• 18.36 Mi/hr
Run
  • 15m
  • 1.70 miles
  • 08m 49s /Mi
Strength
  • 35m

lower body circuit and back/shoulders

Had time for a good workout tonight. Trainer/treadmill brick a d then a tough leg workout. My quads are gonna feel it tomorrow. summer Fridays start tomorrow! Out of work at 1pm! Have a great weekend everybody! B: YFG L: chicken soup post workout: chocolate milk d: not hungry snack: cherries

tired. I put my boy to bed and fell asleep right next to him. By the time I woke up, it was too late to go to the gym. B: egg sandwich L: roast beef sandwich- blea D:turkey sandwich
Went to my Dad's for dinner, so no workout. It's been so chilly and rainy here, it's kind of a bummer. Last Memorial Day it was 90 degrees, and this weekend, we'll be lucky to break 75. My in-laws are so funny. They're kind of out of touch with things. The day of my century, they went to the LBS in their neighborhood (in Long Island) to buy a bike for my son's birthday, and they were chatting with the guys in the shop. They happened to mention that their son in law was doing this crazy 100-mile ride to Montauk, and the shop guys said, "Oh, yeah, we know a bunch of people who are doing that, too! It's a great ride.." And my in-laws were shocked that the guys in the shop had heard of it. They had no idea it was such a popular event. I'm sure in their mind it was just me and seven or eight other people slogging away for 100 miles. They're coming to my tri next month, and my wife said that her dad said something that made her think that he thinks that they're going to be the only ones there watching. Heh. Her dad said, "Boy, Jonah's really into this whole 'fitness' thing." When I first told my mother in law about my century, her exact words to me were, "Well, I hope you don't fall off your bike and hurt yourself." And the scary thing is, I think she intended that to be encouraging somehow. They're so weird. It's a miracle my wife ended up as normal as she is. B: Egg sandwich on ww with swiss L: soba noodle soup w/vegetables D: BBQ brisket, baked beans and coleslaw. And a couple of martinis. I think that pretty much takes care of the 6000 or so calories I burned in the century.
Swim
  • 27m 05s
  • 1500.00 yards
  • 01m 49s /100 yards

Short swim--got to the gym late and this was all I had time for.

My "Race" Report for the Century is up. I felt fine this morning. No soreness at all, thanks to my fabulous Masseuse. I'm actually sort of looking forward to my next Century--the New York Century in September. If I'm still planning to do the HIM in October, that'll be a nice warmup. Now, about these legs. Here's my opinion of the whole shaving thing: Meh. Ok, I admit that my legs look muscular and all, and that's kinda cool. And I did appreciate not having to stand around and feel all sweaty after the century, which was also nice. And I did also appreciate that I didn't have to feel self-conscious about the masseuse massaging my hirsute legs. But it's only day 2, and I can already feel some stubble here and there, and frankly, I just don't think I'm up to the maintenance that's involved if I'm going to keep them this way. I could see doing it occasionally, for races and such, but I don't think it's going to be a permanent feature. I swam tonight, and it didn't feel at all different than usual. So there. If you're debating whether to do it, I'd say, go ahead and satisfy your curiosity. It'll grow back. Quickly, as it turns out. B: YFG L: turkey sandwich w/swiss & lots of veggies D: Salad w/sesame dressing, baked chips and Salsa.

Bike
  • 5h 39m 15s
  • 102.00 miles
  • 18.04 Mi/hr
Whew. That was not easy. I wound up going MUCH faster than I expected, due to a combination of a friendly tailwind and a couple of fast pacelines. I was at or above 20mph for most of the ride, until we hit the really hilly section in the last 15 miles or so. And I only got lost once (which is why it's 102 miles...) Pretty much most of me is sore right now, but I'm pretty psyched that I managed it in the time that I did. Pacing was right on, and nutrition plan, despite the lack of any uncrustables, was perfect. I'll do a race report tomorrow. Right now, sleeping. I was out the door this morning at 3am. B: Granola During the ride: 1 bottle Accellerade 2.5 bottles gatorade 6 Margarita shot blox 3 gels 1 oatmeal raisin cookie 2 fig newtons 1 pb&J 1 pb & nutella Postride: hamburger penne with some spicy tomato sauce, Endurox D: turkey sandwich, and a well-earned beer.

Pretty relaxed day. Ran some errends (got another spare tube, a new light for my bike in case I can't get a cab in the morning. Did some grocery shopping, and apparently, uncrustables are not available at my local ghetto-a$$ed grocery store. Damn. Wife went to a movie, so I hung out with the boy and we went to dinner and he helped me carb-load. And there was something else....what was it? I know there was something else I did, but I just can't remember what it was.... Oh, that's right...I shaved my legs. What the hell, right? Might as well see what all the fuss is about, and I'm pretty sure it grows back eventually. B: Eggs, biscuits, turkey bacon L: Turkey sandwich w/swiss on ww D: spaghetti & meat ball. Yes, just one. My son ate the others right out of my bowl.
Run
  • 24m
  • 2.75 miles
  • 08m 44s /Mi

Short treadmill run

Strength
  • 1h 15m

Upper/Lower body circuit

Finally feeling 100%, so I went to the gym for a short workout. I'm psyched for Sunday. It's going to be a little chilly (mid-60's), but that should be fine. I'll bring my arm-warmers and that should be plenty. It was about the same temp for my ride last weekend, and my ss tri top and arm warmers were fine. As for nutrition, I'll have: My aerobottle, which will have water only Two bottles on the bike, which will have accellerade. Hopefully, that should comprise most of my calories on the bike, but I'll bring a gel flask just in case. Between that and the rest stops evrery 25 miles or so, I think that'll be ok, since I don't think heat will be much of a factor. Tomorrow, just some errends, and getting all my stuff together. B: Clif bar L: Pizza, chicken salad D: broiled chicken, spinach post-workout: chocolate milk

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • January's totals
  • December's totals