All work and no play makes Felix cranky.  I have not seen my daughters awake since Sunday morning.  All-day application design sessions followed by working until almost midnight is starting to get to me.
Run
  • 34m 47s
  • 3.60 miles
  • 09m 40s /Mi

Nice, easy 5k run with Leslie and Andrew then a fast .5 mi. back to the office.

My legs are feeling much better than yesterday.  My left calf is a little sore and my left knee is bothering me just a little but I am confident that both will be in good shape for the race.

Is it too early to start carbo-loading?

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Swim
  • 25m
  • 1093.61 yards
  • 02m 17s /100 yards

drills

Strength
  • 25m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • BACK - Back extensions
  • SHOULDERS - Bent-over raise
  • SHOULDERS - Rotator Cuff - REAR

I am still fatigued from yesterday.  My wife and I went out on the Greenway for a nice, slow (12.4 mph avg.) 10-mile ride yesterday evening.  She is still getting used to riding a bike again.  The Greenway is definitely not the place to go if you want a workout but is still pretty neat.

This morning I just tried to work on drills at the pool.  Dynamo was so packed we had to share lanes even in the "kiddie" pool.

My legs are tired enough that I'm planning to just do a short, slow run tomorrow and then call it a week.  I intend to do some easy riding and swimming once I get to Florida.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5
Bike
  • 1h 52m 08s
  • 32.25 miles
  • 17.26 Mi/hr
Run
  • 10m 42s
  • 1.05 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

Went pretty much all out from Floyd Rd. to Dallas and back.  My goal was to do it in under 2 hours so I am pretty happy.  I'm not counting the 10 minute stop to chat with Leslie.  I went out too fast on the run, probably because running seems soooo slow when you have just been going 17 mph on the bike.  For most of the ride I was strategizing for St. Anthony's.  Here's what I know I need to do better on in order to have a good race:

I tend to be really dehydrated at the end of my rides, which would make the run at St. Anthony's a real suffer-fest.  I also need to do better with nutrition.  I generally work out first thing in the morning without eating and am usually alright.  But an Olympic tri is much more work than a 10k run so I really need more nutrition than some Gatorade, especially at my size.  I need to pace myself a little more on the bike.  Today I was going pretty much all out for 32 miles on the bike, which is fine if I get off the bike and into the car, but not so good if I've got to run a 10k afterwards.  My NAMC jersey causes some irritation under my arms so I might not wear it at St. Anthony's.  I think it'll be fine if I lose another 10 pounds or so.  On the swim I'll be a pasty-white beacon for people to follow.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 30s /100 yards
Strength
  • 15m

I did a few 200's and averaged about 3:40.  I am still trying to incorporate kicking into my swims (usually my legs drag limply behind me).  They guy from London who came swimming with me this morning still thought I was just pulling for the whole workout.  I think I'll pester Courtney on Sunday about how to kick.  My muscles felt fine this morning but my shoulder started bothering me at about 1000 yards.  I did some kicking drills and then called it a day.  I think that I've ramped up my swimming a little fast and my shoulder is not on board with it.  We'll see how I do on Sunday.

I have little pains in my calves, ankles, and knee that I figure will go away next week while I am tapering for the race.  I am not yet worried about any of them.

Run
  • 30m 36s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 52s /Mi

5k race route

Strength
  • 16m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Crunches (FB)
  • ABS - Crunches, Lying Oblique
  • ABS - Knee-Raise, Hanging
  • BACK - Back extensions

Three supersets, no rest

Ran the 5k Race Route with Kristen, Leslie, Henry, Leigh, and a new girl who's name I did not catch.  We went out at a pace that was a little too fast for Kristen though she did great keeping up as long as she did.  Leigh, Leslie, and I stayed under a 10:00 mile pace and picked it up the last 200 yards uphill to the finish.  Until that last "sprint" I felt like we were going at a pretty easy pace and was pleasantly surprised at the time.  My legs are feeling pretty fatigued after the running and biking this week so I'm just going to swim tomorrow.

I know I've not been doing well with caloric intake so far this week.  I've been so busy that I end up getting home after 8:00pm and having had only 1500 calories or so up to that point.  If I eat very much in the evening I don't sleep well.  I can't eat much before working out in the morning or I feel sick.  I've been resisting the desserts brought in to us so far this week because I don't want to eat crap.  But I'm really starting to feel the lack of calories.  I brought in some protein bars and intend to eat them during our breaks (when I can do my real work).  Maybe that'll help.

My shoulder is feeling substantially better today.  I was a little worried yesterday because it was pretty sore after swimming.  The bad news is that my lower back is bothering me.  I am in training all day and the chairs there really suck.  I did a bunch of stretching last night an this morning and will continue to do so through the weekend.  Hopefully a little dip in the lake will set me right.

zaichikmiller's Training Log

April 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance