Got my MRI today. They put these headphones on, darken the room, and start playing friggin' Josh Groban and tell me "don't fall asleep or you'll move around and ruin the images." I'd have an easier time staying awake with an IV of morphine than with John Groanin' in my ears. Jeez, the guy's like musical Vicodin. I don't know how people listen to that. Finally, I decided I preferred to listen to the clanking of the machine. Wife's away, and got home too late to set the trainer up and everything, but I did do a ton of walking around today, so it wasn't a total loss. B: YFG L: pastrami sandwich D: ww pasta pomodoro with chicken
Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.25 miles
  • -----

On the elliptical with lots of hills

Strength
  • 1h 00m

upper/lower body circuit

I'm having a cocktail right now. It's a little Johnny Walker on the rocks. And if you have to ask, "which variety of Johnny Walker?" well, you just don't know me very well.... If, like me, you're a fan of snarky holier-than thou humor, and you also like bikes, you might wanna give this a look: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com Some of the references might not mean anything if you're not from NYC, but it's pretty damn funny. I went to a new ortho today, one who was reccomended by Socks, and (other than the fact that she kept me waiting in her waiting room for over an hour...) she was really good. A different approach than my last guy. I'm going to get an MRI tomorrow, and then we'll have a treatment plan for my calves based on an actual understanding of what's going on in there, instead of speculation. What a concept. She also told me that, although they won't say so on the label, it's perfectly safe and within the acceptable dosage to take up to four advil per dose if needed. That's good to know, although I think if I ever hurt bad enough to need four advil, I'll just step go right to vicodin. My wife is out of town visiting friends this weekend, so, other than chasing my kid around, it might be training-free. B: YFG L: Bialy S: Clif bar D: Salad, organic sweet & sour chicken w/brown rice

Poor Lolo. Hard not to feel for her. She said something like, “Since I won’t be able to inspire kids as an Olympic champion, maybe I can inspire them by getting up off the ground and coming back from this disappointment.” So close. You just know that “Hey, I think I’m gonna win” had crossed her mind just before she hit that hurdle. I’m not usually a fan of the “family reaction shot”, but that, too, was gut-wrenching tv. Not too many other sports can you go from first to last so abruptly in the middle of a race. I’m really happy for little Shawn. I know it must get really old telling everyone how happy you are to have won yet another silver medal and how it doesn’t matter that you didn’t win a gold medal, you’re just honored to have had the opportunity and blah blah blah…. (What? I’m happy for her. Shut up.) Every time Usain Bolt runs, there are 500 NFL and NCAA football scouts watching tv going, “How the he11 did we miss that guy?” 6’4”, 200+lbs with that kind of speed? Imagine being a 5’9” defensive back and trying to defend that? Nice display of sportsmanship between Team USA and Team China in baseball. Team USA knocks down two of China’s catchers (one was borderline, the other was clearly a dirty play, I thought), and China responds by hitting a US batter in the head with a pitch. That should pretty much put the kibosh on any talk by the IOC of reinstating baseball. Trampoline. Olympic sport. I don’t even have a joke here. I saw two minutes of it last night, and the announcer was going, “tremendous height on that last layout twisting double back!” And I’m thinking, well, duh—she’s on a friggin TRAMPOLINE!!!! Trampoline, for me, joins that list of “Sports that you can use to get into the Olympics if you’re not good enough to get in doing a legitimate sport.” Others on that list are: ice dancing (vs figure skating), synchronized diving (vs diving), rhythmic gymnastics (vs gymnastics), and skeleton (vs luge, except that at least with skeleton, you have to be completely insane as well). B: YFG S: Weird Kashi roll thing L: Mongolian bbq w/chicken breast, shrimp, vegetables
So, in triathlon related news: a guy from my tri club offered to give me a front race wheel that he’s not using anymore. Great, right? Well, yes, potentially. Problem is, the wheel is a “Spinergy race-x” wheel. I did some research on the web and it seems that this wheel has several incidences of catastrophic failure, resulting in some pretty serious injuries. He said that he’s had it for a couple of years, and that he bought it used, so I’m not even sure exactly how old it is. Obviously he hasn’t had any problems with it, but I’m not sure I should risk it. I should have done some research before saying yes, I suppose. I don’t want to be an “Indian taker”, but I’m having some serious second thoughts, even though I would love to have a carbon race wheel, even if it was only for the front. I think I’m going to end up passing on it unless someone can give me a really compelling argument as to why I shouldn’t. On to my Olympic Observation/Rant of the day. Today’s top story at the Olympics: Michael Phelps isn’t really doing anything today. Just kind of hanging out. No word on what the rest of the US Men’s Olympic swim team thinks about it. It seems to be the case that any sport that requires a group of five or more talented female athletes to be involved at the same time seems to favor the US (softball, soccer, rowing eights, field hockey, basketball). It's as though any given country can find a single athlete or small group of athletes to do well enough in a sport to beat the US, but if the sport requires a larger group of talented female athletes, the US seems to always have the edge. I'm sure there's some sociopolitical statement there, but I'm not sure what it is. Cute story about the (GIANT) girl who won the gold in the discus: when she was a little girl, she idolized Mary Lou Retton and dreamed of becoming an Olympic gymnast like her. But she just kept getting taller and taller and bigger and bigger, and it was obvious very quickly that she was never going to be a gymnast. She eventually grew to be 6'4", but she found her way to the Olympics anyway and goes home with a gold medal just like Mary Lou. The men’s triathlon was surprisingly compelling for a multi-loop race. It’s a little jarring to see how poorly the Americans have done in the Olympic tris because we’ve been hearing about how great all of them are for so long. Kemper was really the only one who looked like he belonged there. Reed hung in for a while, but Shoemaker was off the back from the beginning. Each athlete’s transition area was roughly the size of my first apartment in NYC. I’m surprised that they didn’t each have a valet. I’m not sure what’s worse—crashing into the first hurdle and having your race over before it even starts, or having the lead and crashing on the 9th hurdle. Or carrying the hope of your nation on your shoulders going into the race and not being able to start due to injury. Lotsa pathos happenin’ at the hurdle track this year. A tabloid today reported that Phelps is either dating Amanda Beard or a British Supermodel. Way to get your story straight there, guys. B: ww English muffin w/swiss cheese L: Roast beef and parmesan sandwich on baguetter S: low-fat blueberry muffin. (I know, I know—there’s no such thing. Humor me.) D: Indian food.
Bike
  • 15m
  • 4.50 miles
  • -----
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.35 miles
  • 08m 31s /Mi
Strength
  • 45m
I think I join everyone else on this site when I express my disappointment that the women’s tri wasn’t televised. I’m the first to say that triathlon isn’t a great tv sport, but surely it makes for more compelling TV than a marathon (seventy five skinny women running down a road. Thrilling.) , which was shown in its entirety. And it got pre-empted by gymnastics? I get that it’s about ratings but Jebus, how many times do we need to watch the same four girls do the same four routines in the same four events? Anyone catch the interview between Chris Collinsworth and Alicia Sacramone? He said something to her like, “Don’t feel so bad. I had two chances to win the Super Bowl and I lost them both…”. Do you think she was thinking, “Yes, but you probably got paid more in the two years that you lost the Super Bowl than I will make in my entire gymnastics career, which is now over, by the way, so it’s not exactly comparing apples to apples, is it, Chris?” Because I sure was. Is anyone else enjoying those studio interviews between Bela Karolyi and Bob Costas as much as I am? When Karolyi goes on one of his endless paranoid rants, I half expect Bob to whip out a Taser. “That’s an interesting point of view Bela…” BZZZZZZZZT! “And now, let’s head back over to the event finals with Al, Tim and Elfie…” How many more times do you think the other members of the US men’s swim team will be asked by a reporter to talk about how great Michael Phelps is before one of them punches someone? In general, asking Olympic athletes to talk about other athletes doesn’t make for great tv. When they asked the American bronze medal winner of the mens 100m dash what he thought of Usain Bolt, the winner and world-record breaker, he said, “Dude can run.” Hmm. You think so, doctor? Pretty much all the female pole vaulters are smoking hot. And I’m not even saying that because they’re…y’know…pole vaulters (immature snicker). I’m saying that, empirically speaking, they just are. I don’t know what the correlation is between being a female pole vaulter and being hot, but clearly there is one. The shot putters? Not as much. B: YFG S: This weird Kashi bar-thing L: Tuna sandwich, lf blueberry muffin. D: Chicken, wild rice

Bike
  • 2h 05m
  • 36.00 miles
  • -----

Up to the GWB and back

Sport
  • Soccer
  • 45m
Long ride this morning--still just exhausted from late night Olympic-watching, but felt fine. After lunch, we went to a park and kicked the soccer ball around w/my son for a while. I just realized I've been slacking on my nutrition posting--I'll resume it tomorrow.

Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.95 miles
  • -----
Strength
  • 45m

Misc core, upper & lower body work

Today my wife (who's been running about 3 miles pretty consistently for the last few weeks) asked me to help her to find a 5k to run. So that's incredibly exciting. We went to get her new running shoes this afternoon, and to replace her malfunctioning nike+ unit. My only concern is that she ALWAYS runs with her iPod, so it'll be weird for her to run a race where she can't have it, and she might not like it. We'll see what happens. I'm resisting the urge to be too encouraging because I have a tendency to get annoying about it. Went to the gym for a little while during naptime.

jmk-brooklyn's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • January's totals
  • December's totals