Swim
  • 26m 41s
  • 2112.00 yards
  • 01m 16s /100 yards

Swam with the help of the current and a wetsuit. Tried to keep the effort moderate.

T1 - 3:36

Bike
  • 2h 53m 21s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 19.38 Mi/hr

Awesome bike - kept the HR right where it needed to be.

T2 - 2:40

Run
  • 2h 20m
  • 13.10 miles
  • 10m 41s /Mi

I had a great first couple of miles (8:57, 9:05, 9:16, 9:29), and then all of a sudden it felt like all of my energy was gone. I struggled big time the second half of the run. My HR was ridiculously low for the second half and my HR average was actually at the very top of Z2 for the whole run. I felt lightheaded and I was covered in salt at the end of the race. I think I needed more electrolytes and calories during the run.

Total time - 5:46:18

Overall - a very solid race for my first half Ironman. My goal was 6 hours and I totally beat that.

I learned a lot, and despite feeling so crappy on the run I really had a good time. My parents and husband were all over the run course and passing by the NAMC tent twice was a huge boost. I'm ready to sign up for the next one!

Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Racer # 1281

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7
  • RACE DAY: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Run
  • 10m
  • 1.12 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

5:00 easy, then 5x:30 pick ups with :30 RI

Bike
  • 09m 33s
  • 2.00 miles
  • -----

Quick spin around the neighborhood to make sure the gears shifted properly. Things feel good!

So this is it - a whole season's worth of training for one race.  I'm glad I went to bed earlier than I have been last night, because I woke up at 5:20 this morning on my own and there was no going back to sleep.  But I got a solid 7 hours, and I feel pretty rested.  Going to finish packing up my stuff, get out there for a quick bike/run and then hit the road to Augusta!

Forecast is tomorrow is 30% chance of rain until 9am, and then sunny with a high in the mid to low 80's.  It's going to be hot, and it's going to be humid.  My goal is to have a moderate swim (which if we are swimming with the current should still be pretty good), keep the HR between 160-165 for the bike, and then try to negative split the run.  In theory it all sounds good, but I realize it's my first 1/2 so a lot of this will be a learning experience for me.  And the other big goal - have fun.  My parents are coming and my husband will be there and I want to enjoy it.  I've worked hard for this!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7
I am very proud of myself.  When I first got my P2 I went on a ride and debris from the street kept getting stuck in the rear wheel cutout.  Someone showed me how to adjust the screws on the rear wheel holder thingie (it's a technical term) to give the wheel more room.  Well yesterday when I got the bike out of the car with the race wheels, I noticed that the back wheel looked a little close to the cutout.  I thought about taking it back to the bike shop, but then I just did it myself.  But, if the rear wheel falls off during the race, we'll all know why.

Rest day today.  I can do that :)

Week Plan -
M - Swim 1200 yds
T - Bike intervals (40 min)
W - Run 4 miles
Th - Swim 1300 yds
F - off
S - 10 min bike/10 min run
S - Race day!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 33m 48s
  • 10.54 miles
  • 18.71 Mi/hr

Tested out the Zipps on the Comet. Zoom fast! I tried not to push too hard - averaged 18.7 MPH for 5 miles out from the bike shop and came back at 20.2 MPH - all mid-Z2.

Swim
  • 23m 19s
  • 1300.00 yards
  • 01m 47s /100 yards

WU - 300 swim
MS - 10x60, :20 RI
5x20 all out, :10 RI
CD - 300 swim

Swam in the neighborhood pool - it's only 20 yards

Sport
  • Chiropractic
  • 01m

Final pre-race torture session w/ Dr. Nik

My race wheels are on the truck for delivery.  Now the question is - when will they be delivered?  I'm tempted to stay here and wait for them because I need to take them to the bike shop when they get here to have them put on, but they could be delivered anytime between 9am-8pm.  I suppose I'll go to work and just watch the website and come home once I see they are delivered.

Yesterday I finally beat my run total from last year.  I've already more than doubled my bike miles, which wasn't very hard considering I did not really bike last year until May, and I beat my swim yards from last year a couple months ago.  But I did run a good amount last year, and I've finally passed the mileage. 

Race wheels are in!

I just realized I did my last "official" training for Augusta.  I have a 10 min bike/10 min run on Saturday, but I don't really consider that part of the training.  Wow - I am almost there!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7
Run
  • 36m 15s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 04s /Mi

Not sure of the distance on this one - getting conflicting reports from the Garmin and the uploading software. So I'll err on the side of caution and go with the Garmin

Sport
  • Walking
  • 01m

15 min of pre/post-run walking

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm getting ansy without all the training during taper time.  Is it wrong to say that I'm totally enjoying it??  I can't tell you how nice it is to not have to set the alarm for 5am, or how awesome it is to leave work at 7pm and not have to rush home and get on the trainer until 9:30pm or go down to the gym and run on the treadmill.  And getting over 8 hours of sleep during the week?  That never happens except for this week.  I hate to admit it, but I'm loving this taper right now. 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.25
Bike
  • 40m
  • 11.60 miles
  • 17.40 Mi/hr

WU - 15:00
MS - 4:00 low z3, 2:00 RI
3:00 high z3, 2:00 RI
2:00 z4, 2:00 RI
1:00 all out
CD - 9:00

Mmmm - a little over 8 hours of sleep last night.  I feel better already!  Here's to 5 more nights just like that.

Getting excited - I exchanged my aero helmet at lunch and now have a complementary silver and white one that will not clash with my bike.  I got the tracking number for my Zipp 808's and they will be here Thursday.  Woohoo!

Please try to contain yourselves...

(Yes I realize it's not the most aerodynamic position, but the camera only has a 10 second timer and I haven't taught Phoebe how to work the camera yet.)

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.25
Swim
  • 24m 28s
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

WU - 2x200 swim
MS - 1x200 (aim for 3:15), :30 RI (3:17)
3x100 (aim for 1:40), :30 RI (1:34, 1:35, 1:34)
4x50 (aim for :55), :30 RI (:45, :45, :45, :45)
CD - 100

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 01m

Sticked calves; Stretched calves, quads

Horrible night's sleep last night - thunder kept me up until 11pm, and then woke me up at 1am, 3am and 5am.  I am so over this rain.

On a more positive note, I talked to my coach last night about my race plan for Sunday.  I think I have a good one.  I'm ready to do this!  Swim was nice this morning - I could get used to that distance :)

My coach mentioned she was having people over for dinner last night and she was like, "yeah, it's just the guy that won Kona last year and his wife and kids."  LOL - yeah, just Craig Alexander.  He's a regular at my house, too. 

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 6

lawyerchick's Training Log

September 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
  • May's totals