• 55m 45s
  • 6.29 miles
  • 08m 52s /Mi

Possum Trot 10k

Had a nice run this morning. I saw Meredith and her sister early on and ran with them for a bit. My buddy and I were a little late getting to the start line so we spent most of the first mile weaving around people.  That's probably the reason for the slightly long distance.  I was definitely feeling yesterday's ride but I still managed to PR.

Yeah! I tweaked my Firefox settings a bit and was able to upload my data from my Garmin.

  • RACE DAY: Possum Trot 10K
  • 1h 57m 59s
  • 35.10 miles
  • 17.85 Mi/hr

Endurance bike on the SCT

  • 58m
  • 2600.00 yards
  • 02m 14s /100 yards

Masters at Westminster

It was a nice evening to ride the SCT.  I took an ice bath when I got home in the hopes of having something left in my legs tomorrow morning at the Possum Trot 10k. 

My first Masters swim went pretty well. I'm pretty sure that it's the longest swim workout I've ever done. I don't really know my times but I believe the 100's were about 1:45. My IT band didn't bother me on the kick sets but my right ankle started complaining and my hips are sore. On the drill sets I found that I am no good kicking with flippers when I have to concentrate on doing a drill. I ended up mostly letting them trail behind me on the single-arm drills.

WU: 300 easy swim

MS: 8 x 100 kick with flippers on 2:00
5 x 100 straight swim :20 rest
5 x 100 pull with bouy :20 rest
5 x 100 drill (25 right arm, 25 left arm, 25 catch-up, 25 swim) with flippers

My shoulder started bothering me a little on the last set. I think I'm going to banish my road bike until Curtis can take a look at my position.

I have a 2:00 Endurance bike on the SCT planned for this evening if anyone wants to join me.

  • 1h 00m
  • 5.84 miles
  • -----

Base run in Midtown

My shoulder is botherng me today, and was bothering me on the run last night.  I have had shoulder discomfort after my last three rides on my road bike.  I guess I need to stick to my tri bike.

If you want to have a good morning run don't do a brick the night before.  My legs were alright and my HR wasn't elevated but I felt out of gas.  I didn't get done with the brick last night until 9:45 and it was too late to have a real meal so I just had some gatorade and a little milk.  Maybe I should have tried to eat something anyway.  This morning we had a monthly meeting where breakfast was provided.  They had friut, yogurt, and chick-fil-a chicken biscuits.  I had a banana and the chicken out of three biscuits.

  • 1h 39m 21s
  • 24.56 miles
  • 14.83 Mi/hr

Brick part I

  • 45m
  • 4.75 miles
  • 09m 28s /Mi

Brick part II

I finally found a way to get Neal to work hard on a bike ride:  Drag him out right after he's run 4 miles of LT intervals.  He-he.

The little one was up for a good portion of the night with ear pain so no morning swim for me. I may need to take her to the doc so maybe no brick today either. If I can't ride I'll do tomorrow's base run on the treadmill instead. It looks like I'll be able to drag Neal on a 25 mile Roswell ride before running. So I'll get the brick done after all.

I need to HTFU!

Hmmm.  My normal shoulder problem is in the front of my right shoulder.  Today the back of the shoulder joint is giving me trouble.  I hope it gets better by tomorrow morning.  Wah Wah Wah.  I want my mommy.

Today is an off day, though I'll take the girls to the pool after work and I'm sure that they'll have me doing something strenuous to entertain them.

  • 45m
  • 2150.00 yards
  • 02m 05s /100 yards

Swim at Dynamo

I successfully resisted a large plate of homemade brownies that was set out less than 20 feet from my desk.  I think the fact that I am down 10 pounds since May 8 is helping me be strong.

I feel both good and bad about today's swim.  It's my longest swim workout ever, and the only time I've gone above 2000 yards in a pool (I did slightly more at SC last year).  The problem is that I feel beat, and my delts are really complaining.  I have pretty bad flexibility in my shoulders and it takes a lot of effort to get my arm straight above (in front of) my head on the reach.  My delts tend to get really tired and I end up just throwing my arms forward.  The good news is that my normal shoulder issue did not rear its ugly head today.  Maybe a year of specific stretching and exercise (and no bench, flys, push-ups, etc) have finally gotten it under control.  I was also pushing off the wall hard on the last few 100s.  For a while, in the middle of the set, I really felt like I was gliding through the water and I had a couple 100s around 1:40 that didn't feel hard.  I need to figure out what I was doing right and try to do it all the time.

WU:  10:00 mixed swim  -  350
MS:   30:00 straight swim  -  1600
CD:     5:00 easy swim - 200

As I sat here with sore legs I realized that last week was my biggest week yet for run, bike, and swim volume.  I guess it makes sense that I was really beat by the end of yesterday's ride.  And I also realized that my legs are going to have two days off.  Somehow I have the feeling that wasn't an accident.

This week's plan:
M - Swim :45
T - Off
W - Swim Masters, Brick 1:45/:45
Th - Base run 1:00, Core
F - Swim Masters, Endurance bike 2:00
Sa - Possum trot 10k
Su - Base bike 4:00

  • 4h 01m 09s
  • 70.81 miles
  • 17.62 Mi/hr

Base bike on SCT
Mavell - Van Wert - Mavell

I just couldn't get it up today. My heart rate that is. Some days you have it, some days you don't. I didn't have it today. At Van Wert I was really wishing that I could stop then. It was a struggle to get back to Mavell. It was also the busiest I have seen the trail in a long time.

I find it interesting that the Garmin says that I rode 70.81 miles while the turn-around point was past Mile Post 36. I don't know who to believe.

When I walked in the door my girls were very happy that I was home and excitedly said to my wife "distract him! distract him! He's not supposed to see the cake!" When you're 7 and 4 it's hard to keep a secret.

I again failed to hydrate adequately again today.  I intended to drink 1/2 bottle every 20 minutes, given that it was going to be over 80 for the whole ride.  I did alright for the first 40 minutes then I fell apart.  I ended up drinking about 3 1/2 bottles in 4 hours.  Not nearly enough, especially considering that I did not drink much between waking up and starting the ride.  I must be stronger mentally and force myself to drink more.  I also kept to tradition and hardly ate anything.  I ate most of a clif bar on the way to the trail and stopped at the convenience store at Van Wert to get some fig newtons.  Definitely not enough. 


zaichikmiller's Training Log

 June 2008 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30