Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.04 miles
  • 16.08 Mi/hr

Did 30 minutes easy on the trainer to spin my legs out from this morning's run. Felt nice though my legs are still sore from the leg workout on Wed, but it's a good sore. I know I'm working muscles I haven't in a while and I need this. It will only make me stronger.

Run
  • 50m 38s
  • 5.53 miles
  • 09m 10s /Mi

We started training using the Maffetone method today. So I had to set my HR Alerts on my Garmin to go off at 136, yeah...that's right, 136!! (180-age-injury)... so I was 180-34-10.

We ran at 5:15am this morning and it was about 48 degrees when we started. Scott, Dale and I all ran together and we soon found out what pace we had to keep to stay within our HR zone. Funny thing is, we were barely running (prob could walk faster) up the hill and HR started climbing and my Garmin kept going off. It was funny because both Scott and I are almost identical w/ our HR. Mine would go off 1/2 a sec before his did. Since Dale was running in the middle, it must have felt like it was in stereo. :)

Splits & Avg HR were:
1- 8:57:39 130bpm
2- 9:06:27 133bpm
3- 9:12:35 133bpm
4- 9:21:59 134bpm
5- 9:10:00 135bpm
6- 4:51:50 135bpm (only .5 mi)

Did some good stretching afterwards but my butt hurts from the lunges yesterday. Looking forward to swimming tonight and sitting in the therapy pool.

Swim
  • 1h 30m
  • 3100.00 yards
  • -----

Did Masters Swim tonight. We did some mixed distance stuff. Swim overall felt pretty good and I'm finally starting to get back in a groove. After swimming 2500 meters pretty hard on tough intervals, we did a 500. That actually felt the best out of them all. I just relaxed got into a good balance position and just put it on cruise. Felt like I could have just gone for another 30 minutes. Finally a good swim day! :)

I asked Susan, the other swim coach to watch my stroke on the 500 (I figured that after 2500 yards if my stroke was going to fall apart or any inefficiencies would be over-exagerated after I was fatigued & she could pick them out) and she told me that my stroke looked solid and very fluid. :) To think of where I started and where I am, I am just amazed at the transformation.

Woke up and felt like crap today! Yesterday afternoon, I started feeling like I might have a minor stomach virus. Every 15 min or so, I'm running to the bathroom. :( Yuckers! Went to work 'holiday' dinner anyway last night and had some salmon, mashed potatoes, bread, a piece of choc cake... and 3 glasses of Shiraz. Needless to say, this morning was pretty rough. I'd like to go back home and just lay in bed but I have WAY too much work to do. :( So.. I'll just suck it up today!!! Aside from an extremely hectic day at work, today was one of my best training days so far. I didn't over exert myself in any of the workouts and just stayed consistent and in a rhythm. Felt very nice! Need to talk to Dale tomorrow, the Maffetone article he gave me is telling me something different than what we calculated. The actual calculation from the article is: Baseline: 180 Less Age: -34 Category B*: - 5 ------ Maffetone HR 141 *Category B= "If you have been currently exercising but are falling short of your goals... or you have suffered an injury...in the past year - then subtract 5..." So... I get an extra 5bpm! That's a good thing for me! :) Whoo hoo!

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 1 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 RHR: 55 Sick: 3 Hours slept: 5 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 45m
  • 5.57 miles
  • 08m 05s /Mi

Ran Seneca 5-Mile loop and part of the track to get to 45 min run. Felt good and kept HR pretty low for most of the run. It seemed to spike in the 2nd half of the run, probably a combination of some cardiac drift and the fact the 2nd half of that run is VERY hilly. It is about 65 degrees outside and beautiful w/ a light wind. Just enough to be able to breathe well.

Got back to work and my right plantar fascii ligament is starting to flair up. Took some ibuprofin and hoping it settles down... Felt SO nice to go out for a good run.

Strength
  • 1h 15m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Prone Planks
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Supine Hip Extension (FB)
  • LEGS - Deadlifts
  • LEGS - Wall Squat (FB)

Legs and core workout this morning. Did a good amount of stretching afterwards.

Didn't get in from Masters swim until late last night so I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. I did have 1/2 a PowerBar this morning before going to train. Maybe that's why I've been crashing in the middle of the am workouts. Talked to Dale about it this morning and he said it could be that I'm just not eating enough as well. So I'll be keeping better track of my nutrition here on out as well. I have a Holiday party tonight for work at 7pm. :( So I don't know how/when I'm going to be able to train today. I'm hoping to get a 5 mile run or a 45 min easy spin in today at some point.... Ahhh, time management! LOL! Will write more later, so stay tuned.... Well, I'm heading out to our departmental "Holiday" dinner. Foot is felling a little better, but the truth will come out tomorrow morning when I get out of bed in and step on it for the first time. Funny thing happened today... When I got changed this morning at the training studio, I realized I'd forgotten socks. :) Since I live nearly 17 miles away from the studio I figured I'd go "foot commando." Lo and behold, my boss calls me in for a 1:1 to discuss what's on my plate, etc, etc, etc. And he points out, "you're not wearing any socks." I just smiled and laughed and figured I'd let him think I was trying to make a fashion statement. Ok, well enough rambling tonight. Until tomorrow......

• Calories: 1424 From fat:169.45 (17.45g, 11.9%), From Carbs:882.08 (204.38g, 61.94%), Protein:372.47 (86.3g, 26.16%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 55 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 4.5 Overall Workout: 4
Bike
  • 58m
  • 14.95 miles
  • 15.47 Mi/hr

Did the Spinervals workout at the Training Studio this morning w/ Dale, Scott and Amy. It was a combination of cycling and core training. A LoT of high-cadence, single-leg pedaling. Got HR almost to 160, but 1/2 way through I felt like I was going to keel over. My cycling needs to come a LONG way before August!

Fun workout, but it's now 3 hours after and i'm still feeling dizzy??? What's wrong w/ me?

Have Master's Swim tonight. Looking forward to the therapy pool to stretch my legs. Soreness has seemed to subside somewhat.

Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 3000.00 yards
  • 02m 30s /100 yards

Master's Swim Practice at Milestone (BEST):

BEST Workout December 12, 2006

Warm up:

200 choice
200 kick
3 x 100 pull (every other 25 is fist)
3 x 100 (50 one arm drill/50 distance per stroke)

Main Set:

3 x 200 descend 1-3
4 x 25 fast
3 x 150 descend 1-3
6 x 25 (odds fast, evens easy)
3 x 100 descend 1-3
8 x 25 KICK (odds are fast, evens are easy)

Cool down:
200 easy

Total = 3000

Felt pretty good throughout the first half. Was doing 200's on avg of 3:05 and on the descend, I actually did a 2:59--- pretty quick for me.

Most of the distance stuff I led the 4 of us in the lane so I was "non-drafting" and kept everyone honest on the intervals. (Some like to 'chat' a little and get some extra sec rest..)

The second half of the workout I was getting pretty fatigued and getting a lot of water in my mouth because the pool was pretty choppy from all the people. I kept trying to stay close to the lanes to where I'd get hit or kicked and constantly be in the bubbles to purposely disorient myself and focused on trying to stay calm and sighting. (My biggest fear is the start and choppy water)

I finished the workout and felt pretty good. Very fatigued, but good solid 3000 yards tonight. Hopefully will rest good this evening!

Strength

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Crunches (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse abdominal curls (FB)

I'm starting to see some results from all the core training I'm doing. Maybe next time I get a massage from DeeDee, she'll compliment me on my progress!

Good workout day today! I'm pretty happy with how I am progressing on the bike; though being the type A person I am.... (aren't we all) I'm wishing it would just come sooner! Actually, the adaptation is probably happening pretty much right as it should. The one-leg drills today started to get a little easier and that "dead" spot is beginning to go away. (Seems like anything over 30 seconds though I'm very very fatigued and the dead spot starts coming back... something Dale will have me work on, no doubt) Work was pretty stressful, as always, but the pitches to Sr. Leadership went fairly smooth all things considered. I did not have to pitch, but it was very good to see the dynamic of the group so that I can try to anticipate who'll be asking what and I can be prepared. Nutrition was probably much better today. No sweets all in all... they even had cookies out today and oh, how I hated to resist them! But I'm better off! Bad cookies, bad! I did in fact have two clementines today... two days in a row eating fruit and so far... my body has not gone into shock. Tomorrow is strength training and I need to get a 5-6 mile run (with some short pick ups) in sometime after work. I have a work dinner at 7pm.. so it's going to be cutting it tight! Well, hope everyone has a great night and a wonderful training day tomorrow!

• Calories: 1828 From fat:378.85 (23.36g, 20.72%), From Carbs:925.59 (128.42g, 50.63%), Protein:523.56 (72.64g, 28.64%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 RHR: 57 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 5 Overall Workout: 4
Today is my day off! Yeah! I had a pretty restless sleep last night. I woke up several times, worried about all my presentations to Sr Leadership today I guess. I went to bed last night extremely sore, but surprisingly when I got out of bed this morning, my soreness had subsided just a little. Enough to make me walk with a somewhat normal gate again. Well, it's 5:20am and I'm off to work! Hope everyone has a great day today and their training goes outstanding!

• Calories: 3113 From fat:983.07 (106.55g, 31.58%), From Carbs:1760.05 (429.21g, 56.54%), Protein:369.89 (90.2g, 11.88%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 57 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 6.5
Bike
  • 1h 11m 45s
  • 19.41 miles
  • 16.23 Mi/hr

Did a little over an hour with the Training Studio today. Dale wanted us to do the workout on the trainers today so we did two of the Coach Troy Spinervals workouts. I'm pretty sore today and didn't feel like I got a great workout in, but definitely felt as though I was working pretty hard.

I'm still very tight and sore from this week. I know this will go away eventually... The fact that I'm this sore just means that I'm working and pushing myself harder than I normally would. Looking forward to all that positive adaptation when I become STRONGER! :) Otherwise, I'm just a wuss! haha!

Felt like I finally got a good night sleep! I woke up pretty well-rested, unfortunately I'm extremely sore! So sore it hurts getting in and out of the car. So I'm either sore... or just plain old.

• Health data: Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 57 Sick: 1 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 44m 54s
  • 5.40 miles
  • -----

Ran 5.4 miles with Dale and Scott at 5:30am this morning. I woke up and thought, "What am I thinking? It's 17 degrees out, I must be nuts." I was first to the studio this morning and those guys showed up about 5 min after I did. It was funny, but you could almost FEEL what we were all thinking... "Man it's cold, this might just really suck!"

We took off at about an 8:30 pace but quickly progressed to sub 8:00. In looking at my Garmin chart, my HR went from 130 to 160 in the first 10 minutes. I didn't say anything at the time, but I was breathing pretty hard.. (though somewhat quiet) I didn't want to be the "wuss" to say, hey... can we back off a little?

Mile and 2 & 3 were much the same, HR running high but I started to feel as though I was getting in a rhythm. I knew that I couldn't sustain a sub 8:00 pace right now. I've just lost too much fitness since Chicago. About 1/2 way through mile 3, someone was talking about pace and I mentioned we were running under 8.... and Dale said, "hey that's way too fast, we need to back down a bit." THANK YOU DALE!!!! :) So afer running a 7:45 and 7:59 for miles 2-3, we backed WAY OFF the pace and did miles 4 & 5 at 8:09 and 8:06 respectively. LOL! For as bad as it hurt, I know it will get better. Two months from now, I'll be back to running under 6's, I'll look back at this day and laugh my a$$ off.

After we got back to the door, we all agreed that running in 17 degree weather really wasn't all that bad. In fact, I felt like I was actually over-dressed. Seems that the more we do this cold-weather running, it'd get easier to figure out what to wear... to find that happy medium between too hot and too cold. Oh well, just suck it up and quite bitching. (That's just my motto to keep going. Told Cori that and she had a broken foot and kept going. She's my hero! Cheers babe!)

Overall, a good run and I'm looking forward to training! The more I train with Scott & Dale, the more comfortable and confident I am that I'll make the finish line at IMKY.

Till then... train, smile, train, smile, train... and smile some more! :)

Swim
  • 1h 15m
  • 2450.00 yards
  • -----

Did Masters swim at Milestone today. Since I'm extremely sore from weight training, cycling and the run this morning, I decided to go to the therapy pool and hot tub and hour early to try and loosen up the ol' legs. It helped somewhat. :)

There was another guy that just joined the team, Scott, that is also a triathlete there today. The coach decided that since we're really there for a different reason than the other swimmers that he'd put us in our own lane and let us work on freestyle swimming. In essence to keep us separate so that he could critique our strokes from the rest of the team who was doing IM sets.

The good news is that I think I'm starting to find my stroke again. Finally! I felt much more balanced today than I have in weeks. In fact, I was getting my 100's down around 1:30 (which is pretty fast for me right now)

He critiqued my stroke and said that he couldn't believe I was a 'triathlete.' He told me that if he didn't know me and just saw me in the pool that he would have thought I'd been swimming competitively since HS; not just the 10 months that I have been. He gave me some fine-tuning stuff to work on this week (mainly doing finger-tip drag drills but instead of TI-zipperswitch where you bring your hand into your armpit, he wants me to pull my hand out away from my body just a little bit) Sounds good, but I was pretty happy w/ the workout.

We didn't do much distance today, just fine-tuning our stroke. But at this point in the season, I really need that. I seem to have lost some 'feel' for the water and the only way I'm going to get that back is to get my butt back in the pool 3-4 days a week!

Workout:

WU: 200 Swim, 200 Kick, 200 Pull

PreMain: 8 x 75's (Kick, Drill, Swim)

Main: 4 x 200 Build (4min interval) followed by 50 swim (1:30 interval)

Drill Work: 3 x 50 with Coach

CD: 100 Easy

• Calories: 1852 From fat:94.65 (3.03g, 5.11%), From Carbs:1533.11 (110.3g, 82.78%), Protein:224.24 (16.13g, 12.11%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 57 Sick: 3 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 1h 01m
  • 15.94 miles
  • 15.68 Mi/hr

Did the Chris Carmichael "Power Intervals" video. HR data is inaccurate from a timing/% perspective as I forgot to hit "start" and do it again after my mother stopped over. I felt pretty strong throughout the video today though I stayed in the small ring the whole time. Most of the intervals I stayed around 20.5 mph and HR of around 145-150.

Drank a glass of Chocolate Soy Milk for recovery immediately after.

Strength
  • 1h 15m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • GENERAL -
  • ABS - Crunches
  • ABS - Crunches (FB)
  • CHEST - Incline DB
  • CORE - Supine Leg Curl (FB)
  • LEGS - Wall Squat (FB)
  • SHOULDERS - Standing DB Press
  • TRICEPS - French Curls

First day of training at The Training Studio w/ Dale. Workout was pretty good but I haven't lifted in a while. Dale had me use low weights in antipation that I'd be sore from not doing these movements in a while. I really think he's going to help me a lot and make me much stronger! I'm very excited!

Lifted for a little over an hour then Scott worked with me on stretching. Legs feel a little better today after stretching.

Strength workout this morning went well and I'm very excited to be training with these guys! Tough day at work, but to be expected a Friday in December with multiple top management reviews next week and all the X-Mas parties going on. So stress-level right now is pretty high, not to mention I'm feeling a little under the weather. Hoping that some training will flush all the 'junk' out of me. Rode an hour on the trainer when I got home to the "Power Intervals- Time Trial" video from Chris Carmichael. Felt pretty good the whole time... though I was in the small-ring throughout. I did keep the resistance pretty high and HR was kept between 145-150 during the intervals. Funny thing is that I don't really feel as though I got a good cardio workout in... like I really didn't do anything. Maybe I need to do the video twice? Haha.. I bet I'll feel today's activities tomorrow when I wake up. Tomorrow 5:30am.... a 1:15 run with Dale! This should be fun! I'm actually think after the run tomorrow heading out to see the TNT team running their 20 miler and running the last 5-10 with them to help bring them in and keep them motivated. Maybe just to play with them, I'll wear my Tigger costume!

• Calories: 2676 From fat:348.59 (36.44g, 13.03%), From Carbs:1553.66 (365.44g, 58.06%), Protein:773.75 (181.99g, 28.91%)
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 57 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 4

TriSean99's Training Log

December 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance