Met a friend from Chicago who was in town, and went to a launch party for her company's fancy chocolates. I mostly drank the wines that were paired with the chocolates. We had a caterer come in to work who's trying to get our business and they brought this amazing vegan spread. I don't know what everything was, 'cause I missed their spiel, but it was pretty good. B: YFG L: Assorted vegan things D: burger
Swim
  • 1h 06m
  • 3400.00 yards
  • 01m 56s /100 yards

Couple of fast 500's, lots and lots of drills. Started really feeling good in the water by the end. My first 500 was at just under 9:00.

Back to work today, but slow as hell, since lots of people are still away. The only thing better than long weekends are short weeks, I always say. My legs are still pretty sore, which is a little bit of a surprise, since my run last night wasn't that long, nor was my ride on Sunday. Is it possible that it's DOMS from the century? I had almost no soreness at all from that immediately after. Anyway, I've gotta figure out this calf/achilles thing. Pretty much every time I try to run further than about 3 miles, I feel one or the other. They'll be no HIM for me if I can't get this squared away. I'm glad I haven't signed up for Bassman yet, 'cause at this point, there's no way I'd be able to finish a 13 mile run. I've got all summer, but, as (I think it was Yogi Berra) said, "It gets late early out there." Meaning that it'll be August before I know it and decision time. Luckily, I don't think this race sells out too early, so I've still got time. B: YFG L: tuna salad, chicken salad, greek salad (if you guessed, "lunch at the salad bar", you'd be right.) S: Clif bar, goldfish crackers (is there crack in goldfish crackers? 'Cause I can't stop eating them...) D: smoked turkey breast, leftover grilled onion & tomato salad, a peach

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 27.00 miles
  • -----

Crowded out there. Rode up WSH to 72nd Street, then across to the Park, then across to the East Side, and down the East Side greenway.

FINALLY, it appears that the city had begun posting people on the Brooklyn Bridge to warn pedestrians out of the bike lane, which is a HUGE problem on weekends in the summer. It's still a cluster-f*ck on nice days from about 9am to just after sunset, but it's better than it's been in a long time. It's a rare trip over the bridge on the weekends when I don't almost either get into a fight or nearly run someone over (or both). A few PSA's: (Note to oblivious guy in the Giants jersey: While I can understand how this concept might be confusing, please be advised that if you are walking your bike over the bridge, you are, in fact, a pedestrian, and not a cyclist, and therefore do not belong in the bike lane. Your pal, JMK.) (Note to clueless lady with camera: Please be advised that, although you may only be able to see a small segment of the universe through your tiny camera view-finder, it is important to remember that the rest of the universe does not, in fact, cease to exist. And just because you can't see the 200+ lbs of cyclist bearing down on you as you walk backwards into the bike lane, be reminded that both you and he remain subject to physical laws, specifically Newton's second and third laws, which you might want to review before your next visit. Best, JMK) Had a fun bbq later, then smoked a turkey on the grill for dinner (hickory and pecan wood,in case you're curious). Yum. B: ww pancakes, turkey bacon L: burger, tomato & grilled onion salad, smores D: smoked turkey. G-d, I ate like an animal this weekend. Back on the wagon on MOnday. Race in 3 weeks!

Run
  • 1h 05m
  • 7.25 miles
  • 08m 58s /Mi
Another super-fun day. Went with wife/son to the Bronx Zoo, and got there right when they opened, so we had the place mostly to ourselves for the 1st 45 minutes or so. Love that place. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home, and stocked up for the BBQ tomorrow, then got in a long run after everyone went to bed--beautiful evening, and it was nice to leave the house while it was still light. Lower legs continue to be an issue. I had to walk a little to give my calves a chance to de-cramp. I think I need to try stretching more before I run, contrary to the advice I've been getting. B: croissant, coffee L: pb&J, laughing cow cheese at the zoo D: gnocchi

Went to Fleet Week today, and walked all over the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship. Really cool. Needless to say, my boy dug it. He sat in helicopter cockpits, on tank turrets, and other vehicles, walked around a landing craft, talked to marine chopper pilots, tried on a gas mask, and played with a .40cal machine gun (don't tell my wife...). It was a looong day, so I'm beat. Probably walked 7 or 8 miles. I'll run tomorrow morning before the zoo. B: salmon fritatta L: turkey on ww sandwich with brie and cucumbers S: ham on ww sandwhich D: chicken soup w/ww toast
Bike
  • 53m
  • 17.25 miles
  • -----

Trainer ride. Legs were a little sore, so I took it easy

If there's a greater invention than the Summer Friday, I'm not sure what it is. Left work at 1pm today, went suit shopping (got two. Guess what color?) then went to the tri-store and got a new bathing suit. Sure I could wait until the one I have gets see-through enough that the women at the pool take out restraining orders against me, but I believe in being proactive. I went to the park later and had a catch with a friend of mine. First time I've thrown a softball in like 8 months, which is weird because softball used to be my sole form of exercise, and I hardly play at all anymore. B: YFG L: pizza D: steamed dumplings, mushu vegetables

Bike
  • 45m
  • 13.77 miles
  • 18.36 Mi/hr
Run
  • 15m
  • 1.70 miles
  • 08m 49s /Mi
Strength
  • 35m

lower body circuit and back/shoulders

Had time for a good workout tonight. Trainer/treadmill brick a d then a tough leg workout. My quads are gonna feel it tomorrow. summer Fridays start tomorrow! Out of work at 1pm! Have a great weekend everybody! B: YFG L: chicken soup post workout: chocolate milk d: not hungry snack: cherries

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • January's totals
  • December's totals