Run
  • 4h 42m 39s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 10m 47s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 10m 46s
  • 4224.00 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

I am HAPPY to say I'm an official Ironman!!!

First of all, a huge thanks to the family for their support, to Meredith (Go Dawgs!) for being so inspirational, to Rob, Aaron, Mark, James, Polly, Pam, Seth, and everyone else for their encouragement and support, I couldn't be more appreciative and thankful!!

I am still pretty wiped out, I felt better this morning but just the 4 1/2 hour drive home and going out to pick up pizza was enough to put me on my butt again.  This one may take a little longer to recover from!!  I'd have to say though, overall I'm feeling pretty good, some soreness, but mostly just totally run down.  More on that in the race report...

A quick run down:

Swim:

Set a personal best with the best swim I could possibly hope for, basically the best swim of my life...

Bike:

Had a very comfortable and fast first loop, but to me it felt like the conditions changed a lot for loop 2 where I really began to feel the heat, the winds seemed to pick up, but most importantly I started thinking about the marathon to come!  So loop 2 was about riding much more conservatively, backing down on the flats, taking the hills as comfortably as I could, and trying to get to T2 with as much in the tank as I could.

Run:

I knew I would be tested physically and/or mentally with something during the long day, it's a virtual guarantee I figured.  I just didn't think it would be on the run, what I thought would be my best leg of the race provided the calf held up, which it did.  With that said, what a test it was, but I'm proud to say I kept it together, figured it out, focused on being patient, and got my body back together for what I thought was a fairly strong last 10 miles to the finish.  And man what a finish that was.  I couldn't have been happier to see that Olympic Oval.  To have accomplished the journey, to have a great swim, a strong bike, and to deal with adversity on the run and stay strong, to cross the finish line with my kids, and to see more than 6 months of training pay off.... what an AWESOME experience!!!!! 

Just a nice rest day.  Peg went for a run around the lake which was great, I took the kids out on a little canoe ride in the very southern tip of Lake Placid where the hotel was, and just enjoyed the day. 

Tip for the future - canoeing is a tad much on the shoulders the day before an IM race!

Bike
  • 22m
  • 6.25 miles
  • 17.05 Mi/hr
Run
  • 05m
  • 0.65 miles
  • 07m 41s /Mi

Short brick:

Well, I think that's it for the prerace biking and running, would have gone a bit longer but it started raining again and I didn't want to get my gear all wet.

Will do a short swim in the morning, then its transition check in time!

Strength
  • 25m

stretching

Bike
  • 42m 07s
  • 12.89 miles
  • 18.36 Mi/hr

Comfortable morning ride, it's chilly up here, had to put a long sleeve T on underneath. I biked out in the opposite direction on the bike course so when I turned back I could climb and see those the last big hills again.

Nice morning ride, hotel is 2 miles from the village so it worked out perfect. Again, lots of athletes out. Gatorade had the swim course open and manned so it looked like a mini tri was in process so many were on the beach or in the water. Will hit that later today.

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1150.00 yards
  • 01m 44s /100 yards

Well, I'm officially checked in!! Got my IM bracelet, race package, chip, transition bags, the whole 9 yards. Then went and bought myself an IM running hat, always waned one.

Then hit the lake for a short swim. Man was the rain coming down, was kind of cool actually. Had some lunch, will just rest and go through the stuff in the race bag.

Run
  • 29m 20s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 20s /Mi

Arrived in LP around 1pm, very scenic drive up here. Quite foggy and occassional rain, but that just adds to the views.

The Olympic Village is well under way of being setup for the race, and many athletes were out on the roads biking and running. Came by the lake and a few were in there also!

Got settled into the hotel, brought the bike in, and unpacked. Stretched, drove down the street and parked at the village to go for a run.

Ran the top section of the marathon course near the lake to avoid the hills. Caught up to a guy and began chatting a bit. He was here from Cleveland for his first IM. The race vibe is very much in the air! Had a good short run, and am thinking of taking a nap. Quite tired from the drive and not sleeping so great. But very excited to be here!

Strength
  • 30m

situps, stretching, pushups, etc...

Bike
  • 33m
  • 10.67 miles
  • 19.40 Mi/hr

Short bike ride to loosen up the legs. Washed the bike and now its time to pack!

Swim
  • 19m 54s
  • 1150.00 yards
  • 01m 44s /100 yards

Just a short 20:00 easy swim. These race jitters are crazy!

Well, I ship out tomorrow. Got my list of what's needed ready to go and will start packing tonight. Should be up there around lunchtime tomorrow, and will shoot for a short, easy run, perhaps the only run of the week.

Though I can update my BT log and read others, my phone doesn't let me read any inspires which sucks. I can read messages in the inbox though. A quick thanks to anyone and everyone who's inspired me along the way. It's been tremendously helpful and motivating, what a great group of people on BT!

For all those people I know racing LP, stick to your game plan, soak up the experience, have a great time, and kick some friggin ass!!!

For all those people I don't know who are racing LP and who pound me on the swim and fly by me on the bike, just wait til I get my running shoes on.... Payback is a bitch!

A rest day, woohoo, I'll take it!  Working today and tomorrow, then I ship out Wednesday morning for LP!  Amazing how fast time goes by, I keep reminding myself before I know it I'll be treading water in Mirror Lake waiting for the cannon to go off.  Started making a list of all I need to bring with me, was shocked to see I am now on page 3.  When you factor in what's needed for race day, for each sport, plus nutrition, plus a few easy training days up there, etc. the list keeps going and going.  Crazy...

Overall I have to say I'm feeling fairly strong as of today, though I can't sleep for beans.  The calve is definitely an issue but at least I know it should hold out til the marathon.  With some luck, hopefully I can get deep into the run before it flares up, and when it does, perhaps it'll be gradual.  It's a good thought!  Either way, there's no more worrying about it, will just try to put it out of my mind from here on out.  My game plan is to stay focused on what needs to be done, especially nutrition, and just as important, stay positive.  

jms703's Training Log

July 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Time
Distance
  • May's totals
  • April's totals