1. 1:50
2. 1:51

Bike
  • 1h 15m 51s
  • 24.35 miles
  • 19.26 Mi/hr

BOOM

5 minute PR on The Loop!

Here is the most important thing you need to look at before each bike ride: http://hint.fm/wind Trying to figure out if I should take tomorrow off or what I should do. I told Brynn I would run 3 miles but now i'm wondering if rest might be a better decision. I'm biking the full 56 miles of the Kansas course Saturday so I can see the benefit of going into that fresh. At the same time this is the end of a bigbuild week with a recovery week next week and then two peak weeks before the taper so getting plenty of volume in with the little time I have left is also important. Brynn is running the half marathon Sunday so if I want to do my long run I will probably need to do it during nap time in the heat of the 90-degree day, which does NOT sound fun at all. I guess I could take tomorrow off, bike AND do a short T-run on Saturday, then take Sunday off and do my long run on Monday... I'll have to think about it.

Bike
  • 1h 06m
  • 13.23 miles
  • 12.03 Mi/hr

Whoops, accidentally put in 1 minute 7 seconds and it came up with 710 mph. I actually kinda like that ;)

Pulled the little boys along on a cool sunset bike ride to the lake, around it, and back home. I tried pointing cool stuff out to them (mainly birds and bodies of water... hey, it's Nebraska) and explaining basic cycling etiquette (like why we say "Passing on your left!"). It was a really fun time. I can't wait until they're older and we can get them on trail-a-bikes and they can get an even better sense of how to be a respectful and skillful cyclist.

Today is our 12 y/o's 13th birthday. So I guess now he's our 13 y/o. He's been acting like a teenager since he moved in with us though, so it doesn't freak me out to have a teenager in the house :) Fun fact: the word "teenager" didn't even exist prior to WWII. The word of choice was "youths" which appropriately described young people who were striving to become adults. Now we say "teenager" to describe those hormone-driven adolescents who are commonly found to be lacking in sense. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Going to hit the pool tomorrow morning after I drop the kid off at school. Going to start making swim a priority again, somewhat as a recovery tool (the water just seems to soothe some of the aches) and also because I'm a little freaked out at how little I've swum the last month or so. Best to exit the water fresh than wishing I'd done more time in the pool.

Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 1750.00 yards
  • 01m 44s /100 yards

Decided to swim a mile.

300 easy

1:44
1:48
1:49

5x100 form

1:40
1:41
1:42

500 easy

1:46
1:47
1:45

3x100 medium-hard

1:37

150 c/d
2:46

Run
  • 40m 40s
  • 3.78 miles
  • 10m 46s /Mi

Decided to run "three or four" miles with my wife. And that's just what we did! Took Penny with us and she was being kind of a butt. She was probably just a little too warm even though we stopped for water (twice) and there was a stiff headwind on the way back. I wore my light blue 1970s-style (aka short shorts) shorts that have the built-in underwear thingy in them. I knew I was going to chafe so I borrowed some Body Glide from Brynn (made sure to return it after I used it) and I don't think I got enough on there. It's not sore down there but while I was running it definitely wasn't "gliding" like I assumed it would. Lesson learned for next time.

OFF day today! Aches and pains and twinges and soreness, and it don't matter one bit because I don't have to do anything if I don't want :) As promised, the audio link from yesterday's sermon. Very good stuff. http://sermons.lincolnberean.org/single.php?id=307 Oh! I forgot to mention that yesterday I secured a deal on a PowerTap, so I am super excited to get that little beauty and see what kind of training benefit I can get out of it. Bought a new TV today. Our upstairs TV is a Dynex (Best Buy brand) that we bought almost two years ago and it is still working swell. We figured since we're going to adopt the kids we want the 12 y/o to have a place to go and watch movies that we don't want the little ones watching (not X-rated stuff, just "scary" stuff like Harry Potter and things like that). So I got on Newegg and found a 32" LCD TV for $209. It got 4/5 stars and only a few negative reviews, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. We're also thinking about getting something like an XBox 360 or something that can do media streaming and sync up with our home server that has all our movies, recorded TV shows, etc archived on it. Either that or I'm going to be tasked with building up our server computer with a beefier processor and graphics card so that it can be used as a game system, that way he and his friends will have something to do when they come over, and they can do it downstairs where they can be a little louder. He has already purchased a couple games on my Steam account so I think I might just go the computer route. Everything popular on consoles (more or less) is available on PC anyway, plus Steam is always having awesome deals.
Run
  • 1h 06m 56s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 10m 46s /Mi

First 10K since the Corporate Cup--September 2008. Longest run since that time. Did 4:30 run / 0:30 walk and every third walk interval I did 0:60 walk (so at 15, 30, and 45 minutes... skipped the last one and just ran from 55:00 until the end).

Brynn got up early and ran her 7 miler, I had to go to both hours of church this morning--first hour was "Dad's Class" and second hour was the service. Our pastor knocked it out of the park. I'll link the audio once they get it put up on the website. Anyway, came home, had lunch, and it was pouring rain intermittently in the afternoon so I took a nap instead of doing my run. Then the kids woke up from their naps, we had a slightly early dinner, then went to Lost in Fun, which is like the McDonald's play place on steroids with bouncy houses and all kinds of stuff--all indoors so you can go there whenever. It's pretty cool plus parents get in for free. Our friend bought a groupon thingy and it expired today so she gave it to us and we were able to get a punch card with it and can go several more times for free. Pretty nice! After Lost in Fun I had Brynn drop me off on the West side of the Holmes Lake dam and I used my walk up it to the trail as my warm-up.

Some right achilles pain going on... ut oh. Stretching well tonight and took a cold water bath (15 minutes) to hopefully get the recovery process started.

Bike #1
  • 04m 38s
  • 1.06 miles
  • 13.73 Mi/hr

Started with the watch in "Run" mode and when I switched to "Bike" mode it thought I was doing multisport. So this is the beginning of the ride, all-out effort with 252 max heart rate (right...).

Bike #2
  • 2h 18m 26s
  • 39.80 miles
  • 17.25 Mi/hr

And now you know... the REST of the story! /Paul Harvey

Stupid HR strap went bananas for probably the first 15 minutes or so.

Run
  • 31m 36s
  • 2.91 miles
  • 10m 52s /Mi

Z2 run--felt like I was working harder than Z2, though I did double check and made sure I could carry on a conversation while running by myself on the treadmill in the basement :) Did the usual 4:00 run / :30 walk

Bripod's Training Log

May 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals