately, having constant kid duty keeps me from doing much.

Evening 2 of no Anna went well.  I was disappointed that I could not attend the club meeting though.

My muscles feel much better today but I still have a twinge in my knee when I walk.  I'll keep icing and resting and hoping for the best.

Anna landed safely in Moscow and is currently enjoying a 13 hour layover.  I've got the girls to myself for the next 25 days.  It's good that my older daughter has a pretty good idea of what clothes go together.  I'm hopeless.
Bike
  • 12m
  • 2.65 miles
  • 13.25 Mi/hr

Easy spin to warm up legs

My legs are feeling a little better today than yesterday.  When I left Dr. Nik's office they felt great but by the time I got home they were feeling sore again.  He thinks that I still have a good shot at being able to do the MCM.  I just need to make sure I don't run or do anything else that will aggrevate my IT band for the next couple of weeks.  That means that Emerald Pointe is out.  I think that I will bring the girls up there and spectate.

Run
  • 15m
  • 0.80 miles
  • 18m 45s /Mi

Easy walking to warm up legs.

Today my knee (IT band) is feeling a little better.  I no longer have sharp pains every time I try to bend my left leg.  I tried to do an easy spin on the bike but my knee was not in agreement with that plan so I just walked a bit.  Stretching felt very good.  My quads and glutes are very sore but my calves and hamstrings are just a little tired.  My lack of energy on the run kept me from pushing those muscles.  Unless my IT band makes a miraculous recovery I think I'm out for the Emerald Pointe tri and probably for the MCM too.  I'll see what Dr. Nik can do.

A few more comments on the race.

When I picked up my stuff from transition and headed to the car I thought to myself man, the bike is hard to push. I must be really tired. Then I realized that there was some squeaking coming from the front wheel. I then remembered that the last time I had been on the bike (a roswell ride with Neal) I noticed that the front brake was rubbing and commented that I needed to get Curtis to adjust it. I never did get together with Curtis. I had figured that with all the Gaps riding I had done I should have a decent bike time. I didn't and I think I now know why. Note to self: If you notice your brake rubbing, make sure it is fixed BEFORE you ride 56 miles. Also, I screwed up nutrition AGAIN. I planned to have two uncrustables on the bike along with my flask of GU. Did I remember to put the uncrustables in my transition bag? Of course not. Did I remember to take a GU before the swim? Of course not. Did I drink 4 full bottles on the bike? Almost. Do I feel like an idiot? Yes. Most importantly: Am I going to CRUSH SC next year? Damn Right!

Race Report is up. 

zaichikmiller's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance