Run
  • 1h 00m 05s
  • 5.02 miles
  • 11m 58s /Mi

Tough run in the heat. Set a reminder on my watch for 160 bpm and during the first half I could get away with slowing the pace to bring it back down but the second half required that I walk for about 15 seconds up to 45 seconds to bring it down. At about the 50 minute mark I figured since I only had ten minutes left I could just run it in. That lasted about 5 minutes, I took another walk break, then ran 3 more, walked, ran. I'm glad I decided to swallow the pride and honor the heart rate because I feel pretty good right now a few hours later and I know I would probably have a headache and be a pile of crap if I had just run hard. I weighed myself before and after and I lost at least 2lbs, on top of drinking about 16 ounces of water during the run and another 8 plus a donut afterward, before I weighed myself the second time. Crazy! I expected the water I drank during the workout to negate any weight loss. This is good info to have and I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on hydration for my longer workouts from this point moving forward.

aaaaaaaaaand the visit is canceled again today. It's a good thing we woke the little boys up from their naps so that they could get ready to go to the visit that isn't going to happen.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 02s
  • 17.34 miles
  • 12.68 Mi/hr

Rode to the YMCA and back with my Brynnie. Easy bike day today in preparation for a long run tomorrow. Hopefully I can get outside while it's still somewhat cool-ish so I don't die like I did last weekend. I'm feeling more confident about my running the past few days, not sure why. I haven't had any major breakthroughs or anything. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. March 28, '08 was my first run of my IMKS training that year, so I'm already ahead of where I was back then. It's interesting to go back and read through the old logs.

Oh I forgot to mention, my Garmin was acting really strange and showing these crazy heart rates (like 190 two minutes into my ride, which I knew was way wrong). Coasting down the big hill on HWY 2 I hit 227 apparently. That's why the max HR value is ridiculous. I'd be surprised if the avg HR wasn't way off too.

Bio mom called and canceled the visit as the transport worker was on his way here to pick the little boys up. So he just popped in and told us and wouldn't you know it, two screaming crying boys. Nice. Super nice day today so we're going to go get re-finger printed for our f/c license (I thought they kept those in the system indefinitely???) and then I'm going to head out for a bike ride. Just going to do an hour easy. Maybe I'll ride up to the lake and back or do a loop on the trails. I'll figure something out. One thing I do know is that my legs felt pretty good yesterday and they feel good today too thanks to my recovery run!

Run
  • 35m 36s
  • 3.30 miles
  • 10m 47s /Mi

Interesting... my run earlier this week was at a slower pace, higher average HR, and flatter route (shorter too). Contrast with today's run when I didn't feel like doing it because my legs were pretty whooped after last night's bike ride, and you get: ???

My quads are starting to become hard as rocks. I LOVE that! -------------------------------------- Looking at my HR data for yesterday I realize I need to set aside some time probably Monday to do a LT test to determine some new HR zones, as the time spent in each zone only adds up to a little more than an hour, and obviously I was riding for a little bit longer than an hour. The last time I did a test was in 2008, so the HR zones are a little dated, to say the least ;-) -------------------------------------- Updated my dashboard with my s/b/r goals for 2012. After approximately 25% of the year has passed I'm at 19% for biking, 29% for running, and 35% for swimming. All three of those figures are surprising to me. I didn't think I was so far along on my swim goal. I figured I'd be farther along on the biking for sure, and the running was a little bit higher than I expected. All in all I think I'm on a path to hit my goals for sure, and may have to re-evaluate them in a few months.

Bike
  • 2h 10m 39s
  • 34.06 miles
  • 15.64 Mi/hr

Group ride--it was so nice not having to fight the wind because we had a pretty smooth paceline going. I even managed to hang on while we went up the Roca hill--something I had trouble doing last year.

I am SO excited about the group ride tonight! w00t! +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Cool, got three new orders for properties in Omaha and got them scheduled back-to-back-to-back on Monday. That doesn't happen very often! Hooray for saving time and money :)

Run
  • 31m 10s
  • 2.80 miles
  • 11m 08s /Mi

Comfortably paced 3-miler (okay, ALMOST 3-miler) to start the day off right. Ran with Brynn and Penny. Penny was being bad and ended up slipping her harness, so we just rolled with it and she actually did better OFF leash than she does ON leash! We were just running on the gravel road out by where we live anyway which doesn't have much traffic (we saw exactly 1 car in the half hour we were out there) and I think Penny really enjoyed it. We might make this a more regular thing :)

Swim
  • 26m 05s
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 01m 38s /100 yards

Didn't know what my workout was going to be until I was in the water. I settled on 16x50 all-out sprints, on 10s of rest. After three of those I was ready to quit, so I decided to do sets of 4 on 10s with a minute or so between sets. That worked well, but after 3 sets I could feel my form and everything kinda going to crap. I've been reading the Triathlete's Training Bible through again and took a pearl of wisdom from that book - if the form is failing then it's time to hang it up. Also leaving some in the tank factored in. So my workout was as follows:

w/u - 200

1:38, 1:40

m/s 3 x 4x50 on 10s rest

1-37
2-40
3-42
4-42

1-39
2-42
3-43
4-43

1-38
2-42
3-44
4-44

400 at RPE 5

1:48, 1:53, 1:49, 1:49

200 - 25build, 25 easy, build, easy

1:41, 1:42

c/d - 200 easy

1:54, 1:55

Oh man I looked at my long run from Sunday - took me 29:38 to go the first 2.8 miles (10:30 pace) and 42:55 to go the last 2.86 miles (14:59 pace). Eek! Okay I looked a little closer and it looks like my watch didn't auto-pause when I stopped and talked to those cyclists, so hence the 13 minutes (though I did walk a fair amount, so it probably would be at least 7-8 minutes longer.) OH! One last thing, I just remembered. I'm down to 208 lbs! Started at 223 this January 1 and have been working on portion control and not grazing in the evenings. So far it has worked! I also have a tuna sandwich almost every day (a big ol' honkin thing that satisfies my hunger for many hours). ###################### Woooooooooooooootington!!!!!!¡¡¡!!¡! The Wednesday night group rides start again tomorrow!!!

Taking this day completely OFF from working out. Even though I know I will want to. =================================== Welp, I wrote that last night at about midnight and so far only once, for a few moments, did I feel like doing anything, and that was only because the weather was so nice I didn't want to waste it by not going out for a bike ride. But after listening to several Age Grouper tri podcasts the Aussies and the Brits have beat into my head taking rest days very seriously, so that's what I'm doing today. I know it will be the best thing for me. It has also allowed me to focus on finishing up the first book of The Hunger Games which I started reading on Saturday, after having watched the movie on Friday with the fam.

Bripod's Training Log

April 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • June's totals
  • May's totals