Run
  • 30m
  • 2.50 miles
  • -----

Disappointing. Calf started to hurt about 15 minutes in.

Drove out to CT for a big party. Ate better than yesterday, but no workout. Going to try to catch a look at the Tour before bed. Looks like Dara Torres made Team USA, which is nice, because it means that there's still at least one Olympic athlete who's older than me. B: Cereal L: sashimi tuna, oysters D: soft shelled crabs, other BBQ, stuff
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.75 miles
  • -----

Very slow run on the treadmill

Took a short run on the 'mill today, stretched, etc. Didn't have time for much more. Went to a BBQ and ate unspeakably bad food. I just can't drink anymore. Not because I get drunk and make an idiot of myself, but, I swear, after one beer, my restraint goes out the window, and I want to (and usually do) eat everything in sight. Waited 'till the sun went down and watched the fireworks, which were spectacular, in spite of the rain. B: Cereal L: turkey & swiss on ww D: Lots of bad food. Yuck.

Bike
  • 3h 20m
  • 42.00 miles
  • -----

Up past GWB, back to 72nd Street, across to CP, two laps of the park, back to WSH & home.

Day off. No work. Kids w/ the babysitter. Wife's at work. No chores, no errend, beautiful day. Howzabout a bike ride! :) That was really really fun. I don't get to do that often enough. B: YFG on ride: 20oz accellerade, 12 oz gatorade (purchased at hotdog stand), 16 oz water+Nuun L:

Bike
  • 30m
  • 9.75 miles
  • -----

Hill intervals on the spinbike

Strength
  • 1h 10m

upper/lower body circuit

That breeze you just felt was my gigantic sigh of relief. They just posted the swim waves for the NYC Tri, and I’m going to be in wave 8 at the latest (there are 4 waves for M40-44). The latest I’ll start is 6:11am. This is a good thing because, for those of you unfamiliar with the gigantic cluster-fizzle that is the NYC Tri swim start, there are a total of THIRTY-SEVEN swim waves. They close transition at 5:30, I think, so the people in the last waves have to hang around for literally 3-4 hours before their wave starts. I’ll only have about 45 minutes to wait. Even if I have a terrible bike and swim, I’ll be starting the run before the last few waves even hit the water, and I’ll be finished long before they start their runs. This is good because it means I won’t we trying to find my family, eat, and pick up my checked bags amid a sea of 4000 other racers and their families at the finish line festival. B: YFG S: granola bar L: 1 slice plain pizza, diet Dr. Pepper. Post workout-chocolate skim milk D: lambchop S: chips w/salasa

Swim
  • 45m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Ugh. This was a struggle. Just wasn't feelin' it.

I can’t believe that the NYC tri is only 3 weeks away. I can remember about five or six years ago, going for an a.m. bike ride (on my MTB—didn’t even own a roadie at the time) on the West side highway and passing a bunch of really fit people with cool bikes and numbers on their arms heading home. I remember realizing that, “Hey, these must be triathletes!”. I spent the rest of the ride wondering what it would be like to do what they do, not really considering that it was something that I could accomplish, since, at the time, I was probably 20lbs heavier than I am now, rode my bike once in a blue moon, swam just for fun, and never ran, other than around the softball bases. It’s kinda cool that I’m on the doorstep of actually being one of those people. As Captain Jack Sparrow would say, “Funny ‘ol world, innit?” Swimming tonight. In retrospect, I think my swim on Saturday was ok. I had seeded myself closer to the front, and so that’s why I didn’t feel as fast—I was with faster people. I checked my swim time from last year, on the same course. I was a good 1:30 faster than last year, which is pretty good for a sprint, and especially since this year I went much more slowly up the beach to transition than I did last year. B: YFG L: Salad, bananas S: Pretzels, half of my son's uneaten pb&j D: leftover pasta w/some chicken

Bike
  • 50m
  • 16.25 miles
  • 19.50 Mi/hr
Run
  • 30m
  • 2.50 miles
  • -----
The Brooklyn Tri Club had a terrific day at the race yesterday. Aside from the guy who won 1st overall, I think we (yes, that’s right, I said, “we”) had two other AG winners, and two people take second in their AG’s. The AG trophies were Simpsons bobbleheads. A couple of other people finished in the top 5 in their AG or PR’ed (including me). Legs are ok today. I’m going to go to the gym and do a spinbike/elliptical brick. B: almond butter on ww, lf cinnamon bun S: Clif bar L: Tuna sandwich, banana

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • January's totals
  • December's totals