Run
  • 1h 57m 38s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 08m 59s /Mi
RR's up! That went well, I thought. My son turned in a fantastic performance in the Troll Stroll. He was still wearing his race number and ribbon hours later. He ran with the 3-4yrd olds, so there were some bigger kids in his group, but he took off like a shot when they said GO, and ran the whole distance (about 250 feet). We was very excited that he had his own little finishing chute to run through. Still feeling a little sore, but not as bad as I expected to feel. B: pb&J Race: 2 gels, countless cups of Gatorade endurance L: hamburger (no bun) green beans, potato salad D: chicken w/wild rice

Weatherman's calling for 85 degrees (!) tomorrow for the race. Not what you'd expect for an October weekend in NY. I'm crazed at work today. I've got jury duty next week, and, of course, I've got a million things that are happening right now. I hope I hope I hope I don't get picked for a trial. Why couldn't this have happened when I was at my last job? I would have gladly sat on a trial for a month back then. I've got it all planned, though. Day 1: ACLU t-shirt, Day 2: Confederate flag hat, Day 3: NRA hat and "Rage Against the Machine" t-shirt. With any luck, I'll be out by Friday. Agh! Half-marathon tomorrow! Tomorrow! Yipe! Have a great weekend, everyone! B: Oatmeal L: Pizza, salad
Run
  • 35m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 08m 45s /Mi

Short run w/strides

I'm in a lunch rut. Nothing in my neighborhood seems appealing to me. I had a salad. Booooring. Who wants to go for a loooooong bike ride on Monday? I do! I thought I was going to have kid-duty, but it turns out, I've got the whole day off! Hoo-rah! Might be just the thing to work out the post-half-mary kinks. So, my wife's scrabble night went not so well. It turns out that her new scrabble club is made up of some harcore Scrabblers (or whatever they call themselves...) Yep, Mrs jmk took a beating. Which is a 7-letter word, worth an extra 50 points. I told her to stick to it though. I bet, once she gets better at the strategies and learns all the weird little 2- and 3-letter words that only Scrabble geeks (um, I mean, "experts") know, she'll be fine. "Ba" is a word, apparently. It means "The external soul, in Egyptian mythology". As opposed to "Ka", which means "The Egyptian spritual self". Note to self: Never, ever play Scrabble with an Egyptian theologian. B:yogurt w/musli, pb&J S: almond crunch bar L: Salad with some stuff mixed into it. Is the "salad bar where people mix your salad for you" just a New York thing, or do they have those everywhere? S: Grapes

Today is also a rest day, because my wife has another activity (Scrabble night w/the girls. Yep--she's the brains of the operation. I'm just the muscle and the charm. Shut up, Emily. I don't delude myslef, though. I think it's going to be about 20% scrabble, and 80% drinking wine and gossiping. And that's only if someone remembers to bring a Scrabble set.). I may get a chance to go for a short run when she gets home. I feel kinda blah. Not sick, just blah, so I was happy for the night off. I spent much of the evening persusing tri-gear websites and putting my list together for Santa. My relatives (wife included) are the kind of people who, if they don't have all their holiday shopping done by Thanksgiving, start getting antsy. Blah, notwithstanding, I'm getting really psyched for this race! B:YFG S: Lf blueberry muffin L: Roast chicken quesadilla D: chicken soup w/wild rice, salad S: pb&j
Le ce soir est la classe française de mon épouse, ainsi je ne m'exercerai pas.  Zut, alors.  Mais, comme je dis toujours, "épouse heureuse, la vie heureuse".
 So, I occasionally have this "I think I wanna do an Ironman someday" feeling every now and again.  And usually, it goes away after awhile.  Only now it isn't.  
  • B: pb&J
  • S: nuts, jerky
  • L:'za
  •    S: nuts
Swim
  • 35m
  • 1900.00 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards

I feel pretty good today.  Granted I didn't go for all that long on my last run, but there's definitely been some residual soreness following most of my runs lately, so I was happy to not have it to contend with this morning. I'm feeling pretty good about this race.  I'm going to race against my "virtual training partner" on my Garmin, since that worked really well in my last road race. 

• B: YFG
  • S: handful of nuts, some jerky
  • L: Salad (and a cookie.)
  • D: Pot roast (organic, grass-fed pot roast, if you're scoring at home)

Run
  • 37m
  • 4.25 miles
  • 08m 43s /Mi

Fast run over the brige

Sport
  • Softball
  • 4h 25m

umpired 3 games.

Umpired in the morning.  Just for fun, I wore my Garmin. According to the GPS, I traveled about 4.5 miles in the course of ump-ing the three games.  There's a huge annual street fair in my neighborhood, which we wandered through for a while. Kid took a short nap, then we went and got (me) a haircut.  He wanted to make cookies, so we made some oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies, which are amazing.  I also made this brisket thing that cooked in the crock-pot for about 8 hours, so I bet it's pretty good by now. 

Went for a short, fast run over the bridge and got home in time for Dexter season premiere and the Giants game. 

Training for the half-mary's going to be catch-as-catch-can this week, since my wife has a crazy after-work schedule. Plan is: swim tonight, rest Tues, maybe a short run Wed.  6-mile run Thursday, short run Friday, race.

•  B: YFG
  • S: Apple

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance