Feeling a little...not right. I was planning to take it easy tonight anyway (Runway night). I picked up the copy of the NYC tri from mburkhart's husband (Thanks, Michelle!) and watched it. I'm at minute #41, running up a hill, sometime towards the end of the first mile. (I can tell 'cause I still have my little water bottle with me, which I ditched at the 1st aid station). The voice over as I'm on screen is something like, "It's a hot day, and all of these age-groupers are thinking one thing: 'finish line, finish line, finish line." Yep. That's pretty much what I was thinking at that point. Also, "Ouch this f*cking jellyfish sting hurts." Two days to vacation! Tick tock! B: Granola L: broiled grouper, 1/2 doz oysters D: Chinese food.
Bike
  • 25m
  • 4.50 miles
  • -----
Sport
  • Athletics
  • 2h 00m
My tri club sponsored a "track meet". Everyone got divided up into different teams and competed in different track and field events. My team ultimately lost, but I won the pushup contest (61 in 60 seconds), the hammer throw, and came in second in the frisbee throw and the "rock put". That was fun. My new favorite show is "G's to Gents". I used to work with Fonzworth Bentley. True story. I think I need to start working, "You can't check a real G" into my daily conversations. I'm not sure what it means, exactly. There's a possibility that you might find this amusing: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=9627&photoid=77073 B: granola w/blueberries and almonds L: turkey wrap w/corn & balck beans pre-track meet: turkey sandwich D: Pizza--2 slices.

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.50 miles
  • -----
Strength
  • 1h 00m

Circuit workout

Light workout at the Y. Walked briskly on the treadmill and did a couple of slow, gentle 2-minute jogging intervals. Baaaaaaby steps. I registered for the NYC Century ride. It feels nice to have something on my calendar again, even if it isn't for over a month. The last time I did it, I rode my mountain bike, and I only did the 50-mile segment. I remember thinking that 100 miles seemed like a really long way to go in a day. And I still think so, only difference is, now I can actually do it. B: Granola S: Almonds L: Salad Zone bar D: Sandwich

Bike
  • 1h 50m
  • 29.00 miles
  • -----

Up the WSH to CP, one lap of the park & home. Really pushed up all the hills

Rode this morning, and happened upon the New York Half Marathon, which was heading downtown. Looked like fun--I was sorry I wasn't in the race, actually, although I'm in no condition to run 13 miles at the moment. I cruised along, watching the runners and the bands until I got to 72nd street, then went and did a fast loop of the park, and then rode home faster than I had ridden out. Ran an errend at the Apple store in SoHo, then later we're going to a going-away party for some friends. Hope it doesn't rain anymore today. B: Pb&j L: leftover pizza from yesterday...

Swim
  • 25m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • -----

Swam for a little while in the grownup pool

Went out to Jersey & spent the day at our friend's town's pool complex, which was fun. I mostly played with my son, but got a few minutes away to do some laps. B: PB&J L: Gyro, ice cream D: Pizza, salad, some other not-so-good stuff

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 30.00 miles
  • -----
I was going to see The Dark Knight today after work, but it was too nice a day, so I went for a ride instead. Glad I did that--weather was perfect and it was really nice. It's amazing to ride past the areas where the NYC tri was. You'd never know that any of the stuff had ever been there. Have a great weekend everybody! B: Granola, PB sandwich L: Gross Chinese food, which, in part inspired my decision to ride instead of sit on my ass in a movie theatre.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 17.00 miles
  • -----

Spinbike

Strength
  • 1h 15m

Circuit training

Well that’s a pain. The Doc I wanted to see doesn’t take my insurance. Back to the drawing board. I’m soliciting advice from the Brooklyn Tri Club. I’m also debating whether to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist. Thoughts? Going to the gym tonight to do some strength work as well as a spin workout. I’m waiting for the registration for the Rhode Island 70.3 to open. Wondering what’s taking so long—the race was last weekend. Don’t IM’s usually open for next year’s registration the day after they run? I hope it’s not open somewhere already and I’m missing it, but there’s nothing on their website about being open to applications. This damn jellyfish sting on my neck has gone from welt to painful scab. My doctor gave me some cream to put on it, but I bet it leaves a scar. It’s on the back of my neck, so no big deal, but I would have been satisfied with the finisher’s medal as my only souvenir of the day. B: Granola L: Cobb salad

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • January's totals
  • December's totals